Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1199102 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1590 on: June 28, 2007, 08:41:43 am »
What a nice focus.  I've always loved Annie's choice of the word sophomore.  To poor Ennis it sounds sophisitcated because it's a big, important sounding word and he doesn't realize that it's true meaning is closer to inexperienced, or immature, and that's so poignant.

Thanks, Clyde.  Yes, that's exactly how I've always felt about her use of that word!  :) Annie doesn't waste one single word in the short story - which serves to emphasize the meaning of the words she does choose - brilliant writing.   

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1591 on: June 28, 2007, 08:52:11 am »
Hi all,

The discussion about sophomore gave me an inspiration for some prompts today:

• alma mater
  • cap and gown
  • diploma

Have fun!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1592 on: June 28, 2007, 10:31:56 am »
     “Hurry, we’re gone a be late”
     “Jack this thing looks silly.”  Ennis fiddled with his mortar board.  “What goes in front?”
     “Here, like this.”  Jack tilted it a jaunty angle.  “Junior’s gone a be so proud of her daddy in his cap and gown - what Alma thinks don’t mater.”
     “Very funny.   Jack Twist the comedian.  Feel’s like I’m wearin a dress.”
     “You look very impressive.”
      Ennis slumped.  “Jack, I’ve wanted this diploma all my life, what if ...”

The relentless Wyoming wind slammed into the side of the trailer.  Ennis startled, sat up, rubbed his eyes.  Time to start another day.

100 words     

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1593 on: June 28, 2007, 11:14:06 am »
Hey Clyde, glad to see another drabbler has joined us  :). And even axactly 100 words twice in a row. Impressive. I think I managed only one time to write an exact drabble.

A belated welcome to our long running drabble fest also to Merrily and Gary. Marie is right: the commenters contribute as well as the writers to this thread.

Sophomore

It wasn't a surprise when the old truck died a half hour into the hour-long ride.  The windshield wipers only worked on the passenger side, and his head ached from squinting through the rain.  He wouldn't allow himself a backward glance as he began the long walk home, collar pulled up against the heavy drops, boots crunching on the wet gravel.  He had already become inured to the disappointments in life during his 14 years.  No matter how much he wanted it, Ennis Del Mar would never be a sophomore and that was that.  

~~~~~~~~~
94 words

Great drabble Marie.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1594 on: June 28, 2007, 12:34:53 pm »
Thanks, Chrissi   :-*  and Welcome, Gary:)

“Hurry, we’re gone a be late”
     “Jack this thing looks silly.”  Ennis fiddled with his mortar board.  “What goes in front?”
     “Here, like this.”  Jack tilted it a jaunty angle.  “Junior’s gone a be so proud of her daddy in his cap and gown - what Alma thinks don’t mater.”
     “Very funny.   Jack Twist the comedian.  Feel’s like I’m wearin a dress.”
     “You look very impressive.”
      Ennis slumped.  “Jack, I’ve wanted this diploma all my life, what if ...”

The relentless Wyoming wind slammed into the side of the trailer.  Ennis startled, sat up, rubbed his eyes.  Time to start another day.

100 words     

Wow, Clyde, you had me going - just like Gary I wanted it to be true (Ennis did become a sophomore! ) - but reality came crashing down, which always seemed to be the case with Ennis's life.   :(  And, yeah, I'm also amazed at your ability to hit that "100" word mark!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1595 on: June 28, 2007, 12:38:10 pm »
High School Graduate

Lightning Flat, Wyoming
February 7, 1958

It was dark in the closet and he tilted the picture slightly, trying to capture some of the sunlight streaming into the bedroom.  He didn't recognize the other two girls, but the one in the middle with the wide grin, clutching the rolled diploma and wearing her cap at a jaunty angle was definitely his mama.  He stared in wonder at the picture, focusing in on all the small details, before putting it back in the box and grabbing the 'church' shoes she had asked him to fetch.  He spared a glance back at the closet as he hurried out of the room and down the stairs, shaking his head slightly in amazement at the truths that could be uncovered in a small closet.   

~~~~~~~~~
130 words

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1596 on: June 28, 2007, 12:39:37 pm »
Trying something new here

"drabbling live"

I have no idea what to write yet

Have another look at the prompts

alma mater
cap and gown
diploma

alma mater - alma matters - loved this wordplay

does alma matter?

she's the mother of ennis's daughters and it ain't her fault

poor thing. but i always have annie's words in my ear/mind: "in her misery voice" - god, she would drive me nuts. too sweet too innocent too obeying in the beginning, and too bitter and too accusing later on

still no idea about the prompts (and i'm sure i'm already over 100 words, lol)

diploma - that one calls out to me

diploma, diploma, diploma

high-school diploma. do you call the graduation title of high school a diploma? i think so.

in my language, diploma means a far more educated graduation than a high-school gradutaion is. different education system.

diploma. Junior.

ok i'll write about junior's high school graduation

no. Francine. Junior married too soon. francine could be one to have high goals and dreams. she's a live wire. bet she had troubles with her boring mother when she started dating. even more than junior had.

oh yes. i can picture francine being pretty much into boys  ;D  going out too often, having fun with her girl clique, teasing the boys. not sticking to one BF too hard. being more adventurous. ok. I have an idea

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1597 on: June 28, 2007, 12:40:21 pm »
What an irony - Alma thought when her younger daughter told her she's pregnant. Last spring was Junior's wedding. I'd be so happy if she were pregnant. But no, Francine, her ne'er-do-well offspring let herself getting knocked up.

Now she stood there, at her graduation ceremony, in her cap and gown, her high-school diploma just a few hours old but already dispensable.

"Ennis, we gotta talk."

~64 words~

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1598 on: June 28, 2007, 12:57:09 pm »
Ha ha stream of consciousness drabbling...I love it, Chrissi!

Great drabbles, everyone....thanks for sharing.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1599 on: June 28, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »
So great to come home and see all these wonderful drabbles!!!!!

They are great, Clyde, Marie and Chrissie!!!!!!

Merrily, I just wanted to repeat what Marie said, yoiu are contributing a whole lot already!!!!!!
 ;D

Marl