Author Topic: Timeline discovery  (Read 11664 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Timeline discovery
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 05:30:16 pm »
I'll give you this much, Katherine,

I always love it when someone starts out this way!  :laugh:

As for when he finds that dead sheep, deep meanings aside, I think he looks--and feels--guilty, not because he had sex with Jack the night before, but because he wasn't where he was supposed to be that night--with the sheep, doing his job, not in the main camp, regardless of what he and Jack were up to--and look what happened.

I do agree with this!  :) I should clarify that when I talked about the sheep meaning sinning/danger, I was talking in a symbolic sense. For Ennis, consciously, I think it just meant that he'd failed in his duty. But I do think he looks more chagrined than ashamed, so I don't think he's connecting it with the previous night's specific activities.

Scott6373

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 05:34:14 pm »
I think that we can get caught up in time lines too much.  AP purposefully didn't frame out a chronological base, because it wasn't time that was the limiting or determining factor in the story, not was it for the film makers.  The laconic and pedantic pace of the story would have been ruined had more attention been placed on time lines.  I do have to agree with Jeff, however, that Ennis could not have internalized that kind of event over night to the point where he could be accepting of sex with Jack.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 07:34:12 pm »
I read the book again last night, and tried to get some idea about how Ennis was feeling after TS1........It seems in the book, that as soon as soon as Ennis went into the tent that night, after his "hammering", that they "cuddled up"....It was big enough,warm enough, and in a little while they deepened their intimacy considerably.Ennis ran full throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending, and he wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand and brought it to his erect cock.  Ennis jerked his hand away as though he'd touched fire, got to his knees, unbuckled his belt, shoved his pants down, hauled Jack onto all fours and, with the help of the clear slick and a little spit, entered him, nothing he'd done before but no instrunciton manual needed......`

Can someone explain what Annie means with the "full throttle" statement, and how it reflects on "wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand........"

Ennis in TS1 in the book, is far different to Ennis in TS1 in the movie, and the sex that went on after TS1, in the book, seemed to be just raw rough sex, no real intimacy or even emotional.

Later on in the book, when they were at the Siesta motel, and Ennis was talking to Jack and he says You know, I was sittin up here all that time tryin to figuree out if I was------?...which indicates to me, that it wasnt the sex that really bothered Ennis, but whether he was actually gay or not.....I think that was what troubled Ennis all his life, just who he really was, and what it really was that he had with Jack, if he loved Jack he could be gay, but he still liked doin it with women, so he couldn't be, seems like he just didnt know who or what he was and that is why he couldnt commit fully to either Alma or Jack.

I'm glad they put TS2 in the movie, not only is the scene a beautiful explanation of two people finding true intimate love for the first time, but it also reflects how the film viewers of 2006 would anticipate how their intimacy evolved, if the film had been made back in 1963, then the way it was depicted in the book, probably would have been sufficient......thats my take on it anyway.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

moremojo

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 08:02:36 pm »
Can someone explain what Annie means with the "full throttle" statement, and how it reflects on "wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand........"
This is my take on it, Sue: Ennis was not a reflective sort of person, and, upon making a decision (ranging from mending fence to having sex), went unequivocally for the task at hand, right then and there. Ennis knew that the situation was turning sexual, at least by the point in time when Jack drew his hand to his erection, and gave in to his impulsive lust, but (and this is where his wanting "none of it" comes in) was determined to take charge of the situation. Ennis does not see himself as queer, so he rejects the overtly homoerotic quality that seizing Jack's member would have offered, and steers the encounter into one in which he penetrates Jack, and thus retains his 'male' or 'masculine' prerogative. (Now, I'm not saying that being on top is more male or masculine, but this is how someone like Ennis would have seen things).

I love the film's second tent scene, but one thing that makes the story so powerful is in how it gradually reveals the depth of Ennis and Jack's mutual feeling in increments. These two rationalize that it's just circumstantial sex, but they are actually falling in love. They and the reader do not fully realize this until the bitter end.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 08:09:42 pm »

While I essentially agree with Scott, my take is, I think, a little more direct, if a little more coarse. I take it to mean that Ennis wasn't going to piddle around with any coy mutual masturbation. If Jack wanted sex with Ennis, well, Ennis was gonna give him quick, hard, furious, no-holds-barred sex.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 09:54:40 pm »
Thanks guys......I get what both of you are saying, and that "full throttle" statement makes much more sense now.....

Same thing probably applies to what I was saying about Ennis trying to work out if he was gay or not....he couldn't go "full throttle" into either relationship, Jack or Alma, then later Cassie.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection