Author Topic: It's happening ..  (Read 30798 times)

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
Re: It's happening ..
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 05:22:38 am »
I agree with you Lucise.   One night there was at least 60 guests on and 12 users. I think alot of the guest come here to read the fanfiction which is great. Our authors definately deserve the audience and it's all a good thing. But I sure wish that our guests would register and let themselves be known. Even if they don't post it would be nice for the writers of the stories or threads  that they are fans of, to be able to thank them or correspond with them.

It does seem to me the user count has gone down drastically lately. It also seems that it's a very small handfull that keep on posting lately too.  I wish every user would at least drop a line on some thread when they visit. It would also be nice if the users would log in before they read posts. that would kinda give us an idea who is still here!
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 08:38:43 am »
Some of these 'guests' could be registered users who are just checking in for a moment...I have on occasion visited for a while without actually logging in. But I usually do log in if I plan on staying for any length of time.

Same here. If I don't have time and just hop on the board for a few minutes, I don't log in.

I noticed lesser traffic mostly at the open forum, which I find particularly pity since it's my fav board.

Barb: Have fun with the bunch. I'm surprised that the parents of the guests stay at the party, too  :o. But with 15 kids of that age it's probably better and easier.
We have the same rule about age and numbers of guests like Anke (give or take one). The first children's party is at the age of our, when they have been in kindergrten for a year and actually do have own friends. The first three years, only the relatives are coming for the birthdays.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 10:10:12 am »
Oh, yeah, the parents always stay down here.  Not sure if it is an all-American thing or a South Florida thing, but even if you have it at your house, the parents stay.  Will had his first one at three, at Gymboree.  I wouldn't have even done that, but his little best friend's birthday was around the same time, all their friends were in common (from the neighborhood), and the friend's mother split the cost with me.

Here's a picture of him and me at that party.  He was having "Happy Birthday" sung to him, but apparently his mind was elsewhere.  What can you expect for a three-year-old boy?

That went so well, we're doing it again this year.  They're both in pre-K and in small classes, so the kids are from school mostly, plus one or two of the old neighborhood gang.  (We didn't do it last year because Will had to have hernia surgery right around this time of year, unfortunately, so we just did a little get-together with a few friends here at home - turns out it followed your rule, Anke.)

Katherine, the thought of having a bunch of six-year-olds at my house is terrifying to me, too!  Especially since down here, their parents would be staying, so I'd have to have food and decorations that please them, as well. 

The party today is almost more about the adults.  We ordered little ice cream cakes (good call!) for Will and his birthday partner, but since it's at 3:00, we didn't order pizza for them.  Instead, we're bringing nibblies for them to grab periodically while they're playing (and really more for the adults - his friend's mom is making her "famous" spinach-artichoke dip and salsa this morning, and I'm making a chili-cheese dip that's cooking in the Crock Pot right now).  We keep finding as we go to these things that the kids really don't want to take a break from playing for long, even at lunch time, so the pizza goes to waste and you end up feeding them again at home, anyway.  But of course, now that we geared it more towards the adults (there are going to be about 25 - ugh), we're ending up doing more work than had we just gone the usual route.  Oh, well.  I don't get out much anymore, and I don't have dinner parties so much as I used to - everyone with kids and other obligations, now - so what the heck.
No more beans!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 10:40:58 am »
Good luck with the Party Barb! Lat kids party I was at was my 9 year olds nieces in November - she had a fdry ski slope party - they all seemd to have good fun!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 12:01:41 pm »
I don't want to be a party-pooper but guess I will be. 

The reason I think many of the new people don't post here (maybe elsewhere on the board they do) is that they are looking for what we were all looking for when we FIRST saw Brokeback.  Soooo, neighborly chats about kids birthday parties is not fulfilling their needs at this time.  It's not that I think our 'family' chats shouldn't exist - just trying to explain what I think...(I needa cowboy w/ a hardhat on.   :P).
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 12:16:10 pm »
  It's not that I think our 'family' chats shouldn't exist - just trying to explain what I think...(I needa cowboy w/ a hardhat on.   :P).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I guess thats why we have the different sections - most people that are newbies seem to post in the open forum areas first and then graduate to the more chatty area. Maybe the pople who ahve been here a long time should make more of an affort to frequent the open area more - I admit to being bad for that.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 12:34:04 pm »
I guess thats why we have the different sections - most people that are newbies seem to post in the open forum areas first and then graduate to the more chatty area. Maybe the pople who ahve been here a long time should make more of an affort to frequent the open area more - I admit to being bad for that.

I agree. I've been here since April 2, and I go to the Open Forum all the time (I'd better, since I moderate it!  :laugh:) and am still very interested in discussing the things newbies tend to discuss. But I don't think we should refrain from discussing other things we feel like discussing out of fear it will turn off the newbies -- or anyone else, for that matter. There's something for everyone, and nobody is required to read things they aren't interested in.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 10:46:43 am »
Hi,

I just joined, its make's me sad to read this thread, I feel like I have missed out on so much fun (and sadness of course), I so wish that I got into this all so much soomer, you all seem so great!!!!! 
I actually was thinking about BBM all year and reading about but I didn't see it sooner, I don't know why.  I had no idea so much was going on here.

How many users did you used to have on at one time before?

I always feel like I miss out on things....

I hope this board does keep going...

marlb42

injest

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 10:56:26 am »
Hey Marl...don't worry! we are growing and thriving...glad to have you here...(be careful going into any thread started by David925 -trust me- unless you have had all your shots!!)  :laugh: :laugh:

LOVED your post about the different perspective!! got us all excited...I haven't teared up over the movie in a while!

Jess

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 11:11:19 am »
I always feel like I miss out on things....

I know the feeling. I was a bit of a late-comer myself, I saw the movie two or three months later than most people here and I never was on the original Tremblay-board. Also I discovered BetterMost only a while later than most people here.
But this feeling will subside the more you participate here. Just jump in to whatever is to your likes. Don't be afraid to ask "silly" questions or things that may have been discussed before. We're a friendly bunch, we LOVE to discuss the movie and its impact on us to no end  ;D.

I hope this board does keep going...

It will! And one reason for it are new people like you who bring in a fresh breeze and new POVs on well-known topics.