Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183637 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1640 on: June 30, 2007, 11:24:04 am »
I love seeing this place hoppin'!    :D

Marie, you have brought back a memory of my mother's closet.  It was small and always crowded and I wanted to look through her things when I was a little girl, but was afraid of getting caught.  She had an almost "inviting" way of being very private about her "things" and it begged for discovery of something exciting.  But, I was too scared.  When she was on her death bed and coming in and out of consciousness, she woke up suddenly and said "Be sure to check the drawers in the closet."  My sister was on one side of the bed and I was on the other. We just looked at each other with a knowing look and as soon as we could, went to the closet to see what she was talking about.  She had this little lingerie stand that had several drawers.  Ahaa...that looked like what she was talking about.  So, we pulled it out of the closet and scoped it out.  Disappointment, there was nothing of interest in there.  We were hoping for old love letters or something of value.  She just must have been dreaming. 

Merrily

Merrily, thanks so much for sharing this.  I think so many of us can relate to that - wondering what our parents' lives were like back when they were "people," and not just "parents"  - which is how we tend to look at them when we're very young.

. . . .Ennis had missed him. ________________________________________________________________

(100 Words)   (Lifted from  "MMM" - Part 1)    ;)   :-* 

Ahhh . . . I definitely need to find some time and start a re-read of "Missing Motel Moments."  Can't get enough of lines like that.   :)

. . . Tom reached over and placed his hand on Ennis’ arm.  “Hey, let’s go, it’ll be fine.” . . . .

. . . They climbed the three steps and Junior kissed both of them on the cheek as they got to the door.  Then they all went inside. 

That was "just right," Marl.  It will be fine, Ennis - one small step at a time. 

Heard this song on the radio today, one of my favorite oldies, and the story flowed from it.  . . . .

. . .As he stared down at the geraniums next to the bench, he felt his someone standing next to him. Looking up, his blue eyes meeting amber eyes, his cowboy asked, "Can I have this dance?"  Their first one.

Oh, what I wouldn't give to have seen that moment (well, in my mind I guess I have now! :))  I find there are so many songs that can stir up thoughts of our boys in my mind - and that one is especially apt and beautiful, cwby.

Thanks, all!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1641 on: June 30, 2007, 11:34:15 am »
These prompts came to mind because they kind of describe my life right now  :P   LOL!

• three-ring circus
  • unexpected guests
  • "go with the flow"

Gotta dash - have fun!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Circle JE Ranch
« Reply #1642 on: June 30, 2007, 04:57:20 pm »
Afternoon.

Cameron, Janice, Merrily, Clyde-B, Marie...thanks for the kind words and thanks for the memories you've given, too.   :)

While reading the fanfics, have often thought about OMT, and what made him bitter and do those things to his only son and only child at such a young age.  And though about why OMT and Mrs. OMT got married. So, decided that maybe at one point she fell in love with him, whether he did with her as much I don't know. Anyway, they did "court" a little bit, and an easy date was to go to the County Fair.  Then they heard the music, and she looked at him, and he asked her to dance.  Also, wanted to contrast the relationships [in my AU mind] between what OMT and Mrs. OMT after ten or fifteen years of marriage and for ever after, as against what Jack and Ennis had after spending their life apart/together, and what that first dance meant to Jack and Ennis. 

Also, felt like this was the appropriate moment.  You know how weddings and wedding receptions can affect one! 

Speaking of which...and I'm getting better at it...140 or so words this time, not counting the lyrics...

Childress, Texas, June 1989 [Part 2]

Holding each other easily, arms around each other's waist, cheek to cheek, they swayed gently to the musical breeze that caressed them.  He wondered how those words had ever passed his lips, but now wished he had asked years before. Knew it wouldn't take so long to ask again.

He vaguely realized when one song ended and another began, though they themselves didn't miss a beat.

I stand at your gate and the song that I sing is of moonlight.
I stand and I wait for the touch of your hand in the June night.
The roses are sighing a Moonlight Serenade.

The stars are aglow and tonight how their light sets me dreaming.
My love, do you know that your eyes are like stars brightly beaming?
I bring you and sing you a Moonlight Serenade.

Let us stray till break of day
in love's valley of dreams.
Just you and I, a summer sky,
a heavenly breeze kissing the trees.

So don't let me wait, come to me tenderly in the June night.
I stand at your gate and I sing you a song in the moonlight,
a love song, my darling, a Moonlight Serenade.

Nothing better than holding your man in your arms in a moonlit garden, swaying to a love song played by an unseen orchestra. Was having such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of that moon.

"Ahem, Dad, Pop?, Sorry to interrupt."

