Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain inspired Fan Fic recommendations  (Read 32573 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Brokeback Mountain inspired Fan Fic recommendations
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2007, 03:05:16 am »
ok all... a new rec. Fortunate Son by wannabebrit.

It only has three chapters so far, but the updates seem to come fairly quickly. It's an AU, Jack and Ennis separate after Brokeback... Ennis goes on to marry Alma, but Jack gets drafted and sent to Vietnam. Ennis doesn't hear from him, doesn't know. No reunion, Alma divorces him. Then Jack comes back from Vietnam and drops him a line.

The writing is absolutely beautiful in this. It's so quiet, nothing overdone, just right. And the author has done her research on Vietnam and the experiences of soldiers returning from war and Jack's situation feels incredibly real to me.

Here's a link (it's to chapter three, but there are links to the first two chapters at the top of the page)

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/882967.html?view=9628183#t9628183

‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2007, 07:28:34 pm »
"Riding Fence" by Lucian (the first thing he ever wrote in ENGLISH, though it's his native language--it's SO great, and B73 has "Amber City in the Sky" going.

At some point in my life--which is already pretty long--I heard a LOT of "salt cellar", but my mother (that would be the equivilent of your grandmother, Leslie, time-speaking) said salt shaker (from Alabama) and my father said : Pass the salt.
(Chicago). (Father wrote for a living, all his life, so there must be something O.K. about it...he wrote good.)

B73 kissed me Satrurday night, but then, there was a whole lot of kissin' going on, so I won't take it too personal. marakeshsparrow and I watched season one (most of it) of QaF Sunday night--what a great show! Sid finally put BBM on at about 10:30 P.M. Saturday and people kept wandering into the room saying "I saw that movie."  (funny as hell!)I watched it all ther way through...the only one who did (I hadn't seen it since the last Slash Bash in Chicago). Oh yeah--SF and Oakland and Berkeley.... There were 5 guys there--an incredible number: Lucian, Pete Tannen, Michael, Dean (amdaz from DaveCullen), Sid--and about 15 women...sort of. We still ocasionally think we are.
The only person you don't mind talking during BBM is Maggie (B73), because she says things nobody ever thought of before, and should have. Like: when Cassie says "Girls don't fall in love with fun," and Ennis gets real still, he's thinking 'he didn't love me because I was fun; he loved me because I was me." See what I mean? Sheera was there too. And Melissa, the funny-as-hell raunch queen, with her beautiful five year old, Alicia...Grace, Tara, Meli,  whole lot of people.

A great deal of Chinese food was consumed, because of Dean, who is Southeast Asian. But he told me why all the buddha and bodhisattva heads from Thailand (now Thailand) 700 A.D. look African...Nice Dean.

Everyone called me "sweety." I guess you have to put up with that when you're 71.

Ikeep thinking I forgot one GUY..how could i do that?
I'd be over there a whole lot...if I could do Photobucket!

edited by mod: message unbolded. Titles of fanfics RE-bolded by twistedude!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 09:07:55 pm by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2007, 09:24:55 pm »
Very good point, RouxB. However, you said your grandmothers used that term. How about American men in their 20s like Jack & Ennis?

I guess it depends on what they take from their parents and grandparents. My sister is 18 months older than I am and her terminology is very different from mine. She uses many of the same terms my parents and grandparents did that I don't use. Oddly enough, my brother-8 years younger is closer to her usage than to mine.

I've never used the term "salt cellar" but I didn't blink at it in this context.

Just for fun, I didn't know the word fart til I was 17 and in college  :laugh:

O0

Heathen

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2007, 09:27:26 pm »
Julie-

I am so jealous! That sounds like a great experience. You writers are so inspirational-I wish I had your talent.

O0

Heathen

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2007, 09:16:54 pm »
I read, mostly. It was a lot of fun.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2007, 10:00:33 pm »
and B73 has "Amber City in the Sky" going

I love this story so much already (but then, when do I not love a story of Maggie's...) I can already tell she's going to rip my heart out and stomp on it with this fic, but it will be a sweet, sweet pain.

I just hope she keeps going with it... usually if she's going to continue with a fic she posts chapters at lightning speed, and it's been a few days since an update. I'm still waiting for her to continue with Riverboat, which she only ever posted a prologue to. Hmmm.....
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2007, 03:50:09 am »
I love this story so much already (but then, when do I not love a story of Maggie's...) I can already tell she's going to rip my heart out and stomp on it with this fic, but it will be a sweet, sweet pain.

I just hope she keeps going with it... usually if she's going to continue with a fic she posts chapters at lightning speed, and it's been a few days since an update. I'm still waiting for her to continue with Riverboat, which she only ever posted a prologue to. Hmmm.....

Oh yeah, I liked Riverboat too! I was wondering about it the other day. And Amber City in the Sky??!  ??? How come I missed that one!  ???  ::)

*goes off to check Maggie's index*

one_of_one

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2007, 04:13:09 am »
I loved Riverboat too, and wondered when she said she was finishing dMP whether she would continue or not.  I hope she does one day. :)

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2007, 11:11:41 am »
Very good point, Roux. Regional differences abound, too: tonic/soda/pop for carbonated beverages like Coke; bag/sack for the thing you put your groceries in; Italian/submarine/hero/grinder for those long sandwiches made with cheese and meat...

One of those websites that has "fun surveys" had one about regional US speech. Interesting - I discovered that my vocabulary is as mongrelized as my accent!

Meanings of words can change over time, too. e.g., the word "slut" at one time just meant a bad housekeeper. And "nice" used to mean picky or persnickity; e.g., "a nice distinction."

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2007, 07:28:45 pm »
Re: Amber City in the Sky: she talked to me a lot about it Saturday night, seems to have it all planned out (and there's as good deal of happiness in it, but the other stuff too). So I think there's good reason to hope. Y'know...her cat just died, cat of long standing. Might slow her down a bit.