Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205365 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1860 on: July 15, 2007, 08:43:05 pm »

The Silver Platter

(July 2000)
“Come on, we gotta go!”  Alma Jr. said to Janie and Johnny.  “We’re gonna be late, ya don’t wanna be late to the piano recital.”

”Yeah, who cares” Janie said.  Alma Jr. looked at her.  “You should care, I care” she said.  Janie looked back at her and frowned.  Her mother didn’t say anything.

They soon got home, Alma Jr. took the mail out of the mailbox.  There were bills and more bills, and some junk mail about a retirement plan.  She rolled her eyes, and threw the mail on the pile with the rest of the bills as soon as she got inside.

“You better get dressed, fast, we wasted too much time” Alma Jr. called, then she sat down at the table, and closed her eyes.  There never was much time for sleep.  She opened her eyes and got up, and opened up the bag from the flea market.  She took out the silver platter.  She couldn’t believe it was only five dollars.  She had to have it, no matter what.  It was just like the one her momma had, years ago.  Alma Jr. cleaned it with her sleeve till it shined.  It was just like the one that Momma used, on Thanksgiving, for the pumpkin pie, so long ago. 

“Oh lord” Alma Jr. exclaimed, and she put the platter down on the table as she suddenly remembered.  “Of all people” she said out loud.  She looked at the telephone.  It was a long, long time.  The phone was quiet, sitting on the little table near the bills.

“Janie, Johnny, we gotta go!”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1861 on: July 15, 2007, 09:38:28 pm »
      Thanks for the comments guys, Clyde and Marie, I am hoping not to be boring, i've never done a story before.  I am trying to make it as much about the journey, as the destination.                                     Janice

Janice, you couldn't be boring if you tried.  Yes, just as in life, the journey is always the best part.   :)

. . . Over Jack’s shoulder, in the bed of his own truck, a new voice, “Better cancel them retirement plans.”  Jack spun around.  Behind him, the mechanic raised the tire iron.

Clyde!!!!!!!! 

. . . .
“Oh lord” Alma Jr. exclaimed, and she put the platter down on the table as she suddenly remembered.  “Of all people” she said out loud.  She looked at the telephone.  It was a long, long time.  The phone was quiet, sitting on the little table near the bills.

Another mystery.....I have a lot of questions, but I'll patient!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1862 on: July 16, 2007, 12:14:13 pm »
Here's some Monday prompts for y'all  :)

