Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178120 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1060 on: April 13, 2007, 05:57:13 pm »
I got one I'll write on these prompts when I get back home.

Mark

I'd love to read that, Mark - you write such great food descriptions - Weber grill is also tailor made for you. 

Is this a rerun? Or did I read it elsewhere in your story? - Anyway, I enjoyed it the second time as much as the first time. Love our boys lighthearted and especially this:
Ennis now enjoying the verbal sparing - I can *so* picture him here. Similar to the "run 'em sheep off again, if you don't quiet down" scene.

If only, if only...
Damn. You write such a beautiful lighthearted drabble and I got a lump in my throat again. After all those months. Brokeback got me still good. 

I believe it's from "Shirts, Suits and Silver . .," Chapter 3.  Looking forward to Chapter 4.  I know just what you mean - if only, if only.  

My dabble for today!  :)

A Mysterious Friend..

She caressed the soft fur and the black cat purred happily in her lap.  She’d first spotted him a month ago, chasing after butterflies and little mice in the fields.  She’d wondered where he came from, and why he kept hanging around their little farmhouse.  One night, she left a little bowl of milk by the front porch; its contents were gone by dawn.  Every day after that, she filled the little bowl with milk or little bits of food and hoped for another visit.

Then two days before, she’d been to the little cemetery – just like she did around this time each month.  She removed the little weeds around her boy’s grave and planted a few flowers.  She called his name and said a little prayer, and then she recited the bedtime story he loved to hear when he was a little boy.  She’d sat there in silence until darkness slowly descended upon the prairie.  She’d gotten up to leave when she'd seen him – curled up in a black ball behind the cream-colored tombstone.  She wondered how long he’d been there, or if he’d followed her to the cemetery and why he’d chosen this gravestone.  He’d followed her home that night.

She rocked softly in the creaking rocking chair on the front porch and smoothed her thumb over the black and white fur on top of his head.  It was a quiet, warm evening and she welcomed the cool breeze upon her skin.  She’d began thinking of what to name him when he got up from her lap and jumped onto floor beside her feet, then down the old steps and onto the grass; tiny paws carrying him quickly, further away from the little house.  She was not superstitious but she began to wonder about her little black, furry friend.  She decided not to name him, he was free to come and go; one day he’d disappear just as mysteriously as he’d appeared.  She went indoors when he vanished into the overgrown bushes..

That night, a steady stream of moonlight gleamed upon the black, shiny coat as he curled up against that gravestone.  He slept soundly beneath the few words carved in stone, “In Loving Memory of Jack Twist”.

You got me good with this one, Milli.  What a touching homage to Momma Twist.  (And how did you get a picture of my cat?  That's her - exactly.  :)  )

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1061 on: April 13, 2007, 06:38:41 pm »
You got me good with this one, Milli.  What a touching homage to Momma Twist.  (And how did you get a picture of my cat?  That's her - exactly.  :)  )

Thanks,
Marie

Cheers Marie!
I was not the one sneaking around your backyard trying to take a picture of your cat, I promise!  ;D

Enjoy the friday night folks!

~M

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1062 on: April 14, 2007, 01:19:02 am »
(A very late drabble....)

Just One More

(June 1981)
Cassie looked down the road.  Nothing, but a black cat walking lazily across.  She started the car again.  But she didn’t move, she just kept sitting there in the car.

She left one more note.  She had decided to try just one more.  It probably wasn’t going to be any use.  It has been way over a month since she heard from him.  But she decided to try just once more.

She decided last night, when she was lying alone in her bed.  The new guy, Carl, kept bugging her, he kept asking her to go out with him.  She kept saying no.  She didn’t want to go out with anyone, except with Ennis right now.

She remembered the last time they were together.  They were playing cards.  He was actually laughing, at least a little.  They were playing go fish.  Cassie had picked up the children’s deck of cards that Jenny had left.  It had smiley faces all over the cards.  She almost had all the cards that she needed.  Then she asked for the Jack of Hearts.  That was the only one left that she didn’t have.  All of a sudden his face changed.  The little sweet smile was gone.  The sad, far away look came back.

They played for a little while longer, but all the fun had gone.  He said he was tired.  Anyway, he had said, he was going away in a day or so.  But that was all he said.  He never talked to her about those trips.

Cassie sat there in her car, remembering that night from over a month ago.  Suddenly she saw his truck.  She watched as he pulled in.  She watched as he went to his door.  He never looked at her direction at all.  She watched as he took her note.  He took it off the door, crumpled it up, and then walked over to the side of the trailer and threw it in the beat up garbage can.  Then he went inside.

Cassie sat there in the car a little while longer.  Then she drove away, passing the black cat that was still walking slowly across the road.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 01:29:38 am by Cameron »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1063 on: April 14, 2007, 04:09:06 am »
(A very late drabble....)

