Author Topic: Observations on second to last scene (Junior+Ennis in trailer)  (Read 8288 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Observations on second to last scene (Junior+Ennis in trailer)
« on: January 04, 2007, 06:05:59 pm »
I noticed something in Ennis's trailer a while ago and while looking it up at the screencaps at stripedwall today, I made two new observations (at least new to me).

All three observations take all place in the second to last scene, when Alma jr visits her daddy at his trailer.

Purple plaid in Ennis's trailer:

We all know the famous purple chairs at the Twist home in Childress:

I think there's a visual bookend to Ennis's trailer: Ennis has a purple plaid covering his bed:

The purple is almost the same color as the chairs, only a bit darker. It strikes me strange for Ennis to have purple plaid, and therefore it cought my attention. I think the color is chosen by purpose (therefore it's a bookend).
Within the story the best explanation for it is that it's probably a hand-me-down from whoever, just like the rest of the trailer's interior.

Junior's handbag:

Junior arrives, leaves the car, greets her daddy and they walk together towards the trailer. Junior has no handbag; I checked the scene at the DVD. But later, when she sits on the bed, there's a thing lying between her and the huge fan of which I'm pretty sure it's a handbag:

What do you think? Is it a handbag? If not, what else could it be?
Its position in both pics is slightly different, too.

Ennis's hat:

In this pic, Ennis's hat hangs behind him, at the wall between the "bathroom" and the rest of the trailer.It's above the blue rack in the background:

But when he comes back into the trailer after Junior has left, Ennis hangs it at the left outside wall:

I don't know why and whether this is important at all, but I noticed.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: Observations on second to last scene (Junior+Ennis in trailer)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 07:25:01 pm »
Think Ennis had more than one hat. He like jack wore several throughout the film.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 02:31:04 am »
Looks like the same hat to me....................

And yep....that sure looks like a handbag......

Not sure about the "bookends".........

wow, you are certainly very observant...
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 02:48:38 am »
Chrissi, I'll check the propmaster's book about the handbag.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 08:59:52 am »

Very nice work, Frau Detectiv!  :)

What do you think? Is it a handbag? If not, what else could it be?

It looks like tooled leather and I would say it's more masculine than feminine.  It's obviously the finest thing in the trailer.  Let's see, it's obviously for storing something very, very important.  Something flat.  Meaningful mementos.  Ennis's most treasured possessions....  :)

Thanks to Toast for these great screencaps, posted in this thread:
http://72.232.132.224/forum/index.php/topic,7284.msg137501.html#msg137501

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 09:01:00 am »
'Course it could also be what Heath kept his script in. :)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 10:35:48 am »
Good work, the hats I think, Ennis could have been hung when he came in with Alma, Jr. and then when he went out as she drove away, he had it on, maybe hung it in a different place? The handbag is a new one.

This reminds me of a scifi series I saw recently about "objects" from an non existant motel room where and event occured that gave them all different powers.....
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 10:44:42 am »
Hmmmm. I disagree that the tooled leather object looks masculine. The style looks like some deliberately Western handbags that I've seen. I know places in my town that sell purses that look like that... though my town caters to tourists, and this was 20 years ago.

I think it's actually consistent with Junior's style... the flounced shirt she's wearing, for instance. I remember those shirts from the early 80's, though I was never much of one for ornate purses, so I don't know if they were part of the style or not.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 06:08:07 pm »
Thank you all for your input.

Think Ennis had more than one hat. He like jack wore several throughout the film.

Yep. Could be another hat. Yet the hook at the left outside wall is empty while he talks to Junior.

Chrissi, I'll check the propmaster's book about the handbag.

Yes, please to that. I'm curious.

Very nice work, Frau Detectiv!  :)

Thank you.

It looks like tooled leather and I would say it's more masculine than feminine.  It's obviously the finest thing in the trailer.  Let's see, it's obviously for storing something very, very important.  Something flat.  Meaningful mementos.  Ennis's most treasured possessions....  :)

Would have been nice. Although I don't believe it, it's a very nice thought.

Hmmmm. I disagree that the tooled leather object looks masculine. The style looks like some deliberately Western handbags that I've seen. I know places in my town that sell purses that look like that... though my town caters to tourists, and this was 20 years ago.

I think it's actually consistent with Junior's style... the flounced shirt she's wearing, for instance. I remember those shirts from the early 80's, though I was never much of one for ornate purses, so I don't know if they were part of the style or not.

I'm with you here, Mel. I still think it's a handbag and I think it's a goof/mistake in the movie, that she didn't carry it with her when leaving the car.
I remember those flounced blouses from the 80s, too. I liked them very much and even had one of them. Back then, I would have loved Junior's blouse, but today: *uuuurrrgh* 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 02:30:13 pm »
I'm with you here, Mel. I still think it's a handbag and I think it's a goof/mistake in the movie, that she didn't carry it with her when leaving the car.
I remember those flounced blouses from the 80s, too. I liked them very much and even had one of them. Back then, I would have loved Junior's blouse, but today: *uuuurrrgh*

I hadn't noticed the handbag, either, Chrissi.  I agree that it's probably a continuity error.

As for the hat, he could have hung it by the kitchen when he came in because he was heading there to heat up some coffee, then retrieved it before Jr. left.  When he returns to the trailer, the film cuts away after he enters.  The next shot begins with him coming past the kitchen, hat still on, toward the nail by the door.  Did he use the bathroom?

The bedspread doesn't look either plaid or purple to me, though.  It seems to be a solid burgundy color.  Even so, it could still be a bookend, since burgundy has purplish overtones and is worn by Jack several times.  Casey Cornelius noted that purple is a blend of red and blue, and thus recalls the red blood on Jack's blue shirt.  It's mostly associated with Jack: he wears a purplish bandanna on the way down the mountain, wears burgundy at the reunion, wears a purple shirt in the scene with Lureen and her adding machine, and of course has those purple dining room chairs.  :)

There's another little continuity error I've noticed in the trailer scene.  As Ennis pours the wine, the cabinet above the sink is open.  A second later he is walking toward Jr. with the glasses, and the cabinet is closed.
Ich bin ein Brokie...