Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205330 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1760 on: July 08, 2007, 05:44:48 pm »

I just used one from coliumn A and one from column B.. Like at a Chinese
menu.        ;D

Beautiful mind

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1761 on: July 08, 2007, 05:59:16 pm »

menu.        ;D

Did you get eggroll?  ;D

If she's not careful, Annie P. is gone a have a restraining order against her for stalking Ennis!!   :laugh:

Can't wait to see where you're going with this!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1762 on: July 08, 2007, 06:29:50 pm »

Ya tryin a work us to death here?  Turnin this into some kind a writer's sweat shop?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Writer's sweat shop" -  :laugh: :laugh:  Clyde, I love ya, bud.  You not only write great drabbles - your comments are priceless. 

And I should have know that you would come up with not one, but two, terrific drabbles.  The one with Ennis and his mom is special to me.  I wrote my very first drabble on Mother's Day - and Ennis and his mom were the inspiration. 

"We could a had a sweet life together...   Damn, damn, damn. 

. . . .
He didn't let me down
he made it home after all...

Jack fuckin’ Twist!   

Yay!  It's not a dream this time, but a dream come true!  :D  Thanks, M - need that sometimes.

. . .       He opens the rattley door.  He look quizzically into a face he recognizes, but is startled by its presence. " Maam" he shies.   What can I do for ya?"

Dang, you're writing a story, Janice - and a damn good one! What will Annie say now? 

menu.        ;D 

:laugh: :laugh:  I love Chinese food!

Thanks!
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1763 on: July 08, 2007, 07:33:54 pm »
(One more to use Marie's prompts.  Really didn't mean to go on for so long...)

The Restless Night

(June 1982)
Ennis drove for a while, he didn’t know where to go.  He drove to town and stopped at the bar, and looked in the window.  “Too many people in there” he said aloud.  But he didn’t move.  He sat there, as the sun was going down, the shadows taking over everything.

Ennis started the truck again and drove down the road to the edge of town.  He stopped at the small diner, that he hardly ever went to.  He got out of the truck and slowly went inside.  “Sit anywhere you like” the lady at the counter said, not moving her eyes from the old tv, crackling and blurry at the edge of the counter.

Ennis sat down at a table way in the back.  There were only a couple of other people there.  He looked at the tv.  The lines were going across the small screen, but Ennis stared at it.  Amidst all the noise, Dorothy had just gotten back home and everyone was around her bed.  Ennis closed his eyes.  “There’s no place like home.”

“Hey, whadya want?” the lady asked.  She was next to him, her hair blond and brittle, her hands spotted and yellow.  Ennis looked at the stained menu on the table.  Just then a man walked in, wearing a denim jacket and a big dark hat.  He whistled, the waitress turned.  “Ya gotta wait” she yelled, and turned back to Ennis and winked.

“Just coffee” Ennis whispered.

“Ya sure?”  That’s it?”

“Yeah” Ennis said.  But he looked at the man, and then at the waitress.  He got up and walked out of the diner as fast as he could.

Ennis drove back home, his hands tightly gripping the wheel.  The restlessness never eased.  He finally got there, it was dark, the lights in the other trailers were dim.  Ennis walked to the door.  A piece of paper was stuck near the doorknob.  Ennis took it out and  crumpled it up as he went inside and put in on the pile with the others.

Ennis headed for the table, but he stopped to pick up the brown paper wrapping that was still on the floor.  He suddenly realized there was a note within the wrinkled  paper.  “Since I’m moving on, just wanted to give you this, from a long time ago. Thank You, Bill.”

Ennis held the wrinkled paper in his trembling hand, and sat down at the table.  He sat there for the second straight night, too restless to eat or to sleep.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:19:51 am by Cameron »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1764 on: July 08, 2007, 10:08:20 pm »
. . . Ennis held the wrinkled paper in his trembling hand, and sat down at the table.  He sat there for the second straight night, too restless to eat or to sleep.

Glad to see the "double dose" of inspiration put to such wonderful use - but I'm worried about Ennis  :(   (loved the Wizard of Oz reference, btw!)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1765 on: July 09, 2007, 07:46:14 am »
I am in the mood for funny words this morning...let's try:

• appaloosa
  • Okeefenokee
  • Timbuktu

Have fun!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1766 on: July 09, 2007, 08:03:24 am »
Home

His face broke into a grin and he quickened his pace, almost running now, stumbling a bit on the uneven ground.  They grabbed for each other in a desperate hug, sighing, murmuring, laughing a bit. He held on with all his might, not wanting to let go. He knew in his heart that there was no place in the world he would rather be than in these arms, because there really was no place like home. 

~~~~~~
76 Words

Ain't it the truth that a lover's arms feel like the safest 'place' in the world. 

He didn't let me down
he made it home after all...

Jack fuckin’ Twist![/color][/center]

How great, Lucise.  You could feel the joy all the way through this piece.

Ennis held the wrinkled paper in his trembling hand, and sat down at the table.  He sat there for the second straight night, too restless to eat or to sleep.

Marl,

I think the REAL reason for the double prompts was so we could get more of your story out of you at once!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1767 on: July 09, 2007, 08:19:38 am »

Thank you, Marie and Clyde, your so kind!!!!!! :)

Clyde, Marie, Janice, and M
Great drabbles yesterday, all of them!!!! ;D

Marl

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1768 on: July 09, 2007, 08:25:53 am »
Oh Clyde, how heartbreaking.  We always suspected that Ennis never got the love he deserved.  His poor mom. I had the same situation with my ex.  My son came home from school one day crying his eyes out because kids on the bus had ruined his picture.  It had been posted in the art room because the teacher thought it was a great example of the art form they were using during that segment.  When I told his dad, he was exactly like Ennis' father - boys shouldn't cry.  Among other things, that was the end for me.  I felt like somone had kicked me in the stomach - I knew my son was destined to be an artist and this non-acceptance of who he was might discourage him from reaching his dream.  With his dad out of the house and less of an influence in his life, he was allowed to do the things that led him to his dream.

Thanks Clyde, that really made me feel Mrs. Del Mar's pain. 

Merr

Thanks Merr,

I'm glad your son got his dream.

I think the saddest part is that fathers often have good intentions, but not enough understanding.

People do need to 'toughen up', but how much and when?

And "Boys don't cry" is the over zealous over simplification of "Don't let your enemies see you cry."

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1769 on: July 09, 2007, 12:38:20 pm »
I love funny words - they make me think of silly AU's.  ;D

Jedi Master

"So, what did ya think?"

"Mmmm – s'alright, I guess.  Strange.  Kinda liked that one guy."

"Oh, yeah?  Trying to make me jealous, huh?  Which one – Han Solo?"

"Nah – the old guy – ya know, Okeefenokee or whatever the hell his name was."

"Okeefen---???"   Jack stopped and let out a whoop of laughter.  "You mean Obi Wan Kenobi?" 

Ennis gave him a sidelong glance, trying to suppress his own laughter.  "Shut the hell up – you know what I mean." 

Jack leaned in with a smile and gave him a quick peck on the cheek, his heart suddenly overflowing with tenderness and love.  "I surely do. After 14 years I always know what you mean.  Now let's get home, my lightsaber is heatin' up."

~~~~~~~
122 words