Author Topic: Questions, hope not stoopid.....  (Read 15881 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Questions, hope not stoopid.....
« on: January 18, 2007, 10:32:58 pm »
Just a couple of questons....What did the guy say at the end??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding,  reallly,

As a technical 'newbie' I feel obligated to watch at least parts while its still on HBO and I just noticed a couple of things that I have not really seen written about at all.

The first stunned me when I saw it, Jack's father has two different colored eyes. 

Pleas forgive me if that was thoroughly discussed at some point, I have not seen anything written about on in all my reading the past month.
The left eye (left looking at him)  is real light blue and other is much, much darker.  I cannot believe I didn't see it in watching over 20 times already.

I am wondering if it is really his eyes or another mysterious Ang Lee touch?

The other thing I saw was while  I had seen that you all had a big discussion on, is the bag on Ennis's bed in the trailer.  But Junior didn't come in with it and it seemed to be gone after she left and E. was alone it the trailor.

Was this another mistake, or maybe it wasn't visible at the end, did it mean Ennis had moved on maybe somehow?

Oh yeah I will throw this in here to because I hadn't read anything on it either. To me one of the saddest bookend or mirror is everytime I see it I notice that after E puts the 17 on the mailbox he stands back to look at it to make sure its okay  exactly  like he was looking at the tent that wasn't right that he put up for J.  To me that is still incredibly sad even after watching over and over and over.

Just some questions and thoughts, don't mean to bore you oldtimers though.... ???

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Questions, hope not stoopid.....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 11:02:35 pm »
Holy Retinas Batman, where is the DVD? I had not noticed John C.'s eyes, or seen them mentioned. Good call. Not sure what to make of it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:14:37 pm »
Yeah, I believe that is just a light/shadow thing, but cropped like that he is one scary dude.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 11:16:27 pm »
Cropped or uncropped, he's scary...
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:26:07 pm »
Yeah,

It could be that I made my tv a brighter when I watched tonight,  (so I could better see poor Ennis's eyes during TS2)  and old man Twist's eyes just popped out at me.  It could be a lighting thing, or maybe it was just because the tv was brighter tonight, but it sure looked like they were differnent colors and yes real scary, poor Jack.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 11:26:24 pm »
To me one of the saddest bookend or mirror is everytime I see it I notice that after E puts the 17 on the mailbox he stands back to look at it to make sure its okay  exactly  like he was looking at the tent that wasn't right that he put up for J.  To me that is still incredibly sad even after watching over and over and over.

Never thought about that before. You're right on both counts. Similar action. Incredibly sad. No postcard from Jack will ever arrive in that mailbox.
But at the same time, Ennis must be expecting some mail. Hopefully more than just the few bills he might be getting. But what?
Not meaning to be flippant, but it seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a Hamley's saddle catalog.
Is he looking to avoid going into town for his mail at the post office?
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 11:46:53 pm »
I wonder to. I mean he if he just is putting the numbers up so he wouldn't have to go to town so why would he take such care to make the numbers look right? I would think if that was it and he didn't want to go to town then he would be really depressed but he didn't look that way when he was putting up the numbers.

I also look at the numbers as the address of the trailer, because I don't think there was any on the trailer itself, to me it was almost as if he wanted to put the numbers up so that he could be found, otherwise who would know which was his trailer?

Thats also why it is so sad, that Jack wouldn't be coming to his trailer.

Maybe there could be someone else?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 11:54:44 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 12:31:25 am »
I looked again,

I am 99.999 % sure now that his eyes are different colors.  It is much clearer if the tv picture brightness is turned up to lighten the shadow on the side of his face, but even with the picture is normal I can see it now .  His right eye (our left) is pale, pale blue and the other is much darker.

That is why he looked so creepy and scary all along.

In fact with the tv brighter it almost looks as if he has a glass eye.

No wonder the whole scene is so surreal..

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 02:24:29 am »
Well, I don't know whether they're two different colors. But I have always noticed the way the light glints through his right eye, almost like it's transparent, just as he begins his little speech. "Ennis Del Mar, Jack used to say. I'm gonna bring him up here one of these days, and we'll lick this damn ranch into shape ..." The glinting eye (which reminds me a little of Edgar Allen Poe's story "The Telltale Heart"), combined with his kind of loony unfocused look ... He looks scary, all right. But also, I'll have to say that -- combined with the humble quiet way he's sitting at the table in the beginning of the scene -- he looks sad. Is it saccrilege to admit that, despite all, I feel a teeny bit sorry for the guy?

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 03:32:56 am »
You know, I always feel like Ennis is pretty cheerful putting the numbers on the mailbox, and that he feels satisfaction when he stands back and looks at his handiwork.

Cropped or uncropped, he's scary...

Well, the story tells us he's not cropped.  :-\

But while he was hosin me down I seen he had some extra material that I was missin. I seen they'd cut me different like you'd crop a ear or scorch a brand. No way to get it right with him after  that."   

Is it saccrilege to admit that, despite all, I feel a teeny bit sorry for the guy?

Nah, that's the thing - who isn't to be pitied in this movie?  Also, I feel like taking this opportunity to state something we've discussed before - that Mr. Twist, sitting there with Ennis, doesn't say anything homophobic.  THAT is an interesting twist to the whole kit and caboodle.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 03:39:15 am by Ellemeno »