Author Topic: What is your music lately?  (Read 51440 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What is your music lately?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 10:50:53 am »
I'm 49. I never listen to the radio, rarely go out to clubs anymore, am not really up on current music. When I read the lists of top 10 songs and albums, I've usually heard of only two or three on the list.

But I do like some current bands. The secret is having kids. My 12-year-old son knows more about music than I knew in college. He doesn't like all the same things I do, but in many cases the way I first heard the bands was by looking over his shoulder at music videos or itunes.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 01:26:58 pm »
Will isn't old enough yet to be able to recommend bands to me, but he does seem to like the same ones I do.  I guess he probably would no matter what I liked, but he really has taken a shine to Green Day and asks to hear specific songs when we're in the car.  Sometimes we listen to the radio, and I often have it tuned to a new rock station - that's the only way I find out about new bands like the Arctic Monkeys - I don't watch MTV or any of those anymore (not that they show music videos anymore, anyway).  He still seems to like the same stuff I do, even if he doesn't know I like it when we're listening to it.

Even my fuddy-duddy husband likes Green Day's "Warning" CD.  I call it a kinder, gentler "American Idiot."  There's a common thread that links all those songs together, too - it's kind of their precursor to the ultimate concept rock album.

Katherine, I will most definitely check out those two Soul Asylum CDs.  I'd love to hear "Runaway Train" again - they almost never play that on the radio anymore.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 01:46:07 pm »
I was at a party last summer -- parents and kids celebrating the end of the youth baseball season -- and the subject of music came up and a woman started castigating me for letting my kids listen to Green Day. I assumed at first she meant the swear words, so I explained that I don't get upset about my kids hearing profanity in music or movies as long as I don't have to hear it coming out of their mouths.

But no! The profanity wasn't even her main concern (though that was a problem, too). She was talking about the politics! She asked how I could let my children listen to music that criticizes our country and our president!! I almost did a spit take with my pinot grigio. I live in a very liberal neighborhood, and that kind of attitude is SO unheard of. Her ex-husband, who happened to be the baseball coach, jumped in and said his own politics were closer to mine, and gave me a high five. It was a very weird moment.

Anyway, Barb, it's amazing how much we've been finding in common lately -- considering you're generally more of a "blue" person and I tend to be more of a "tan" person. (You know what I'm mean by blue and tan, right?  ;))

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 01:57:40 pm »
Barb and I will turn you into a Gyllenhaalic yet, Katherine!!

Speaking of heat about politics, you wouldn't believe the heat I caught for taking my kids to a Crosby, Stills Nash & Young concert last summer! Afterwards, I got the CD Living With War by Neil Young and my trumpeter son refuses to listen to it even tho there are a couple of fantastic trumpet solos on it (one is on "Let's Impeach the President")

and only half-off-topic I understand Obama filed his election paperwork, yay!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 05:06:20 am »
Barb and I will turn you into a Gyllenhaalic yet, Katherine!!

Speaking of heat about politics, you wouldn't believe the heat I caught for taking my kids to a Crosby, Stills Nash & Young concert last summer! Afterwards, I got the CD Living With War by Neil Young and my trumpeter son refuses to listen to it even tho there are a couple of fantastic trumpet solos on it (one is on "Let's Impeach the President")

and only half-off-topic I understand Obama filed his election paperwork, yay!!

Your som is a trumpeter!? Cool! (I play a cornet - which is basically a trumpet)
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 07:54:04 am »
Your som is a trumpeter!? Cool! (I play a cornet - which is basically a trumpet)

I think Courtney plays the trumpet.  I think that's why she chose that blues musician trumpeter emoticon at IMDb for her sig line.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 08:18:27 am »
yes, you're right she does - although we've never said much about it in conversation - Anke is also a Euphonium player! (Another Brass instrument)

we could form a little online Bettermost Band!!

heh.. do you think the chatroom would facilitate that!?!  ;D :laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 08:27:09 am »
We have quite a few musicians here.  It would be so cool to have a way to play together.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 01:07:14 pm »
And I can't talk about music I love and leave out ..

The Mamas and the Papas

especially music by Mama Cass Elliot.. :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2007, 05:10:26 pm »
Anyway, Barb, it's amazing how much we've been finding in common lately -- considering you're generally more of a "blue" person and I tend to be more of a "tan" person. (You know what I'm mean by blue and tan, right?  ;))

If you're referring to Jack and Ennis and the clothes they wear and what I find attractive, then yes, I do.  If not, then no, I don't.  ;)

Check this one out - for Christmas from one of our neighbors, my husband the devout atheist got A HOLY BIBLE.  We can't even regift it because they had his name engraved on the front of it.  Can you believe that crap?  Conversely to you, I live in a very conservative neighborhood within a very liberal town.  I knew I was in trouble when I learned after the first week here that three out of five of my immediate neighbors attend the same church.

Funny thing - they gave me some shower gel.  I said they must have thought I was a lost cause and Ed said it's apparently to "wash the sin off of" me.   :laugh:

(If they knew the half of it, they wouldn't even speak to me.)
No more beans!