With a brief look into each other's eyes making promises of things to come, but without letting go of each other, they reluctantly turned towards the unexpected guests who had entered their private ballroom.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1643 on: June 30, 2007, 09:12:28 pm »
At the Bar (Part 2)

(June 1982)
Ennis sat there drinking the beer.  The man kept right on talking, stopping only once and a while to drink.  “Maybe I won’t even go home today, it’s gonna be a three ring circus.  The wife’s gonna have all the family over, there'll be a million unexpected guests, it’ll be crazy.  Why should I be there?  Why should I go at all”

Ennis looked at him, then looked back at his beer.  The man kept right on talking.  “They didn’t want me at the graduation, but they sure will want me home.  Who else is the damn old lady goin’ to get to do all the work.  I’m gonna stay right here, I ain’t goin’ to go home at all.”  The man stopped for a moment, drank some beer and looked at Ennis.  “You gotta wife?”

Ennis shook his head.  “Not now” he said real quietly. 

“Your better off” the man said.  He stared hard at Ennis.  “Then whadya doin’ here, drinkin’ by yourself so early in the day?”

Ennis closed his eyes.  The questions repeated in his mind.  “What am I don’t here.”  He looked at the man, then finished the beer and stood up.

“I gotta go.”

“Ya sure?” the man asked, as he stared at Ennis.  “You should….”   But suddenly the man stopped, and a look of concern appeared on his face.  “Guess ya gotta go with the flow” he said softly.  “Hey, what’s your name?”

“Ennis Del Mar.”

“Ennis Del Mar” the man repeated.  “My name is Bill, Bill Jensen.”  He then held out his hand.  Ennis hesitated, then took it, and was startled by Bill’s tight grip.  He looked at his face and for the first time noticed his piercing eyes.  “Let’s do it again sometime”  Bill said.

Ennis stared at him, then turned and slowly walked out of the bar.  He got into his truck and put in the key.  But then he slumped back in the seat and closed his eyes.  ‘Saturday’ he thought ‘ almost four weeks.”  The images flashed through his mind.  Ennis covered his face with his hands and sat there.  He sat there, like that, for a long time.  He didn’t know where he should go.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1644 on: June 30, 2007, 10:38:37 pm »

. . . . . they reluctantly turned towards the unexpected guests who had entered their private ballroom.

What a beautiful closing phrase.  And I loved your nod to the short story with the reference to pawing the white out of the moon - one of my favorite sentences ever. 

. . .  The images flashed through his mind.  Ennis covered his face with his hands and sat there.  He sat there, like that, for a long time.  He didn’t know where he should go. . . .

Oh, Marl, what a sad scene, but so believable and so well-written.

Thanks,
Marie

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1645 on: July 01, 2007, 02:35:47 am »
         A brightly painted wagon, refugee from a three-ring circus, now safely on the shores of Widow’s creek.  Emblazoned across the side: ‘Percilla the Monkey Girl’
        “Thank you, we wouldn't have made  it without  you two.”  A sweet voice from a diminutive figure in a flowered sundress, unremarkable but for the fine brown fur covering every inch of exposed skin.  “Please, join us in town for dinner.”
        Ennis toed the dirt
        “C’mon Ennis, go with the flow.”
         Percilla took Ennis's hand.  “Afraid of being stared at, Honey?”  Her eyes sparkled.  “Can’t let a little thing like that keep you from living.”

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1646 on: July 01, 2007, 08:00:06 am »
. . .  “Can’t let a little thing like that keep you from living.” 

Awesome writing, as usual, Clyde.  Makes me want to gather Ennis up in a comforting hug.  A wise woman, that Percilla. 

Marie

Offline Clyde-B

Re: Circle JE Ranch
« Reply #1647 on: July 01, 2007, 09:05:19 am »

While reading the fanfics, have often thought about OMT, and what made him bitter and do those things to his only son and only child at such a young age.  And though about why OMT and Mrs. OMT got married. So, decided that maybe at one point she fell in love with him, whether he did with her as much I don't know. Anyway, they did "court" a little bit, and an easy date was to go to the County Fair.  Then they heard the music, and she looked at him, and he asked her to dance.  Also, wanted to contrast the relationships [in my AU mind] between what OMT and Mrs. OMT after ten or fifteen years of marriage and for ever after, as against what Jack and Ennis had after spending their life apart/together, and what that first dance meant to Jack and Ennis. 

I've wondered about OMT too!  How did he become such a mean spiteful old martinet?  And why did such a sweet lady marry him?  Sometimes I think, just maybe, OMT had once been a dreamer like Jack, and Jack's unfulfilled dreams dredged up painful memories of his own.

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1648 on: July 01, 2007, 11:11:14 am »
At the Bar (Part 2)

Ennis stared at him, then turned and slowly walked out of the bar.  He got into his truck and put in the key.  But then he slumped back in the seat and closed his eyes.  ‘Saturday’ he thought ‘ almost four weeks.”  The images flashed through his mind.  Ennis covered his face with his hands and sat there.  He sat there, like that, for a long time.  He didn’t know where he should go.

So what does he do next?  I'm interested!

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1649 on: July 01, 2007, 11:15:22 am »
That was great Clyde.  Kind of reminds me of the tattooed girl on the dance floor.  Ennis was so concerned that people could "see" something.  Fear.  Poor Ennis.

Thank you Merr.  It almost was the tatooed lady!

You should give drabbles a try, that little vignette you wrote the other day sure shows you could.