Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183547 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1740 on: July 07, 2007, 04:44:36 pm »

Marl, are we gonna wind up as two liars arguing about who's telling the truth?   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:

Tell you what, Clyde, both versions could have happened.  Actually yours really touched me, I love going to flea markets, but I also find them so very sad, to see people's once prized and loved possessions selling anonymously for a dollar or two.

I really was thought it was a wonderful drabble. :)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1741 on: July 07, 2007, 05:20:20 pm »
(I'll try tomorrow, I promise, but a lot of pressure now, wouldn't want to disappoint all of you. ;)  Anyway, here's today's drabble...)

The Flea Market

(July 2000)
Cassie stared at the blue glass vase.  It was shimmering and sparkling in the summer sun.  But then she put it down.  “Not a bargain for fifteen dollars” she said to herself.  She was about to pick up a plate, painted with flowers in all colors, but suddenly she felt a sharp jolt.  She turned around.

A woman was standing right next to her, with long auburn hair with a few strands of grey.  “Oh, sorry” the woman said.

Cassie stared at her.  Suddenly a long ago day flashed in her mind.  “I remember you” Cassie said.  “Your…..your…..oh my lord, your Alma, right?  Ennis Del Mar’s daughter.”

Alma Jr. stared right back at her.  “Do I know you?” she asked, as the people walked around them in the crowded flea market, in the parking lot of the church.

“Yeah, Cassie….. Cassie Cartwright.  Don’t you remember?”

Suddenly a light came into Alma Jr.’s worn, sad eyes.  “Yes, I do. That sure was a long time ago.”

“Yes it was” Cassie said.  “Imagine meeting you here, so far away…. what a surprise!  How are you?”

“Good” Alma Jr. said, with the shadow moving back over her face.

“Your….. Daddy?”  Cassie asked hesitantly.

“Um…uh… good.”  Alma Jr. replied, then she looked all around at the crowd.  “Listen, nice to see you, I gotta go” she said, not looking at Cassie’s eyes.

“Yeah, nice to see you” Cassie said.  She watched as Alma Jr. was joined by a couple of teenagers, and then they disappeared into the crowd.

Cassie turned back to the table and picked up the plate.  Then she put it down, and walked on to the next table, as dark clouds passed over the sun.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 05:33:46 pm by Cameron »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1742 on: July 07, 2007, 08:15:17 pm »
(July 2000)
 . . . .
“Your….. Daddy?”  Cassie asked hesitantly.

“Um…uh… good.”  Alma Jr. replied, then she looked all around at the crowd.  “Listen, nice to see you, I gotta go” she said, not looking at Cassie’s eyes.

“Yeah, nice to see you” Cassie said.  She watched as Alma Jr. was joined by a couple of teenagers, and then they disappeared into the crowd. . . .

Marl!!!!  Now you've got us hanging off another cliff!!! :laugh:  How many does that make now?  If I've got my time frame right, when Ennis and Tom are going to dinner at Junior's it's 1985.  So.... does that have anything to do with this drabble that takes place in 2000?  You are so good at these little mysteries . . . 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1743 on: July 07, 2007, 10:55:54 pm »
Thanks so much, Gary and Marie. :)  Actually I thought this one was real straightforward.
But since I guess it wasn't, as the Artist once said "With time, you will know." ;)

Probably ;D

Marl

Okay, maybe.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1744 on: July 08, 2007, 08:44:23 am »
Good morning all,

• picnic table
  • sunflower
  • priorities

Have fun,

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1745 on: July 08, 2007, 09:17:15 am »
:laugh:

Tell you what, Clyde, both versions could have happened.  Actually yours really touched me, I love going to flea markets, but I also find them so very sad, to see people's once prized and loved possessions selling anonymously for a dollar or two.

I really was thought it was a wonderful drabble. :)

I always get nervous around the booths with old photographs, afraid one day I'll see myself staring back at me.

Thank you, I'm studying yours to learn how to do suspense.

P.S. I read 'The Artist' and really enjoyed it!  Thanks for the link.

[

“Yeah, nice to see you” Cassie said.  She watched as Alma Jr. was joined by a couple of teenagers, and then they disappeared into the crowd.

Cassie turned back to the table and picked up the plate.  Then she put it down, and walked on to the next table, as dark clouds passed over the sun.

I still want to know whether or not you know ahead of time where you're going, or whether you enjoy the thrill of painting yourself into a corner just to see if you can get out!   ;D

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1746 on: July 08, 2007, 09:22:27 am »
Ah Clyde, you had me feeling all tingly with those flea market shoppers finding the case with the postcards inside.  But that laugh at the end, that just cut me to the bone. 

Very effective writing, buddy.  Sad but beautiful.

Gary

Hi Gary, nice to see you here.   ;D

Thank you, I always enjoy reading your stuff.

C'mon jump in give it a try!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1747 on: July 08, 2007, 10:10:30 am »
The Long Day

(June 1982)
Ennis sat there at the kitchen table for a long, long time.  He tried to stop them, but the sobs just kept coming.  Finally, he was able to breathe again, but he sat with his head in his hands till the sun began to slowly trickle in through the windows.

Ennis got up and went to the door and stepped outside.   It was all quiet now, except for the songs of the summer birds.  The sun was peeking through the trees.  Ennis took a few steps forward.  On the picnic table were the remains of the bonfire, the sunflowers that had just bloomed were nodding nearby.  Ennis looked all around, the birds were calling and singing, but then he stepped back, he could still hear the voices in his head.

Ennis went back inside.  He made some coffee, and then he sat back down at the table.  He tried to drink some coffee, but he couldn’t.  The sun was now streaming through the windows, the warm air was moist and heavy.  Ennis looked all around the trailer, feeling like the walls were getting closer.  But it was Sunday, there were no priorities, there was no place to go.

Then Ennis noticed the gift still lying on the floor where he dropped it.  He sat there looking at it.  Then slowly, he went over to it.  He kneeled down and held it in his hands.  It felt cool, he rubbed it against his moist cheek.

Ennis went to the bed and lay down, with the windows wide open, every so often a gentle breeze would blow in.  He held the gift in his hand.  It was so familiar, though it was from long ago.  Ennis sat up.  “How the hell did he....” he started to say out loud, but then he stopped.  The walls were getting closer and closer and closer.  Ennis lay back down, still holding the gift in his hand.  He kept remembering the last day, the voices still ringing in his head. 

Ennis sat up again and looked at the clock, somehow it was evening. The walls were pushing in against him.  Ennis couldn’t breathe, he had to get out.  There was no air, there was no space.  He quickly got dressed, put on his hat, and then he put the gift in the drawer near his bed.  “How the fuck.…” Ennis said aloud, but again he stopped.  He took one last look at the gift, a belt buckle just like the one Jack had so proudly showed off that day.  The rider was holding on.  Ennis closed the drawer and went outside.  He got into the truck, and drove off.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1748 on: July 08, 2007, 10:42:35 am »
The Long Day
. . . .  He held the gift in his hand.  It was so familiar, though it was from long ago.  Ennis sat up.  “How the hell did he....” he started to say out loud, but then he stopped. 

That's what I want to know!  ???

Marie 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1749 on: July 08, 2007, 10:46:57 am »
Good Sunday Mornin'  :)  Let's try:

• "There's no place like home..."
  • whistle/whistling
  • restless

Marie