Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1203165 times)

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1730 on: July 07, 2007, 12:20:59 pm »
     The Saturday flea market crowded with shoppers eagerly hunting bargains. 
     “Nice creel case.”
     “What’s this inside?”
     It was a packet of postcards, some pictured, some plain.  The top one, picture of a mountain, had never been mailed.  The rest were ordered by date, to someone named Ennis from somebody named Jack.  Said things like: “Comin through on the 25th.  Buy you a beer.”  or  “Fish should be bitin cant hardly wait”  The last one, only one sent by the Ennis fellow, was returned stamped in red - DECEASED.     
     “Pretty blue ribbon around them.”
     “Yeah, like my mother’s love letters.”
      They laughed.

100 words

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1731 on: July 07, 2007, 12:28:23 pm »

Clyde you are a deep one arent you?

Beautiful mind

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1732 on: July 07, 2007, 01:04:07 pm »
  You certainly don't expect me to give away any secrets now?

Counterquestion: You certainly don't expect me to sit on this cliff for two weeks?  ;) I'm going on vacation on Monday I don't know whether I will have internet access.

No, of course we don't want you to spoil any secrets (*I'm a liar, don't listen to me*  :laugh:), but there's still this day for drabbling, and tomorrow..... maybe the cat (or whatever it is) will be out of the sack by then. A girl can hope, can't she?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1733 on: July 07, 2007, 01:06:51 pm »
                                        Another Germ

Those two ladies he had seen from the
back of the bar were there too.            

Janice: Curious to what that might or might not lead.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #1734 on: July 07, 2007, 01:10:33 pm »
     “Nice creel case.”
     “What’s this inside?”
     It was a packet of postcards, some pictured, some plain.  The top one, picture of a mountain, had never been mailed.  The rest were ordered by date, to someone named Ennis from somebody named Jack.  Said things like: “Comin through on the 25th.  Buy you a beer.”  or  “Fish should be bitin cant hardly wait”  The last one, only one sent by the Ennis fellow, was returned stamped in red - DECEASED.     
      They laughed.

100 words

This hurts.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1735 on: July 07, 2007, 01:36:27 pm »
Clyde, have you read 'The Artist'?  (http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,9388.0.html)
It tells what really happens to the postcards.

Of course, your version is fine too, but so sad. :(

;D

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1736 on: July 07, 2007, 01:40:52 pm »
Counterquestion: You certainly don't expect me to sit on this cliff for two weeks?  ;) I'm going on vacation on Monday I don't know whether I will have internet access.

No, of course we don't want you to spoil any secrets (*I'm a liar, don't listen to me*  :laugh:), but there's still this day for drabbling, and tomorrow..... maybe the cat (or whatever it is) will be out of the sack by then. A girl can hope, can't she?

We'll see Chrissi, we'll see. :)

BTW, I hope you have a wonderful vacation.  :D

And yes, there still is today, and tomorrow. Maybe........ ;)
 ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1737 on: July 07, 2007, 01:55:21 pm »
.......Those two ladies he had seen from the back of the bar were there too.  They were in the back looking at some walking boots on the wall, and passed near enough for him to overhear some of the conversation they were having.
         " Annie, you know you need new boots for this hike.  This will give you some time to break them in before we go up there. ....."            

More Annie!!!! and more germs please, Janice!!! Cleverer and cleverer.   :)

“Nice creel case.”
     “What’s this inside?”
      They laughed.
100 words

Gasp. OMG, Clyde.   :'(  You know, it's amazing how some silly little random prompts can inspire something that touches so deeply. 

Have a great vacation, Chrissi!

Marie
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 03:16:30 pm by mariez »
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1738 on: July 07, 2007, 02:44:30 pm »
                                        Another Germ

It was Saturday morning, and Ennis had woken up with the pillows damp.  He knew what
this day would be.  After having his breakfast of warmed over coffee and cheerios.  With the
last of the milk he had in his fridge.  He placed the bowl, and spoon in the sink with the rest of the detritus remaining there.  Before heading to town for those shoes.
         He scavanged thru the bargain rack at the general store.  Mayhaps they would have a
pair of boots he could use there.  Finding a pair, he thought might be his size, but no box to
betray for sure, with his nearsightedness no help to decipher the secret.  He went to the
chair in the back of the room to sit and try them on.  Those two ladies he had seen from the
back of the bar were there too.  They were in the back looking at some walking boots on the
wall, and passed near enough for him to overhear some of the conversation they were having.
         " Annie, you know you need new boots for this hike.  This will give you some time to
break them in before we go up there."  "I guess so.  You are probably right.  These are a good
fit, and they sure are the right price."  "Thats for sure.'  "Its for sure better than buying them
from that flea market we saw last week."  "Yeah I guess so, but those didn't need breaking in."
She remarked with the quirk of a smile.

I'm getting a kick out of these Alfred Hitchcock appearances of Annie P. in Ennis's life.   ;D

Thank you (If that was a compliment! )  'Sentimental old fool' applies too.

If it wasn't a compliment, I guess the answer is "Yep, up to my boot-tops."   ;D

This hurts.

Made me sad too, Chrissi.

But I thought it would make the point more vivid.

Have a great vacation, we're gonna miss reading your stuff.

Clyde, have you read 'The Artist'?  (http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,9388.0.html)
It tells what really happens to the postcards.

Marl, are we gonna wind up as two liars arguing about who's telling the truth?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm sure I'll love your version too.

Gasp. OMG, Clyde.   :'(  You know, it's amazing how some silly little random prompts can inspire something that touches so deeply. 

You're very kind Marie, thank you.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1739 on: July 07, 2007, 03:42:49 pm »

Quote from: ifyoucantfixit on Today at 12:28:23 PM

Thank you (If that was a compliment! )  'Sentimental old fool' applies too.

If it wasn't a compliment, I guess the answer is "Yep, up to my boot-tops."   

Very much  a compliment..".you bet"

Beautiful mind