Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1198932 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1120 on: April 20, 2007, 01:17:02 pm »
July 4, 1988

"You got the fried chicken and the potato salad?"

"Yep Grandma....it's all here."

"Did you get the plates 'n silverware?"

"You mean the paper plates and plastic forks?"

"Oh Bobby....You know what I mean?"

"Yes Ma'am....it all here."
"We's all ready ta go?" Ennis said carrying three folding chairs.

The trio are standing by Bobby's pickup ready to leave to the Ranchester Community Church annual Fourth of July picnic and fireworks show. Mrs. twist is especially excited to be attending this year when her two young men.

"Sure we didn't forget anything?"

"We're sure Grandma..."

"Time ta get a move on."

After the long washboard dirt road Bobby finally plus out onto the ribbon to two lane country road. "Sure seem ticked 'bout this picnic Grandma...you ever been before?"

"Every year since I was a little girl....they have a real nice gathering....people bring all kinds of food, have raffles, games...the tallest boy from the fourth grade class dresses up as President Lincoln and does his speech" The image of this sends both Ennis and Bobby into hysterics, "...and then the fireworks!...You never seen anything so spectacular!...We'll have a grand ol' time boys."

Nearly midnight when they drove up to the ranch leaving shortly after the fireworks. Ennis. Bobby and Mrs. Twist enjoyed sampling the wide range of culinary delights offered, Ennis's favorite was stuffed mushrooms. Bobby's was something called  potstickers a Chinese family had brought. Ennis and Bobby had won the adult class of the three legged race, Ennis had won Mr's Twist a stuffed bear in the shooting gallery, Mrs. Twist apple pie won a ribbon for first place, Ennis and Bobby won 2nd and 3rd in a log splitting contest.

In the very early hours of the morning long before dawn Ennis awoke to Bobby's voice interrupting his even breaths of sleep . "I know it is Pop...don't worry I'll ask him...we will...."

Later Bobby would hear Ennis. "I know Jack....it's comin' ta....we'll go.....don't ya worry......zzzzzzzzzzzzz......be soon......zzzzzzzzz........zzzzzzzzzzzzzz." Neither would remember the others voice when they awoke in the morning  but would remember their dreams.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 05:20:29 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Ennis and Bobby
« Reply #1121 on: April 20, 2007, 03:23:19 pm »
Mornin', jp.

Just to let you know how much I'm enjoying this series of "drabbles".  Each one leaves me wanting to read another, to see what happens next. 

Glad to see a story where Ennis and Bobby get a chance to know each other for more than a short meeting, a chance to bond, and Ennis gets the opportunity to fulfill part of Jack's dream by helping out on the Ranch in Lightning Flat.  Will he stay on after Bobby leaves to head back to Texas for school? Will Bobby come back during school breaks, next summer? 

From the sounds of it, they're headed up to Brokeback Mountain before Bobby leaves.  Looking forward to those days which will have some deep meaning for them.  Also sounds like Jack is visiting both of them in their dreams, maybe about the same thing.  Time will tell, and hopefully heal. 

Thanks again. 

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1122 on: April 20, 2007, 03:32:18 pm »

Just to let you know how much I'm enjoying this series of "drabbles".  Each one leaves me wanting to read another, to see what happens next. 

I agree. I'm enjoying these stories immensely.

Thanks Mark.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #1123 on: April 20, 2007, 03:43:15 pm »
Thanks belbbmfan and cwby30. I had just meant to have Bobby thank  Ennis in the first one but I guess it took off. Stay tuned or the  rest of the story.

Mark
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1124 on: April 20, 2007, 06:16:20 pm »

Mark you have a wonderful sense of Ennis and his growth, after Jack is gone.
You have him still bonded with Jack, but moved on in a way that allows you and he both to know, and show how much Jack meant to all those who loved him.
He is trying to do what he thinks is the right thing, and give himself a sense of purpose as well.  I really enjoy your stories my friend...         janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1125 on: April 20, 2007, 07:57:38 pm »
(Sometimes I just don't know. But oh well, here goes....)

The Pictures

(August 1985)
Ennis asked again “how much ya want for this old picture?” 

The boy looked over and said “for a friend of Tom’s, it’s yours.”
“Are ya sure?”
“Of course” the boy said with another big smile.  “Hey, do you want some lunch?”

“We better be on our way, but come for a walk with me” Tom said to the boy. Then he looked over to Ennis “I think you’ll be okay.” 

