Author Topic: What's the deal with all these UFOs, meteors and comets?  (Read 31325 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
What's the deal with all these UFOs, meteors and comets?
« on: January 13, 2007, 10:56:19 pm »
First it was meteors falling into people's toilets in New Jersey and flaming rocket parts in the skies of Wyoming. Then it was UFO sightings over O'Hare in Chicago and now this.....

Brightest Comet in Decades Amazes Stargazers
By MARY PEMBERTON, AP

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Jan. 13) - Nothing can keep dedicated stargazers from trying to get a glimpse of the brightest comet seen in decades -- not even temperatures as low as 40 below zero.

There hadn't been a lot of buzz about Comet McNaught, discovered just last year. But as the comet got closer to the sun, it brightened and the word spread -- the comet was special.

Martin Gutoski drove to a lookout about five miles north of Fairbanks on Tuesday evening, when skies were especially cold and clear -- good comet-viewing weather, even if it was frigid.

The amateur astronomer waited for sunset and watched as the sky turned salmon red and darkened. He turned his attention toward the spot on the horizon where the sun set.

"It is a very large spike, almost a vertical spike at sunset. ... I was more than impressed with it," he said.

Comet McNaught, discovered last year by Australian astronomer R.H. McNaught, was visible throughout the Northern Hemisphere until Friday, when it came within 16 million miles of the sun and became obscured by the sun's glare. It's now emerging for people in the Southern Hemisphere to enjoy.

Five hundred miles north of Fairbanks in Barrow, at the top of North America, Glenn Sheehan said he hadn't heard anything about a comet until a colleague spread the word that something was different overhead.

In Barrow's long, dark winter, something new in the sky is always welcome, Sheehan said. The sun set there on Nov. 18, not to rise again until Jan. 23.

"The only other outdoor distraction today was a polar bear and two cubs going through here," he said Wednesday.

Sheehan, executive director of the Barrow Arctic Science Consortium, went out to take a look Monday afternoon. He said he wasn't sure what the object was, briefly entertaining the thought that it was a plane.

"That didn't make sense, and I gave up and started calling people to find out," he said.

Comets are collections of ice, gas and dust that orbit the sun and usually have two tails, one made of dust and the other of ionizing gases.

NASA astronomer Tony Phillips says Comet McNaught is the brightest comet visible from Earth in 30 years. It is six times brighter than Hale-Bopp in 1997, and 100 times brighter than Halley's Comet when it appeared in 1986, Phillips told The Associated Press on Thursday.

"It will remain a spectacular comet for weeks, perhaps months, in the Southern Hemisphere," Phillips said. "It could emerge as the brightest comet in recorded history."

01/12/07 01:51 EST

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Re: What's the deal with all these UFOs, meteors and comets?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 11:35:58 pm »
The deafening silence in this thread tells me it mystifies you as much as it does me.  ;)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:55:36 pm »
Actually, a friend and I looked for this comet several times before it disappeared into the southern hemisphere. I hope it puts on a better show there. The pictures seem to indicate that it will.

There are always lots of things going on in the sky and I hope to be more aware of them this year.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 01:25:27 am »
They discover new comets all the time.

This one was just very bright, so it caught everyone's attention.

I'm not sure of the name, but earth passes through a meteor cloud in January as well, so that's not much of a surprise.

As for the rocket parts, considering all the junk floating around in orbit, that it doesn't happen more often should be the surprise.   :)

injest

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 01:27:48 am »
it's them ALIENS!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 08:20:37 pm »
They discover new comets all the time.

This one was just very bright, so it caught everyone's attention.

I'm not sure of the name, but earth passes through a meteor cloud in January as well, so that's not much of a surprise.

As for the rocket parts, considering all the junk floating around in orbit, that it doesn't happen more often should be the surprise.   :)

What about the UFO sightings over Chicago's O'Hare airport. Dozens of people saw them. Somebody said it was probably swamp gas. The last time I looked there weren't any swamps in downtown Chicago.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 11:57:42 pm »
What about the UFO sightings over Chicago's O'Hare airport. Dozens of people saw them. Somebody said it was probably swamp gas. The last time I looked there weren't any swamps in downtown Chicago.

Um, I think I would be more intrigued by UFO sightings seen in areas where aircraft don't commonly fly.

injest

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 12:32:43 am »
I dunno....if people are IN a place where they EXPECT to see things in the sky and see something that is UNLIKE the planes and helicopters that are coming in and out...

that would have more weight to me...because they would have a source of reference....That is a plane...that is a helicopter...that is NOT either what is it??

injest

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 12:36:31 am »
whereas if you were out in the middle of the ocean and looked up to see a light in the sky...how would you know what it was? you have no point of reference there...so I would distrust a UFO report in that circumstance more...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 01:51:49 am »
I dunno....if people are IN a place where they EXPECT to see things in the sky and see something that is UNLIKE the planes and helicopters that are coming in and out...

that would have more weight to me...because they would have a source of reference....That is a plane...that is a helicopter...that is NOT either what is it??

That's true too, Jess! A few of those people witnessing these strange crafts were airport personnel, including one or two air traffic controllers.

They all said they have never seen anything like it before.

God, Chicago is AWFULLY close to Indianapolis. I hope those UFOs aren't heading towards Indiana!  :o

injest

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 02:22:40 am »
That's true too, Jess! A few of those people witnessing these strange crafts were airport personnel, including one or two air traffic controllers.

They all said they have never seen anything like it before.

God, Chicago is AWFULLY close to Indianapolis. I hope those UFOs aren't heading towards Indiana!  :o

you think they might be looking for you David?? What did you do now??!!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 11:51:11 pm »

True, but it's not exactly like they become experts.  I grew up near an airport, after a while, you just ignore the planes and don't pay much attention to them, so you could miss something.  After all, seeing is NOT necessarily believing.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 12:36:05 am »
Actually, a friend and I looked for this comet several times before it disappeared into the southern hemisphere. I hope it puts on a better show there. The pictures seem to indicate that it will.

There are always lots of things going on in the sky and I hope to be more aware of them this year.

Many years ago, my then-boyfriend (now husband) and several other people travelled down to the Okeefenokee Swamp in Georgia to see Halley's Comet in its passage. We had our canoes so loaded down we looked like we lived there - charcoal grills, camera equipment, lawn chairs, coolers with steaks, beer, wine, every kind of snack food known to man, woman and Shetland Pony. It was a hoot of an experience.

I must say the title of this thread mystifies me, though - if this was determined to be a comet, what does it have to do with UFOs? I've seen both and trust me, they're not the same.   ;)

injest

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 12:38:05 am »
David was just saying that the skys have been very busy lately...

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 12:41:36 am »
Many years ago, my then-boyfriend (now husband) and several other people travelled down to the Okeefenokee Swamp in Georgia to see Halley's Comet in its passage. We had our canoes so loaded down we looked like we lived there - charcoal grills, camera equipment, lawn chairs, coolers with steaks, beer, wine, every kind of snack food known to man, woman and Shetland Pony. It was a hoot of an experience.

I must say the title of this thread mystifies me, though - if this was determined to be a comet, what does it have to do with UFOs? I've seen both and trust me, they're not the same.   ;)

And guess what, Marcia. When EDelMar and I placed the home page in the cache on Brokenback Mountain, on the top was a birthday message to you! You are immortalized on Brokenback Mountain!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 12:56:13 am »
you think they might be looking for you David?? What did you do now??!!

I've done all kinds of things recently, but I don't think I did anything to piss off a bunch of aliens.

I sure hope I didn't anyway.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 09:15:39 pm »
And guess what, Marcia. When EDelMar and I placed the home page in the cache on Brokenback Mountain, on the top was a birthday message to you! You are immortalized on Brokenback Mountain!!

Wow, what a great birthday present!

I'll definitely have to make a trip to Brokenback Mountain, in that case. Probably won't happen in December, though.... Hopefully I'll be able to swing it for the 2007 BBQ   :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 09:49:37 pm by Marge_Innavera »

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 09:17:00 pm »
David was just saying that the skys have been very busy lately...

Sure looks like they have -- unfortunately, we haven't seen much other than clouds lately with these storm fronts, but that's another story.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 09:29:07 pm »
Wow, what a great birthday present!

I'll definitely have to make a trip to Brokenback Mountain, in that case. Probably won't happen in December, though....   :)

Come with us at the end of May, then!!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 09:50:26 pm »
Come with us at the end of May, then!!

Yeah, I just added that - I'll see if I can swing it!

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 03:51:46 am »
Hope all of you in the Southern Hemisphere are enjoying Comet McNaught...it was a bust up here in the north.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 11:32:14 pm »
Here we go again....

(From the CNN web site)

What Was That? Strange Lights In Upstate Skies

GREENVILLE, S.C. -- It's the talk of the town and beyond.

On radio, on television and by Internet from across the country, the question of the day has been: So what was that strange light in the sky last night?

Hundreds of folks across the region called and e-mailed media outlets and the National Weather Service to report to report strreaks of blue or blue-green light in the night sky Wednesday at about 8:15 p.m.

"We had several calls last night from people around the area who saw lights in the sky," Larry Lee of the National Weather Service told WYFF News 4's Nigel Robertson.

What was it?

"We have no idea," Lee said.

Reports came from as far away as Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina.

"A blue light streaked across the sky in the Gaffney area. The light ... moved from the Greenville-Spartanburg area toward Huntersville, N.C.," Terry Coyle said. "The object had a bluish green tail about two miles long."

Law enforcement agencies also report receiving calls about the lights, and WYFF4.com correspondent Scott Wilson of Gastonia, N.C., also said he saw similar lights in the direction of the Upstate.

Due to national Web exposure on The Drudge Report people called WYFF4 from as far away as New Mexico to ask about the lights.

While no definitive information is available, WYFF 4 Chief Meteorologist John Cessarich said the most likely cause is a group of meteors streaking into the Earth's atmosphere.

Doug Gegen at the Roper Mountain Science Center agreed, but jokingly would not rule out the possibility of alien spacecraft.

"I mean, I can't say there aren't UFO's," Gegen said. "But it was probably a meteor entering Earth's atmosphere and that can cause multiple streaks and odd colors depending on what the meteor is made of."

So, assuming it was a meteor, should folks be worried?

"The sky is not falling as far as I know," Gegen said with a smile.

As for reports of helicopters in the area on Wednesday night, Cessarich said that he was able to confirm there were military helicopters on routine training missions operating in Greenville and Pickens counties.

There are reports of similar sightings from as far away as Europe.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 12:20:48 am »
AND another one.....

From WFTS Tampa, Florida

Is the sky falling?

Residents in a Tampa Bay neighborhood report a strange occurrence. A resident says a huge chunk of ice fell from the sky and crushed a Mustang this morning. Hillsborough County Deputies were called to the scene of 9406 Hill Drop Court after Raymond Rodriguez reportedly heard a whistling noise while he was changing his tire, he looked up and saw the ice chunk just before it destroyed his neighbors car. The owner of the Mustang, Andres Javage can see part of the ice chunk that ruined his car thanks to Rodriguez who recovered a piece and is keeping it in his freezer. It is not known where the ice came from, but the neighborhood is close to Tampa International Airport and there were several planes in the area around the time ice supposedly fell from the sky.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 02:44:38 am »
Laugh if you must, but they just reported seeing strange lights and formations in the skies over Hawaii!

The scientists and meteorologists are mystified... well some of them anyways.  :o

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 02:49:07 am »
David~

Maybe it fell from one of those planes?
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 02:52:54 am »
Geri, the lights in Hawaii were "moving in formation". At least this is what people in Hawaii said. I doubt contrails from an airplane would move together in formation as they fell to the earth. Also, the objects appeared illuminated in the night sky.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2007, 02:59:17 am »
Hmmmmm! Very strange! ???
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

injest

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 11:42:45 pm »
It is a puzzlement!!

I don't want to see one...but it is interesting to read about them!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 02:12:49 am »
It is a puzzlement!!

I don't want to see one...but it is interesting to read about them!!

Oh, I would LOVE to see one! I'd just love it!

I'll never forget when I was a teenager, me and some friends thought we saw a flying saucer one night. We were walking down the street and suddenly we saw this strange, round object in the sky. It had lights revolving around it too. We followed it for several miles when suddenly the thing started flying towards us. We stood and watched it, and as it came closer to us we realized what it was... it was an airplane with some electronic advertising revolving under its wings.  ::)

I would LOVE to see an authentic UFO or flying saucer!  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 09:32:14 pm »
I would LOVE to see an authentic UFO or flying saucer!  :)

So, have any of us Brokies actually seen a UFO?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 07:23:33 pm »
Maybe we were all actually beamed to the mothership back when we saw Brokeback, and that's why we're such a crazy bunch!  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 02:36:01 pm »
Maybe we were all actually beamed to the mothership back when we saw Brokeback, and that's why we're such a crazy bunch!  ;D

I expect for some of us that predates Brokeback Mountain by a very long time. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2016, 06:17:41 pm »
 :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2017, 12:29:33 pm »
I don't ever recall seeing one, but it would be cool to see.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!