Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1184438 times)

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1610 on: June 29, 2007, 09:14:21 am »

When I see those girls with their diplomas.  Wearing those cap and gowns.  I will be the proudest daddy you ever saw.  All the years I worked on those ole ranches.  All those years I was
missin Jack so bad.  I'll never get em back.  I'll never have no alma mater, no diploma, but my little girls.  They will.   I made sure.  They got that education. 
          I seen to it. Made ever one of them child support payments.  Little extry ever now and then too.  When I had it.  But I sure wish Jack coulda seen em... I sure do miss ya Jack.  Yep sure do....

100 wds           

He would have felt just like this too, wouldn't he.

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1611 on: June 29, 2007, 09:18:01 am »
At the Bar

(June 1982)
Ennis sat alone at the bar.  No one else was there.  It was early on a Saturday afternoon.  He slowly drank his beer, and stared straight ahead at the wall. 

“Hey, can’t I get a beer, isn’t there any service around here?”

Ennis jumped at the noise and looked up to find a man sitting right next to him.

“Hey, ya want another one?” the man said.

Ennis shook his head.  The bartender came over, and the man got his beer.

“Today’s my son’s high school graduation” the man said.  “Right now he’s wearing his cap and gown and getting his diploma.”

Ennis looked at him.  “He didn’t want me to go, can ya believe that? the man asked.

Ennis looked at his beer again.

“He doesn’t want to see me anymore” the man continued, “just cause I told him that he’s a …”   But the man didn’t say what he told his son.

Ennis put his dollar on the table and started to get up.  “Hey, where ya goin’?   Don’t go, stay here and drink with me” the man implored.

“Come on, just stay, you got some better place to go?”

Ennis stopped.   He stood there, frozen for a moment.  Then he sat back down.  “Two more beers” the man yelled.  The bartender brought the beers right away.

‘I tell ya,” the man went on, “just can’t stand being all alone, can’t stand it no more.”   

Ennis finished the first beer and pushed the glass aside. “The worse thing there is” the man continued, “nothing worse at all.”

Ennis turned to him, and stared for a moment.  Then he closed his eyes and tightly clenched his hands.   He looked at the man again, and then at the wall.  Then Ennis started drinking the second beer.

Makes you want to know what happened next. 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1612 on: June 29, 2007, 09:44:55 am »
Hello everyone,

For today

• geranium
  • hash brown potatoes
  • nose

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1613 on: June 29, 2007, 11:05:46 am »
He almost broke his nose. It came suddenly and unexpected. He crushed him into the wall; it hurt and for a brief moment he wondered what might have caused this burst. But before he had time to gasp for breath, he was all over him. He couldn't do anything against it.
When it was over, his nose wasn't broken after all, the bruises were not worse than usual. Yet for the first time, Jack got a glimpse of how it feels to hate someone. One day, one day he would be taller and stronger than his father.

~97 words~

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1614 on: June 29, 2007, 11:12:34 am »
Leslie, Marl, Janice, Marie, Merrily and Clyde: thank you all for your kind words. Clyde, your comment is at least as smooth as my drabble  :).

Merrily: Janice is right. Just grab your courage and do it.

I toyed with the pronouns he and him today. And with your background knowledge and expectations  ;D. Hope you liked it.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1615 on: June 29, 2007, 12:31:54 pm »
“He doesn’t want to see me anymore” the man continued, “just cause I told him that he’s a …”    . . . .

Oh, my ....   Your Ennis is spot on, as usual, Marl. 

And, yeah, I agree, Chrissi and Clyde - the Twists, individually and as a couple, have their own stories somewhere.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1616 on: June 29, 2007, 12:37:33 pm »
. . . . Yet for the first time, Jack got a glimpse of how it feels to hate someone.  . . . .

So powerful.  Felt that one right in my guts.   >:(

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1617 on: June 29, 2007, 12:40:01 pm »
The Thing

His heart pounded as he pulled his hat lower, closed his eyes briefly, and took a deep breath to gather himself.  Damn.  Just from spotting a pot of geraniums the same bright red as Jack's truck. 

~~~~~~~
36 words

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #1618 on: June 29, 2007, 01:03:06 pm »
Just thought I would let everyone know that I put the Bobby Ennis story together in Fanfic.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3606301/1/

Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1619 on: June 29, 2007, 01:06:28 pm »
     Ennis wrinkled his nose as he staggered sleepy into the kitchen.  “What’s goin on out here?  What’s that I’m smellin?”
     Standing in front of the stove clad only in his Resistol, leather jacket, and boots Jack Twist grinned.  “Good mornin sunshine, how about some bacon, eggs, and hash brown potatoes.  You hungry?”
    Ennis smiled slyly.  “A naked cowboy in my kitchen.  What the hell kind of a get up do you call that?”
    “Got no bathrobe, so’s it’s just somethin I threw on to show off the flower of my manhood.”
   “Yeah, well I’m thinkin seriously about plucking your geranium.” 

100 words