He nodded and they went outside.  Ennis was left alone in the store with all the old things.  He put the picture in the frame in his jacket’s pocket.  Tom laughed at him for wearing a jacket on such a warm day.  He walked over to the bookcase filled with all the old books.  He picked up a red one. “Four Score and Seven Years Ago” the title said, “Great American Speeches.”  It was a long time since he held a book in his hands.  Cassie always tried to get him to read, but he used to pretend not to hear her.  He did that a lot to her.  Ennis put that book back and pulled out another one.  But something fell out from between the books.  He bent down to pick it up.

It was a snapshot, in faded color.  Ennis walked towards the door to see it in better light.  There were two young men.  One was surely Tom, a much younger Tom, and the other looked just like the boy.  They both were smiling but looked serious too.  Ennis put it back between the books.  As open as Tom was there was so much he didn’t know about him.

Ennis sat down in one of the old chairs.  He took the picture in the frame out of his pocket.  He sat there and stared at it.  It seemed like he was sitting there for a very long time.  “So predictable”  Toms voice rang out. “He’s always falling asleep.”  Then he said to the boy “just remember what I said.”

Ennis felt Tom’s arms around him.  Right in front of the boy.  “It’s time to go.”  Ennis got up and said a soft “thank you.”  They got back into the truck and drove away.

It was now dusk.  The sun was setting, the sky was soft and grey.  Ennis touched the old picture.  He felt his eyes filling.  He reached over and put his hand on Tom’s knee.  Tom gave his hand a gentle squeeze.  Ennis looked out the window, at the trees passing by them.  He wanted it to help, but again these past few days, nothing seemed to help at all.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 01:35:11 am by Cameron »

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1126 on: April 21, 2007, 01:28:19 am »
Cam, Marl, (not sure which you prefer),
I really enjoy the mysteries you're so good at creating in your stories.
What is the picture? Who's the boy? What are he and Tom really talking about?
I like the wondering you inspire...
Thanks. :)
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1127 on: April 21, 2007, 09:25:17 am »
Fern,

Thank you so much, I so appreciate it. :)

Marl

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1128 on: April 21, 2007, 09:33:56 am »
Hello everyone,

For today:

• transistor radio
  • barley
  • chicken pox

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #1129 on: April 21, 2007, 12:45:48 pm »
July 1988

Ennis and bobby are tying down the load of feed, building supplies and weekly staples on his old pickup ready to head back to Lightning Flat. Ennis was insistent this trip to drive his truck. 

"Bobby...Why don't ya drive us home?" tossing him the keys.

"Umm...wel.....umm...."

"Go on ...git in...."

"Umm....."

"Whut's 'sa matter?....cat got yer tongue?....first time Ah ever heard of a Twist bein' tongue tied....Go on."

"Can't..."

"Whut.... whut is it son?"

"Don't know how ta drive a stick...never leaned.....sorry Ennis..." Bobby looking down.

"Don't them fancy tractors at Newsomes have clutches?"

"Naw...leasts I think  they work automatic...when ya move the levers."

"'Bout  time ya learn't then....Whut if ya when ta Europe er somethin'...don't think ya can rent a car there with and automatic Huh?...Whut if Ah fainted on the way back? Huh?...whut er ya gonna do then?....It's okay son...go on git in."

"Now most cars 'n trucks these days have the lever on the floor but Ah got it  here the the column. Back and down is low, then up and forward is second and then straight down is high. Here now you try it and practice pushin' in the clutch each time ya move the lever. An when ya need ta back up reverse is back and up. When ya start off on low you let off the clutch real easy like...practice jut real steady....see the clutch is hooked ta the motor, that part is a big round disk always turnin' other part to the transmission....when you push theys separate....let out theys together." Ennis pushes his hands together to illustrate the workings. Bobby made several dry runs going thru the gears.

"Now go ahead put her in neutral, push in the clutch...start her up." Bobby turns the ignition the old Ford 240CID six comes to life. "Go on ...ya c'n pull on in ta the street." Bobby lets out the clutch and with  a couple of lurches the truck stalls. Ennis puts his hand gently on Bobby's shoulder. "Is okay son....happen's ta ever body first time....try 'n relax....no one behind ya." On the third try Bobby manages to get the truck rolling and with a few lurches through the gears.

"Good thing yer gettin' yourself a new pickup this fall...might ruin this one by the time we get back."

"Don't ya worry none....if this ol' truck c'n survive your daddy drivin' it, it live thru anythin'"

"Pop?....he drove this truck?"

"A time or two...think it was the only time he drove a shift since that old black pickup he use ta  have....stalled it all the time...." Ennis smiled back at him, both braking into laughter.  By they time the arrived at Lightning Flat, Ennis having him do countless stop and starts, Bobby was fit to drive anything.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 01:41:40 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »