Author Topic: Guidelines  (Read 5252 times)

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
Guidelines
« on: April 11, 2006, 02:31:40 pm »
Some of the heated discussions that have been going on recently make me think of groups that I have faciliated.  One basic principle with group work is the idea of group guidelines.  The group agrees to a set of guidelines that try to faciliate discussion and create as safe an environment as possible.  Guidelines are not always rules that are set in stone, i.e. if I'm in a substance abuse group and I come high, I will be asked to leave.  They're ways of discussing that the group agrees to in order to maximize the potential for open, safe and productive participation.

Another example:  confidentiality.  The group agrees to not disclose any identifying information about participants. I can say, oh this guy in group shared something that really got me thinking.  But I can't say, this woman who works the day shift at the supermarket named Estella said...

It's really, really hard to have in depth discussions online that go beyond "Oh I love what you said, I feel the same way".  And clearly this amazing group of people have history, including some anger, resentments, frustrations, etc., that any group would have.  But there's got to be a way of being more respectful of each other, even when there is not a personal sense of respect for another individual.  Otherwise, what's happening now happens more.  Built up anger vents, more anger erupts in respose, personal attacks might be made, moderators step in, censorship cries begin, etc.  I really hope that we as a community, of which I am only very recently even been a part of, can aim higher and be more reflective as we post so that we can really maintain the level of respect and caring that's been so apparent here.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
Re: Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 02:43:12 pm »
er...I missed something, unless you're talking about last week?
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 02:45:39 pm »
I think he's discussing the recent conflict between certain members of our community and how we might be able to avoid such conflicts in the near future.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 02:49:02 pm »
Yup.  Without rehashing them, there are a couple of recent threads in particular that started to get very heated and very personal.  The heated part I can deal with, when it's done respectfully.  The personal attacks take it somewhere else though, I think.

What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 02:59:53 pm »
Back on the main forum page there is a special are for personal thoughts, ie: a personal Blog.   It is called "Our Daily Thoughts" I think.

This is where some of the more person things should go.   Because I think most of don't need to read about who popped a woody when or that they have inspirational thoughts on the toilet.    Hey?  we all do some of our best thinking there, but we don't need to share that.  LOL.

This way if you post way personal stuff that other people don't want to see, then they don't have to go read your personal blog.  Easy as that.

Our family has grown.   And like any family, there are going to be personality clashes.   That is unavoidable.   But the rest of the family need not participate.   If any person "PMs" you and you are tired of their comments, just put them on blocked status.   I think we have that ability.    Harassing posts however, should be forwarded to Phillip for consideration.    Remember, we are his GUESTS here!    Try to behave as such.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 03:12:59 pm »
Yup, yup, yup, yup to all.

Back on the main forum page there is a special are for personal thoughts, ie: a personal Blog.   It is called "Our Daily Thoughts" I think.  This way if you post way personal stuff that other people don't want to see, then they don't have to go read your personal blog. 

However, that being said, you should definitely visit MY Daily Thoughts blog.  It's full of stuff you will definitely be happy to read.  Nothing distasteful at all there.  Really - go read it - now!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 03:25:09 pm »
OK, what have I missed?? PM me anyone.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 04:28:18 pm »

PM you?!?!  Why are you still here reading this?  You should the on the Daily Inspiration board reading my posts!!

:laugh: ;D :D :laugh: ;D :D :laugh: ;D :D
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 05:40:56 pm »
Thanks, Juan.  As Ruth Powers said to Marge Simpson when Marge suggested she call the police to report her child-support-delinquent ex-husband rather than stealing his car, "You're the level-headed friend I never had."

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 05:56:32 pm »

PM you?!?!  Why are you still here reading this?  You should the on the Daily Inspiration board reading my posts!!

:laugh: ;D :D :laugh: ;D :D :laugh: ;D :D

OK dear, I will! Too late just now, though...
I was just a bit afraid these comments might mean me when I said one thing personal 2 days ago about my BF. Probably just being paranoid!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"