Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1199543 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1450 on: June 10, 2007, 09:35:03 pm »
Thank you so much for the kind words, Fern!  And speaking of Lureen... I'm missing "Quicksilver" . . . (hint, hint)  :)

Thanks, Janice - and talk about great use of prompts . . .:

Ennis clung to the handle of the old coffee pot.  . . .

I like it just fine.  It makes the best coffee in the world."  Besides I like the color."
Funny how the description of a coffeepot can have such an effect on me.   :(

Ennis shot the coyote, ''with balls on em the size o apples.''  He cut off the tail, and stuck some feathers he had found around the campsite where he pitched the pup last night he was up here.  He placed it on a stick he pounded into the hard ground.  He now had a totem.  Would it succeed in scaring the coyotes away?
Or would it just make the nights up here go slower now, without them dam coyotes to occupy his long nights?

This is so great and so original - we don't hear much about Ennis's time alone . . .

. . .  What they didn't know, and what would not wash away, was that they had been seen. 

Another excellent original - it bothers me that he saw them, not only because of the privacy of their feelings, but because his small mind was not a worthy witness.   >:(

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1451 on: June 11, 2007, 06:56:48 am »
Good morning everyone,

Try these:

• wide, wide river
  • a fond farewell
  • six inches of white silk ribbon

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1452 on: June 11, 2007, 02:12:20 pm »
Forget-Me-Not

It was just six inches of white ribbon, but it caught his eye as he was digging in his pocket for change.  It stood out among the jumble of cheap plastic hair clips and doodads, pinks and purples and reds.  He rubbed it gently between his thumb and forefinger, the silky smoothness reminding him of her hair. 

He laid it on the seat of his truck as he shoved his cigarettes in his pocket, anxious to be on his way.  Would he be there already, setting up camp?  He smiled at the thought and pressed hard on the accelerator, turning sharply onto the road. 

The six inches of white silk ribbon never made it out of the parking lot of the general store, flying out of the window of the speeding truck and landing gently in a bed of forget-me-nots. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~
140 words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1453 on: June 11, 2007, 10:09:07 pm »
So what's a Drabble and how do you play the game?

Susie

Three prompts are posted, usually every day (although we have been sporadic lately). A drabble is 100 to 300 words, written in response to one or more of the prompts. The drabble should be BBM related (although the Creative Writer's Corner, some folks have posted non-BBM drabbles, in response to the prompts).

The drabblefest has been going on since January 31, 2007 and there has been some really great writing...

Send me a PM if you have more specific questions. Have fun!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1454 on: June 12, 2007, 02:46:52 am »

The six inches of white silk ribbon never made it out of the parking lot of the general store, flying out of the window of the speeding truck and landing gently in a bed of forget-me-nots. 

I love that drabble Marie..It was so dear...                                                                  janice

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1455 on: June 12, 2007, 02:58:49 am »

Jack and Ennis always leave each other with sad hearts.  They never can say the fond farewell
most friends  have when parting.  Their hearts are always raw and hurting.  They try not to look on each others face, they talk in hushed tones.  They look at the river, they watch the clouds roll by.  No thrill of
last minute talk.  Its only sorrow, and longing. They talk about the place they are headed.  Jack to Lightning
flat.  Ennis on to work tomorrow.  But they never say what is in their heart.  It lies on the air like the heat radiating from asphalt.  Unreal, but seen, ripples of pain as a rock thrown to a lake.  It marrys their life
to their constant longing.  They never say love, they never say hate.  They just wait.  Then see ya round.

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1456 on: June 12, 2007, 07:13:09 am »
Hey Susie, welcome to the drabblefest!

Looks like you understand what drabbling is all about. Thanks for your contribution!

Leslie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1457 on: June 12, 2007, 07:14:53 am »
Hey everyone,

Let's try these for today:

• hung over
  • pistachio nuts
  • "Don't stop...believing..." by Journey

Have fun,

L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1458 on: June 12, 2007, 12:12:51 pm »
. .  . .
The expression in her sad eyes spoke volumes to him, full of love and acceptance.  She understood that his heart belonged elsewhere, that there was a wide wide river between what he had and what he truly wanted.   . . . 

Welcome to the drabblefest, Susie!  I loved your drabble - way to go with using all the prompts!- and I always enjoy seeing the bond between Junior and Ennis.  More, please!   :)

. . . . .  It lies on the air like the heat radiating from asphalt.   . . .

You nailed that, Janice! Love this line in particular - great imagery.

We're closing in on page 100 . . .

Thanks,
Marie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1459 on: June 12, 2007, 12:59:29 pm »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
June 2007

Jack took a handful of pistachio nuts and passed the bowl to Ennis, who absent-mindedly shelled them and popped them into his mouth. He looked down at the bowl and then smiled at Jack. “Remember when pistachios used ta be red?”

“Sure do. That was the only way ya could buy em.”

“What happened to em? They’re all just plain now.”

Jack shrugged. “Who knows? Mebbe they decided the red dye would give ya cancer or somethin’. Or mebbe people were allergic.”

“So much worryin’ ‘bout fuckin’ food. Didn’t used to be like that in the old days. Just ate what was given to ya.”

Jack chuckled. “Remember those red hot dogs up in Maine? The one’s Jenny called ‘cancer causin’ franks’?”

Ennis looked puzzled for a minute, then recognition broke across his face. “Oh yeah, those were the weirdest fuckin’ hot dogs I ever did see. Tasted regular but they were as red as…as red as…” Ennis paused, trying to think of something that was equally as red.

“As red as pistachios used ta be?” Jack prompted.

Ennis chuckled. “Yeah, mebbe that’s it. Whatever happened ta red food, anyway?”

“Are we talkin’ in circles, En?”

“I think we are. Ya want some more nuts?”

“You know the kind a nuts I like,” said Jack with a wink.

(225 words)

L