Author Topic: Cold Case: Forever Blue  (Read 64241 times)

midwest-girl

Re: Cold Case Forever Blue: Brokeback all over again?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2007, 12:31:27 pm »
Yeah, I was really affected by this scene, because it shows you once again how strong Coop is, both mentally and physically, like his dad said he came out with his fists clenched.

So I am wondering about something: was that scene with his dad right after the christening? I guess it is, but that means that at the Christening Jimmy and Coop already had the talk where they, at least I think, decided to give it a go?

I'm not sure.  Probably, because Owen said he saw Coop and Jimmy talking about giving it a go when he was hiding in his patrol car and then he said he talked to Coop's dad and that was at the christening.  So yeah, I think that's the right timing.

mvansand76

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2007, 12:41:58 pm »
STILL SPOILERS

I'm not sure.  Probably, because Owen said he saw Coop and Jimmy talking about giving it a go when he was hiding in his patrol car and then he said he talked to Coop's dad and that was at the christening.  So yeah, I think that's the right timing.

Yeah I thought so. I was really confused by the end of the conversation just before they touched hands, where Jimmy says I don't know and Coop says are you sure and Jimmy replies Guess I don't have a choice. Do you really think that they decided to try a life together, it's such confusing dialogue. 

midwest-girl

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 01:02:23 pm »
STILL SPOILERS

Yeah I thought so. I was really confused by the end of the conversation just before they touched hands, where Jimmy says I don't know and Coop says are you sure and Jimmy replies Guess I don't have a choice. Do you really think that they decided to try a life together, it's such confusing dialogue. 

I honestly thought Jimmy was saying he doesn't have a choice but to keep on with his life with Eileen.  But I think at some later point they had another discussion where he opted to make a go of it with Coop b/c in their final scene when Jimmy says he's not queer he also says, "I wasn't thinking right when we talked."  One of the saddest things about this episode for me is that I think if Coop hadn't been killed Jimmy would have taken a chance on their life together.  I mean, he freaked out there at the end when Owen opened his big stupid mouth about the bath houses, but he hadn't gone ten steps away from Coop before he tried to call him back.  I don't think Jimmy had it in him to walk away from Coop.  It's so depressing....   :'(

mvansand76

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 02:26:46 pm »
I don't think Jimmy had it in him to walk away from Coop.  It's so depressing....   :'(

Oh I totally agree, the look on his face after he said "I aint queer" (BBM anyone...? :'() and he turns around said enough really, he would never be able to go through with that, with not seeing Jimmy. I also agree with you that they would have agreed to at least find another, more satisfying way to be together. That makes it more hopeful and at the same time a more tragic story.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 05:48:42 pm »
I definitely think BBM was the inspiration for this episode.  I'm guessing it was written back in March at the height of the BBM frenzy, and then filmed during the summer.  So many parallels to BBM.

That said, who wants to start the petition to have this made into a full two hour movie, with all the scenes between Jimmy & Coop we didn't see!  :D  :D  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 06:33:52 pm »
I definitely think BBM was the inspiration for this episode.  I'm guessing it was written back in March at the height of the BBM frenzy, and then filmed during the summer.  So many parallels to BBM.

That said, who wants to start the petition to have this made into a full two hour movie, with all the scenes between Jimmy & Coop we didn't see!  :D  :D  :D

<raising hand>

I'll sign it! Just tell me where to sign (or go)!  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2007, 07:16:24 am »

A big YEAH to that!!!!! This story deserves to be made into a feature-length movie!!!!

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2007, 08:49:47 am »
Don't you think it was striking in this scene that his dad was all upset (euphemism) about him being gay and not about him having a love affair with a married man?

His dad's concern was never about him having affairs with married people - remember the look of pride on his face when the older dad talks about Coop being a ladies man, like it was a badge of honour almost? His main concern was the disgrace Coop was supposedly going to bring on the family name - these are military or military-type environments where adhering to the code (a code where having sex with another man's wife or taking back-handers is okay, but being gay is not) is everything, as is reputation.

Oh, I'm loving this. It's just like the 'let's pick everything apart' discussions I used to have just after I saw BBM for the first time! :D
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2007, 08:54:01 am »

OMG, I was soooo thinking this at the end of the programme - imagining all the scenes building up to the kiss, the first time they meet, the conversations we never hear that build up to that amazingly romantic moment when their hands touch (my favourite bit - gives me goosebumps...).

What're the chances though, so soon after BBM?? :'(
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

mvansand76

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2007, 08:56:40 am »
His dad's concern was never about him having affairs with married people - remember the look of pride on his face when the older dad talks about Coop being a ladies man, like it was a badge of honour almost? His main concern was the disgrace Coop was supposedly going to bring on the family name - these are military or military-type environments where adhering to the code (a code where having sex with another man's wife or taking back-handers is okay, but being gay is not) is everything, as is reputation.

Oh, I'm loving this. It's just like the 'let's pick everything apart' discussions I used to have just after I saw BBM for the first time! :D

It's sick and twisted. It's like when they talk to Coop's father and the investigator says "No never THAT..." when Coop's father says "Not.... THAT..."

I am loving this too  ;D, I have so many more things I want to discuss so I hope we will be joined by even more people, we should get people who haven't watched it yet to watch this episode!

OMG, I was soooo thinking this at the end of the programme - imagining all the scenes building up to the kiss, the first time they meet, the conversations we never hear that build up to that amazingly romantic moment when their hands touch (my favourite bit - gives me goosebumps...).

What're the chances though, so soon after BBM?? :'(

I think it really is worth a whole movie, there is so much in this story that is so interesting. Hey anybody notice the Eileen/Lureen thing?  ;)

The hands touching was beautiful, such a small gesture with so much meaning behind it....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 09:00:57 am by mvansand76 »