Author Topic: Gayest Foods Ever  (Read 57990 times)

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Gayest Foods Ever
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 03:38:23 pm »
bump! But nobody still told me the difference between ordering a mimosa or a buck's fizz??!!
They were two friends of mine

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 06:32:17 pm »
I like to drink Sidecars.  Are Sidecars gay?   :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 06:36:11 pm »
bump! But nobody still told me the difference between ordering a mimosa or a buck's fizz??!!

There might not be any difference, if you order it in the US. From wikipedia:

Bucks Fizz is an alcoholic drink made with orange juice and champagne and grenadine.

The drink is named after London's Bucks Club where it was invented, and first served, by one of its barmen, Mr McGarry, in 1921.

Buck's Fizz is the English version of the French Mimosa, and predates the Mimosa by 3 years.

Note: Although the version listed here, with grenadine, may be the original usage, most British people will understand 'Buck's Fizz' to refer to a mixture of orange juice and champagne; i.e. it is the usual British term for what Americans would call a 'Mimosa'.

Sometimes, where real Champagne is not available or cannot be afforded, a sparkling white wine or perry is used in its place.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 07:27:42 pm »
Note: Although the version listed here, with grenadine, may be the original usage, most British people will understand 'Buck's Fizz' to refer to a mixture of orange juice and champagne; i.e. it is the usual British term for what Americans would call a 'Mimosa'.

Gee. Here I was thinking of the elk Ennis shot and thinking "Buck's Fizz" was actually "Buck's Whiz." Now that would definitely NOT be gay!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 07:31:29 pm »
I like to drink Sidecars.  Are Sidecars gay?   :D

Maybe any drink with a name other than what it's made of is gay.  ???

Margaritas might be an exception. Or not.  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 08:11:37 pm »
Is Smurf Pee and Blue Hawaii's the same drink?  I remember ordering Smurf Pee drinks at the bars back in the '80s.

Those were definately gay.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 08:47:20 pm »
sidecar
"Like the Martini, the Sidecar has recently experienced a renaissance. The Sidecar was invented in the early 1900's and was popular until the beginning of World War II, but unfortunately was forgotten by most when the War came to an end. A few years ago, my request for a Sidecar was often met with "are you sure, that's what my grandmother drinks?" Luckily, the Sidecar is now enjoying a renewed popularity and can be easily had at most drinking establishments."  Brandy or cognac, triple sec, lemon and/or lime juice. Hmm I'd rate it moderately gay.

My vote for gayest drink ever? The frozen Daiquiri
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 01:05:23 am by coffeecat33 »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2007, 09:36:50 pm »
Is Smurf Pee and Blue Hawaii's the same drink?  I remember ordering Smurf Pee drinks at the bars back in the '80s.

Those were definately gay.

Well...I went searching to find out the ingredients in a Smurf Pee and found out there is a whole panopoly of Smurf drinks, including:

# Smurf
# Smurfette
# Smurfette On The Rag
# Smurf Juice
# Smurf Pee
# Smurf Pee #2
# Smurfs Envy
# Smurf Sperm
# Smurf With Hemarrhoids

as well as the Smashed Smurf.

The one commonality is that they all share blue curacao as ingredient, hence the name, I guess (blue = smurf). They all seem to involve alot of alcohol, designed to get you smashed in a hurry. Is that gay? You tell me. Seems to be more a characteristic of youngish men.

Reading the recipes, a Blue Hawaiian and a Smurf Pee seem to have subtle differences. Good to know, I guess, when you go into professional bartending.

Now, maybe this qualifies as a gay drink: Gay Puerto Rican Rockstar In A Velvet Business Suit

In case any one is curious, here's the recipe:

Whiskey, Canadian (Black Velvet)   3/4 oz.
Rum, orange   1 oz.
Pineapple Juice   1 oz.
Energy Drink (Rockstar)   1/4 can

Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into glass.

Enjoy...maybe? LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2007, 09:50:46 pm »
A few years ago, my request for a Sidecar was often met with "are you sure, that's what my grandmother drinks?"

:laugh:

(No offense to anybody's grandmother, but that comment just made my evening. Thanks!)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2007, 09:55:38 pm »
They all seem to involve alot of alcohol, designed to get you smashed in a hurry. Is that gay? You tell me. Seems to be more a characteristic of youngish men.

In this case, I'd say youngish gay men. In my day--college days--30 years ago--youngish straight men just drank great quantities of beer in short spans of time to get smashed in a hurry. At least, that's what they did where I went to school. But maybe times have changed?