Author Topic: OMG You won't believe what I saw on German TV - BBM related  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
OMG You won't believe what I saw on German TV - BBM related
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:35:27 pm »
I just come back from watching the third part of a documentary about the Rocky Mountains on German TV. Each part was about a different part of the Rockies and each part was made by a different journalist, had his own handwriting/signature/style.

Today's part was made by Gerd Ruge and it was about the southern Rockies, mainly about Colorado (nothing to hear of the Front-Range though, Lee).

It hit me like a ton of bricks right with the very first pictures: the music to the documentary was the Brokeback Mountain score  :) :) :)!

It began with images of the landscape and the Brokeback theme and I was like "Do you hear this? DO YOU HEAR THIS???" to my husband. I nearly jumped off the sofa.

Later they showed a market and the background music was "An Angel Went up in Flames".

Then a view filmed through the windshield of a car, the car driving through a similar landscape as Jack after the post-divorce-scene. And what music? . Right on: "A Love that Will Never Grow Old". And they made it sound like it had been played on the car radio! How cool is that?

Later again landscape combined with "Riding Horses".

It ended with great landscape shoots and "The Wings".

This are only the music pieces I remember, there was more of it. Throughout the whole 45 minutes, the Brokeback score was to be heard many times.

To be honest, the end with "The Wings" had me in tears.

Either Gerd Ruge or whoever was responsible for the choice of music (or both) must be a Brokie  :D!

He also reported of a family of sheep-breeders. How the sheep were round-up, carried in trucks the way up the mountains in early summer, about South-American sheepherders and so on. We saw them unload and counting the sheep, all with BBM music in the background.

And yet another nice side-event: Gerd Ruge also reported (shortly) about the Christian Fundamentalists/Evangelicals in general and about Focus on the Family and their leader Dobson in particular. Their headquater is in Colorado Springs. He did it 95% in a neutral way, letting the people and the facts speak for themselves. But you could hear the slight irony in his voice and choice of words.
I thought: now we need BBM music again as a counterpoint and to add to the slight irony. A split-second later the BBM music set in again. Yay, Gerd Ruge rocks! Gotta love that guy.

For all of you who can read German:

http://www.wdr.de/wdrprint/archiv/2006/10/fernsehen.html

Fortunately I recorded all three parts of the documentary (hope the recording worked well). This last part made my day  :).

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: OMG You won't believe what I saw on German TV - BBM related
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 06:44:12 pm »
Another link (again German, sorry for all others): the documetary has it's own homepage with many pics, videos and podcasts:

http://www.wdr.de/tv/dierockies/mediabox/index.phtml

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 07:15:34 pm »
Wow, Chrissi, I would say awesome, but I just found out that that word has been banned! Thanks for telling us about this!! I hope lots of Germans will come visit this summer (including you and your family!!)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:39:50 am »
Chrissi, that's very cool that they used the Brokeback music.  It has the perfect Western flavor and emotional quality for showing that beautiful scenery.

I watched several of the video and podcast links hoping to hear some of it, but they didn't use it.  Maybe they're not allowed to have it in the web clips.  It looks like a really interesting and well done documentary, though.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 12:56:29 am »
I love examples of Brokeback Mountain alive and well and in the main-stream.

O0

Heathen

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 04:23:23 am »
wow, Chrissi, that sounds absolutely wonderful.

I wish i had known about it. I can watch german tv over here.  I can't believe they used so much of the BBM score for that documentary. What a lovely tribute! You're right, there must be a brokie behind all this.  :)

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 10:14:11 am »
Wow, very cool, Chrissi.

If they showed mountains near Colorado Springs or Denver, that was the Front Range.

Did you catch any of the other place names? Where were the sheep-herders from?
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 01:03:24 pm »
Lee, Meryl, RouxB, Fabienne and Mel: Thanks for all your replies. It was a wonderful experience to hear our Brokeback music in the documentary.

Mel: I found a map of the places Gerd Ruge visited:

http://www.wdr.de/tv/dierockies/route/route_teil3.phtml

This is a picture from the shot out of the car, when "A Love that Will Never Grow Old" played:

If memory serves, the sheep herders were from Peru, but I'm not sure.

The link to the homepage I posted yesterday was only a link to the so-called Mediabox. I now have a better link with all the information about the documentary. I like specially all the additional background information that is provided on the homepage. About geography, history, people in the Rocky Mountains, enviromental damage, contrasts between rich and poor, and so on.
I bookmarked the homepage and will explore it within the next days/weeks.

http://www.wdr.de/tv/dierockies/sitemap/

Although the homepage is in German, it may be intersting for others, too. There are plenty of pictures. Especially the categories "Fotogalerien" (=photo galleries) and "Bildergeschichten" (= picture stories) are sure interesting, even without understanding the text.

One last link. It leads directly to the photo gallery of Gerd Ruges part (the one I am so thrilled about), but I recommend the others, too.

http://www.wdr.de/tv/dierockies/mediabox/galerie.phtml?gal=ruge

From Meryl:
I watched several of the video and podcast links hoping to hear some of it, but they didn't use it.  Maybe they're not allowed to have it in the web clips.

I wasn't lucky with the videos and podcasts yet. They just don't play on my computer. But I showed the mistake to my husband and am confident he'll fix it.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 07:28:46 pm »
I'm trying to place that photo based on the landscape. :D I don't think it's one of the routes I drive, though the route to Lee's part of the state goes through similar terrain, and some of his photos are less than 100 km from my house. :D (In fact, I suspect he was probably less than 10 km from my house, if he drove between a couple of the places that I know.) The sheep-herding isn't in my mountains, though. Rocks and terrain are wrong.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 07:46:37 pm »
Yes, that road does look familiar to me too! And here's a photo my daughter took a little later in the trip as we were crossing Monarch Pass:

Thanks for those links! Great to know more about my home state. And you know, oftentimes when I am driving or hiking around, I start to hear the Brokeback Mountain music in my head. Now I know I'm not alone!!

Picture #1 is of Rocky Mountain National Park, which is where we're going to have the Brokeback BBQ 2007 at the end of May.
"chewing gum and duct tape"