Just One More

Cassie sat there in her car, remembering that night from over a month ago.  Suddenly she saw his truck.  She watched as he pulled in.  She watched as he went to his door.  He never looked at her direction at all.  She watched as he took her note.  He took it off the door, crumpled it up, and then walked over to the side of the trailer and threw it in the beat up garbage can.  Then he went inside.

Okay that must've hurt her feelings ..  :-\
Great drabble Marl!  ;)

~M

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1064 on: April 14, 2007, 09:07:49 am »
Hi all,

For today's prompts, I am taking a very different approach. The following were the movies that won the Academy Award for Best Picture in years that were significant milestones in Jack and Ennis's life. Let's see if they call forth any interesting drabbles.

• 1963 - Tom Jones
  • 1967 - In The Heat Of The Night
  • 1975 - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  • 1983 - Terms of Endearment

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1065 on: April 14, 2007, 09:59:34 am »
Okay that must've hurt her feelings ..  :-\
Great drabble Marl!  ;)

~M

Yeah, probably a little, poor Cassie. :(

M, Thank You :)

Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1066 on: April 15, 2007, 12:45:38 pm »
It's dang quiet over here ..  here's a little dabble..
(I went over again, but pls humor me .. 8) )

Moving pictures

May 1964

Saturday was finally here.  Alma had been looking forward to it for an entire week.  She had succeeded in talking Ennis into taking her to a movie tonight.  Her sister had told her that Baillie’s Drive-in theatre in town would be showing Tom Jones again, this weekend only.  Apparently it had won some big award this past April and the lead character, Albert Kinney or Finney (she couldn’t remember) was very dashing with quite the lovely smile, or so her sister had informed her.

Ennis slammed the truck door shut and passed the bag of popcorn to Alma.  A few minutes before the movie began, an old Chevy station wagon drew to a stop beside Ennis’s truck.  A teenaged boy ran out of the car towards the concessions stand, the other looked around cautiously before taking a sip from a bottle dressed in a brown paper bag.  The movie finally started…

Ennis wondered why his eyes kept drifting back to the two young men in the car.  Alma said something about the Tom character being good-looking, “But not nearly as handsome as you,” she whispered into his ear.  Soon, her head was resting on his shoulder as he held her in a close embrace, her hand rubbing soothing circles on her swollen belly.  Ennis glanced over again at the old Chevy; the boy in the driver’s seat leaned in and grabbed a handful of popcorn from the bag sitting on his friend’s lap.  The other boy swatted the intruding hand and spilled some of the popcorn.  They both laughed.  There was something genuine in their easy camaraderie; something he recognized and craved.  Something in the way they looked at each other when they passed the bottle back and forth or when they laughed.

Later that night, when Alma settled in nicely in bed, falling asleep soon after, he retreated to the tiny bathroom and closed the door securely.  He splashed water on his face and held onto the cold sink.  A wet hand disappeared down the front of his shorts.  He’d wanted to do this ever since they’d left that drive-in.  He closed his eyes – those two young men had awoken the sleeping giant that lay deep within; he’d been trying to put it all behind him, but now the craving had returned.  His secret stash of moving pictures took over his mind as his own hand slid up and down in his shorts.

When he bit down on his lip and shuddered as he erupted, the laughing blue eyes stared back at him, smug and content.  The giant was once again, wide awake …

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 07:48:08 pm by Lucise »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1067 on: April 15, 2007, 12:59:03 pm »
.  .  . .  He never looked at her direction at all.  She watched as he took her note.  He took it off the door, crumpled it up, and then walked over to the side of the trailer and threw it in the beat up garbage can.  Then he went inside.

Cassie sat there in the car a little while longer.  Then she drove away, passing the black cat that was still walking slowly across the road.     

Ouch.   Yep, that sure must have hurt.  Nicely done again, Marl.  And it reminds me, how's Cassie's story coming? 

It's dang quiet over here ..  here's a little dabble..
 .  . .
 He closed his eyes – those two young men had awoken the sleeping giant that lay deep within; he’d been trying to put it all behind him, but now the craving had returned.  His secret stash of moving pictures took over his mind as his own hand slid up and down in his shorts.

When he bit down on his lip and shuddered as he erupted, the laughing blue eyes stared back at him, smug and content.  The giant was once again, wide awake …   

"Sleeping giant . . . secret stash"  Perfect, poignant descriptions, Milli.   

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1068 on: April 15, 2007, 07:05:16 pm »
M, Great, great drabble! :)

Marie, Thanks so much as always.

I guess Cassie took a little vacation with the Artist around,
Hopefully she'll be back soon. ;)
Thanks again

Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1069 on: April 15, 2007, 09:43:50 pm »
Cheers for the comments, M & M!  ;)