Author Topic: It's happening ..  (Read 30815 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: It's happening ..
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 10:55:11 am »
I agree. I've been here since April 2, and I go to the Open Forum all the time (I'd better, since I moderate it!  :laugh:) and am still very interested in discussing the things newbies tend to discuss.

"Good for you," Katherine.  ;)

No, seriously, I'm glad for you. Over this weekend I came reluctantly to the conclusion that I was tired of rehashing issues that I had thrashed out nearly a year ago--at the risk of sounding conceited, tired of repeating myself ad nauseum for the benefit of newbies. That statement looks awful and embarrassing in black and white, I know, and it sure didn't please me any to realize it, but I have to admit it's true. I'm not sure what the longterm implication of this will be. Maybe it will just pass.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 11:38:45 am »

No, seriously, I'm glad for you. Over this weekend I came reluctantly to the conclusion that I was tired of rehashing issues that I had thrashed out nearly a year ago--at the risk of sounding conceited, tired of repeating myself ad nauseum for the benefit of newbies. That statement looks awful and embarrassing in black and white, I know, and it sure didn't please me any to realize it, but I have to admit it's true. I'm not sure what the longterm implication of this will be. Maybe it will just pass.  :-\

Jeff you shouldn't feel badly about that.  It's actually a good sign.  I think we can all agree that BBM, for us Brokies (in all it's forms) is not so much an artistic achievement as it is a life experience.  Folks like you (and me to), have already done all that nasty hard work coming to terms with the themes and issues that it brought to the forefront of our lives.  I also, find it tiresome to re-hash the stuff we have already hashed within an inch of their lives.  I look at it this way:  We're just a lot further down the healing road.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 01:31:40 pm »
Over this weekend I came reluctantly to the conclusion that I was tired of rehashing issues that I had thrashed out nearly a year ago--at the risk of sounding conceited, tired of repeating myself ad nauseum for the benefit of newbies. That statement looks awful and embarrassing in black and white, I know, and it sure didn't please me any to realize it, but I have to admit it's true. I'm not sure what the longterm implication of this will be. Maybe it will just pass.  :-\

What's ironic is that last time I checked you were still a particularly active participant in those threads, Jeff! Especially lately, I've noticed, after your slight hiatus a couple of months ago. Which is wonderful; your contributions are always intelligent and insightful and much appreciated.  :)

We all have our saturation points. I'll admit I'm not thrilled, either, with rehashing issues that I first hashed months and months ago. Despite what I said above, I'm not fond of repeating myself over and over (even though I sometimes do). There are topics I wouldn't revisit at this point: Sorry or S'alright? How did Jack die? and many more. Luckily, there are newer people, people who just saw the movie for the first time on HBO, to whom those topics are fresh and who are dying to discuss them. Those people are welcomed and encouraged -- that's what that forum is for, and I can't imagine where I hadn't had access to those conversations over the past year.

I don't think anyone should feel obliged to act as a big brother/sister and repeat things for the millionth time for the benefit of enlightening newbies. First of all, anything that's been said before is available to those interested in perusing the old threads, many of which are still being bumped. Second, part of the fun of understanding the movie is working out these things for yourself. I'm sure there are many insightful people among the HBO watchers, too.

But I remain interested in hashing out new things as long as there are any. Believe it or not, there are still depths to the movie and/or story that have not been plumbed ad nauseum. For instance, I was recently in a PM discussion with someone who had mapped out the metal imagery in the story. The explanation was complicated, but basically it revolved around the metals hangers that hold Jack and Ennis together and the tire iron that threatens them. There were lots of examples and I'm not sure I fully understood everything, but it was interesting.

And marlb42's post reminds us that even after all this time it's possible to see the movie in fresh, new, yet perfectly valid ways. And those opinions can generate good discussion, too.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 01:50:44 pm »
Scott and Katherine,

Thanks for those posts, Friends. If I'm not yet necessarily feeling "better," at least you guys have reassured me that I'm not completely unique in at least some of what I'm experiencing right now.

Much obliged!  :D

J.W.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 01:53:44 pm »
Scott and Katherine,

Thanks for those posts, Friends. If I'm not yet necessarily feeling "better," at least you guys have reassured me that I'm not completely unique in at least some of what I'm experiencing right now.

Much obliged!  :D

J.W.

Ok...let me commit sacrilege here.  The last time I watched the movie...last Summer...ok get the blow guns out...I shut it off half way through...I was....ok ready set blow...bored.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 02:10:41 pm »

Oh, goody. I've been waiting for this moment to bring out my Jack-was-a-top-at-the-Siesta-Motel argument, just waiting for you to run out of steam!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 02:50:19 pm »
Ok...let me commit sacrilege here.  The last time I watched the movie...last Summer...ok get the blow guns out...I shut it off half way through...I was....ok ready set blow...bored.

Scott you won't get a blow that easily!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Scott6373

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 02:51:47 pm »
Scott you won't get a blow that easily!!

What?  Huh??  Where's Eric?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2007, 03:09:59 pm »
Oh, goody. I've been waiting for this moment to bring out my Jack-was-a-top-at-the-Siesta-Motel argument, just waiting for you to run out of steam!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Scott, I won't shoot you. I'm really careful about how often I watch it, because I'm worried about that happening to me.

Again, we all have our different saturation points. I've seen it 17 times and am worried about getting bored, but I know people who watched it well over 100 times without that happening. I, on the other hand, have spent hour on hour here discussing it, and some people people got sick of doing that months ago.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2007, 04:57:13 pm »
And then there's me.  I've seen it about 25 times and spent hour upon hour discussing it here, and I'm not even close to being tired of either!

<--- has taken obsession to a whole new level

No more beans!