Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1184498 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1660 on: July 03, 2007, 01:52:07 am »

Just to clarify, I chose 1982 as a compromise, because the screenplay says that the last meeting was in 1981 which seems to early to me.  So I say the last meeting was in 1982 which makes more sense to me, so this is happening a little while after that.

Marlll

Oh. 

:(

Thank you for clarifying.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1661 on: July 03, 2007, 09:12:54 am »
Penthesilea,
Thanks for your comments.  I wish yesterday's news article could have been true.   :'(

Merr and Mariez,

Thank you.  Glad I could give you a chuckle.   ;D

Made me laugh when I thought of it.

Marl.

Beginnin to wonder who this Bill Jensen fella is and whether he's friend or ...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1662 on: July 03, 2007, 09:33:56 am »
(This was supposed to be short, but it kept growing.....)

. . . .
Then he felt a sharp pain in his hand.  He looked at it, there were splinters all over.  He stared back at the fire, remembering.  The flames were bright against the blackness of the night.  The pain was sharper, but Ennis stood there, staring into the fire.

Poor Ennis is almost always in some kind of pain . .. :(  Bill Jensen makes me uncomfortable, too....  Glad to see you're going with the flow and continuing this little story, Marl.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1663 on: July 03, 2007, 09:38:26 am »
Hey there, drabblefesters!  How do these sound?

• traffic jam
  • daydream
  • french fries

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1664 on: July 03, 2007, 11:34:02 am »
      Miles of backed up traffic, Ennis hated cities.  Next car over a guy gobbled french fries.  On the radio Willy Nelson sang “Someone to watch over me ...” 
       That brought back memories.
       Their very first dance ...

A cool clear night ... truck radio playing...
      “C’mon Ennis, dance with me.”
      “Jack, you know I don’t ...”
      “Yeah, I know...” Jack had slumped down, Ennis saw the tear.
       “C’mere, Rodeo.”  He’d grabbed Jack’s hand, wrapped his arms round Jack’s waist.
        They’d circled in mutual embrace, sharing a kiss, while the fire burned to embers and the stars shown bright.

A horn blared.  “Move it, asshole!”

100 words

Sound familiar? I only steal from the best!   ;D
Also, the Rodeo nickname is stolen from littlewing.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1665 on: July 03, 2007, 12:57:08 pm »
Hello drabble lovers.  :)

I got a dabble today.

Under My Skin ...

It was one of those sweltering hot summer days.  Jack could feel large drops of sweat trickling down his back and chest.  There was so much to be done around here – he needed to finish mending this dang fence within the next two days.  Ennis was out back, mucking out the stables.  This life was hard work, but he’d expected no less.  They had a good thing going here. 

“Break for lunch?” Ennis called from the side of the little farm house.

Jack turned around and smiled as Ennis walked up to him.  Even covered in dirt and sweat and bits of horse manure, Ennis still managed to ignite a spark, a hunger deep inside.  His body was tanned from all the sun exposure and the golden strands of his curly hair clung to his head from his perspiration.  Yet, Jack thought he never looked more handsome. 

“I’m ready for lunch,” Jack smiled teasingly.  He grabbed Ennis by the waist of his jeans, pulled him closer and planted a warm, wet kiss on his lover’s parted lips.

“You smell like horse shit,” he said, smiling brightly.

“Fuck you,” Ennis joked, whacking him playfully on the rump.  “Jack, we gotta stop this before we git too carried away.”  He ruffled Jack’s sweaty hair and smiled, his eyes delivering a promise Jack could not miss.  He turned around and walked away.

“We got sandwiches … and beer!” he called out as he disappeared around the corner of the house.  He doesn’t have to do much to git me goin’, Jack thought to himself as he abandoned the broken fence and ran after Ennis…

~*~*~

“Hey Jack!  Git back in here!  The water’s mighty fine!”  Ennis yelled from the river, shattering Jack’s daydream.

Four years after Brokeback and I've still got him under my skin, still all I can dream about … Who knows, maybe that dream of a lil’ ranch will someday come to pass ..    “I’m coming in!”  Jack called out, a bounce in his step and a hope in his heart.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:23:42 pm by Lucise »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1666 on: July 03, 2007, 05:54:33 pm »
      Miles of backed up traffic, Ennis hated cities.  Next car over a guy gobbled french fries.  On the radio Willy Nelson sang “Someone to watch over me ...” 
       That brought back memories.
       Their very first dance ... . . . . .    

Oh, I love that, Clyde - any mention of J&E dancing turns me all gooey.   :)  (100 words exactly - again!!!!)

~*~*~

“Hey Jack!  Git back in here!  The water’s mighty fine!”  Ennis yelled from the river, shattering Jack’s daydream.

Four years after Brokeback and I've still got him under my skin, still all I can dream about … Who knows, maybe that dream of a lil’ ranch will someday come to pass ..    “I’m coming in!”  Jack called out, a bounce in his step and a hope in his heart.

Aww, M - you really had me going there.  Sniff.  And then this - "..a bounce in his step and a hope in his heart" is just a killer.  :'(   Wonderful writing, as always, M - it's great to see you!

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1667 on: July 03, 2007, 06:07:35 pm »
Except for One

The same story car after car. Except for one.  Drivers cursing in frustration, honking their horns, craning their necks. Except for one. All in a hurry to get away from where they'd been and anxious to get where they were going.  Except for one.  One driver was content to sit, reluctant to put distance between himself and where he'd been, in no hurry to get home.  In fact, he hoped the traffic jam lasted for hours.  The longer it lasted, the more time he had to spend with his one true love – even if it was only in a daydream.

~~~~~~~~~~~
100 words (!!!!)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1668 on: July 03, 2007, 06:20:17 pm »

Marie ~
 .. So great to be around here again. ;)
I loved your drabble - short, to the point .. so bittersweet! :)

A horn blared.  “Move it, asshole!”

Bloody driver ruined a perfectly sweet dream!  >:(
Great drabble, Clyde! =)

Cheers,
~M

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1669 on: July 03, 2007, 07:55:34 pm »

Flashes of Light

(June 1982)
Ennis stood there staring at the fire.  The noise was swirling all around him.  It felt like a dream, or like a half asleep daydream.  The splinters were stinging in his hand.  He closed his eyes and felt the heat of the fire, he saw the images flashing with the glow of the flames.

Ennis felt something in his hands.  He opened his eyes, a plate with thick brown French fries and a hot dog in a bun were in his hands.  “You better eat up, cowboy”  he heard a voice say.  He looked around, a woman was standing next to him.  He couldn’t tell if she was old or young, she had dark hair streaked with some grey and warm smiling eyes.  “Better eat up, cowboy” she said again, and then she turned around and disappeared behind the dancing fire amidst the scampering children.

Ennis stepped back and leaned against a tree and ate, not sure of what else to do.  A figure was approaching him, he stared at the plate of half eaten food.  “I made up my mind” a voice said.

Ennis looked up, Bill Jensen was standing next to him again.  “Ever lived in a city?” Ennis shook his head.  “I did, for awhile, feel just like I’m in a big traffic jam.”

Ennis just stared at him, Bill kept right on talking.  “Ya know the feeling, you wanna move, you wanna go ahead, but you just keep going nowhere.  Just goin’ nowhere, man” he said.

Ennis saw a flash of light before his eyes.  “I made up my mind” Bill said, and then he turned, and headed back towards the fire.

Ennis leaned back against the tree.  The flames of the bonfire were dancing, the light was shimmering before him, the voices were swirling all around him.