Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1204142 times)

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1630 on: June 29, 2007, 08:19:49 pm »
Ennis slowly got out of the truck.  Tom placed his hand on his shoulder, but Ennis quickly moved away.  They climbed the three steps and Junior kissed both of them on the cheek as they got to the door.  Then they all went inside.

You captured the Ennis that has changed, yet hasn't.  Ennis must be lost in thought about Jack, and how he couldn't and didn't do this before with him.  Tom has so much patience; his feeling must run very deep.

Thanks for your continuing story. It has developed so well. 

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1631 on: June 29, 2007, 08:44:57 pm »
Heard this song on the radio today, one of my favorite oldies, and the story flowed from it. Still working on the "drabble" length; 223 words or so, if you ignore the lyrics. 

Childress, Texas, June 1989

He dropped down onto the hard cement bench, the high hedge in the garden sheltering him from the noise and the crowd. He stretched his long legs before him on the grass, and pinched the bridge of his nose.  The new in-laws knew how to put on a good reception, though he wished the two love-birds had waited until finishing grad school next year.  The band started playing another song, an oldie, one he remembered his mama playing years ago.

Sometimes I wonder why I spend
The lonely night dreaming of a song
The melody haunts my reverie
And I am once again with you
When our love was new
And each kiss an inspiration
But that was long ago
Now my consolation
Is in the stardust of a song

Beside a garden wall
When stars are bright
You are in my arms
The nightingale tells his fairy tale
A paradise where roses bloom
Though I dream in vain
In my heart it will remain
My stardust melody
The memory of love's refrain

And he remembered his daddy throwing the old 78 on the floor, smashing it to bits, saying he was tired of hearing that song over and over again, and his mama leaning down and picking up each sliver of the record and putting them all into a paper bag, closing it carefully, and saying to nobody in particular, that it was the song Glenn Miller played that first time daddy had danced with her at the county fair all them years ago, and he had bought that record for her a few days later, and now neither of them could hear the music any more. 

As he stared down at the geraniums next to the bench, he felt his someone standing next to him. Looking up, his blue eyes meeting amber eyes, his cowboy asked, "Can I have this dance?"  Their first one.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1632 on: June 29, 2007, 09:17:37 pm »
Thank you so much, Cowboy and Janice!  I am so glad you are enjoying my story. I really appreciate your kind words. :)

Marie and Cowboy, what beautiful sad drabbles today, loved them. :)

Clyde and Christine, really enjoyed yours too, as I always do. :)

Marl

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1633 on: June 29, 2007, 09:30:41 pm »

That is one of my two favorite all time songs ...It is just so very special.  I never fail to fall back to my young life everytime i hear those words or the music.  Its spectacular no doubt..Thank you for bringing it back to mind.                                                                  janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1634 on: June 30, 2007, 08:18:51 am »
Loved this!  What a visual.   lol   Can't stop grinnin'.      ;D

C*

Glad you liked it haunted by bbm, thanks!

I should have put a disclaimer on this one - If you're going to try this at home, don't fry the bacon!   :laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh:  Clyde, I love the way your mind works, bud.  (And 100 words again!)

Marie

Marie, I've only done 4 drabbles and 3 of them have involved getting Jack naked,  I'm sensing a pattern here!   ;D

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1635 on: June 30, 2007, 08:40:27 am »
awesome writing, Clyde! "plucking your geranium" ;D ;D ;D

You DRABBLERS are some terrific guys!  This board is really fun!

Dagi

Thanks Dagi,

"plucking your geranium" is my Walmart knockoff of Annie's  Nieman Marcus / Harrods / KaDeWe "stemming the rose!"   :laugh:

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1636 on: June 30, 2007, 08:45:18 am »

Jack wound a stray piece of yarn from the bedspread tighter and tighter around his finger as he warmed to that beautiful notion.

Ennis had missed him.

Ennis definitely spoke more eloquently with his actions.  *sigh*

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1637 on: June 30, 2007, 08:48:01 am »

Ennis slowly got out of the truck.  Tom placed his hand on his shoulder, but Ennis quickly moved away.  They climbed the three steps and Junior kissed both of them on the cheek as they got to the door.  Then they all went inside.

This definitely makes you want to know more about what's going on.

Dagi

« Reply #1638 on: June 30, 2007, 09:00:24 am »
Thanks Dagi,

"plucking your geranium" is my Walmart knockoff of Annie's  Nieman Marcus / Harrods / KaDeWe "stemming the rose!"   :laugh:

Why donĀ“t you write  a sequel to the "geranium plucking" for your buddys of JackwithEnnis?  ;D Please!

Dagi 

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1639 on: June 30, 2007, 09:04:00 am »
Heard this song on the radio today, one of my favorite oldies, and the story flowed from it. Still working on the "drabble" length; 223 words or so, if you ignore the lyrics. 

As he stared down at the geraniums next to the bench, he felt his someone standing next to him. Looking up, his blue eyes meeting amber eyes, his cowboy asked, "Can I have this dance?"  Their first one.

Beautiful

I was on a driving trip to North and South Carolina earlier this year and some little FM station played Willy Nelson's 'Someone to watch over me'  from his old Stardust album.  My first thought was of Ennis and Jack. 
    I wonder if they ever did have a dance, with the radio in the truck playing, way out there in the middle of nowhere.  I hope so.