• talisman
  • horseshoe
  • believe/belief

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1863 on: July 16, 2007, 01:11:16 pm »
            Ennis pulled into the trail head just a little passed noon.  His stomach was letting him know it was near time for lunch, so he pulled out his cigarettes, lit one and grabbed for the thermos of coffee.  Poured a cup, and waited a few minutes for the drag to calm his empty stomach.  The coffee made his stomach feel a bit sour after it bein completely empty. He figured he would see if those ladies had brought a lunch before grabbing himself a bite from his bag. He'd brung his lunchsuch as it was .  He walked over to the car they were sitting in, makin no move to get out yet.   Jus takin in the surroundings .  He watched as the lady other than Ms Proulx , the driver.  Rolled her window down awaiting his approach.  He asked them if they had brung a lunch or did he need to unpack the stuff he had brought from the store for their packs to the mountain.  They said "no sir we brought some lunch items, and we can just sit here and eat if its ok.   You must be ravenous by now.  You didn't eat this morning."  "Nah I am hungry, but im used to not eating early."  They watched him as he snuffed out the butt of his cigarette on the way back to the truck.  He stopped to make a check on the horses, making low and encouraging sounds they knew, and were accustomed to hearing, soothing them before returning to have his lunch as well.
      He pulled out the small brown bag containing his lunch of cheese, bologna, and the last of the cornbread, Alma Jr had brought him the morning before, on her way to work.  When he saw the cheese, it made him remember the way Jack had always brung cheese in his bags of foodstuff.  He said "It makes a quick snack, and it gives ya lots of good vitamins.  Don' even have ta be kept cold if the weather ain't too hot."  He always was bringin some new things up to make the meager meals better and more varied.  He knew Ennis was not an adventurous grocery shopper.  Bare bones was how he made his meals.  Jus mostly what he had.  Not to be much worried about the content.  Potatos, bacon, and beans was a good portion of the meals he chose for their outings.  Jack would always complain about those for all the meals.  Saying "Ennis you ain't never gonna venture out of the things ya been eating all yer life.  Same old beans and fried potatoes."  "Well I believe we need to try and be more adventuresome in our life.  Learn more new things all the time, and try new stuff." 
        "Eating is just one way to do that."  Ennis had a smile on his face as he remembered the time Jack had brought that can of oysters, and the can of
snails with him.  It was a joke, but Ennis didn't know it right off.  When Jack opened those cans of odd looking things up, Ennis almost got sick just looking at em.  Jack laughed and said "man ya oughta try some before ya say no.  First time I saw them I told Lureen "she was nuts ifn she thought I was gonna eat that shit."  She said, "Jack how you ever gonna know if you don't at least give them a try."  "I took a bite of those oysters, with some little chopped up onions on top, and layin in their own shell with a bit of red powdery stuff and some hot sauce dripped on em.  Danged if they weren't half bad.  So ventually I got ta like em pretty good."  "Its ok Ennis if ya don't like em.  But don't say I didn't offer ta share with ya.  I get sick a beans all the time."  Ennis had took a sniff, and watched as Jack took one into his mouth, and ate some crackers with it.  Smiling big as you pleased.  Stuck his hand in the napsack, and brung out a can o beans, saying" go ahead Jack, i'll stick with the beans."  Jack just roared with laughter.  Sayin "awright I was purty sure ya'd say that.  Theres some other stuff in there if ya'd rather have it."  
     Ennis finished his lunch and went to unload the horses, and get them all ready for the trip up on Brokeback.  The ladies exited the car coming in his direction, saying "can't we help do that."  "Sure nuff if ya'll don't mind. I could use some help."  So they set about the task and were soon ready to make the trip, and each one had their horse packed and ready.  "Ok ladies I guess we are ready.  Lets do it.  He said,"  He glanced up into the afternoon sky, and saw the clear blue of the sky and light an fluffy clouds on their leisurly trip east.  "Yessiree Jack its a fine afternoon to be out on a horse and taking the trail up again."  He had a small smile on the edge of his mouth as he thought about the many trips that they had made just like this one.  Only thing was.  This one was with complete strangers.  Never mind that they were, women too!  "Well, Jack like ya used to say.  I sure am tryin somp'n new this time!"
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:41:24 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1864 on: July 16, 2007, 03:39:26 pm »
. . . .  He had a small smile on the edge of his mouth as he thought about the many trips that they had made just like this one.  Only thing was.  This one was with complete strangers.  Never mind that they were, women to!  "Well, Jack like ya used to say.  I sure am tryin somp'n new this time!"

This is so lovely and bittersweet, Janice.  Loved the bit about the oysters and the beans - made me laugh because I could picture it perfectly.  Thanks for letting us come along with Ennis as he tries "sompin' new." 

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1865 on: July 16, 2007, 03:41:57 pm »
Endless

As his truck left their meager little place, she felt as though she were watching her own heart drive away, bumping down the washboard road, full of love and aching with sadness.  She prayed that he could feel it, this special mother's love that had no bounds, and she wished that she could wrap it around his neck, a talisman to protect him from all the unknown evils that lay beyond the welling prairie and the endless plain.

~~~~~~
78 words

Scott6373

« Reply #1866 on: July 16, 2007, 04:11:16 pm »
Believe/Belief  7/16/07

Ennis sat in the pew for a long time.  He didn’t do, or say anything, or even meet the gaze of any of the few people that ventured into this sanctuary.  He wasn’t even sure why he came in.  The door was open, and he was closed, so it seemed like a good fit at the moment.  Though he could never claim any measure of comfort or absolution from spending time in a place like this, he felt an odd sense of calm wrap itself around him, and was grateful for the solitude the other communicants afforded him.  He was relaxed enough to not notice the man dressed in black approaching him, nor did his usual ire bubble up at the sight of an intruder to his solitude.  He was an older man, who obviously belonged here more than Ennis.

“Good afternoon son.  I’m Father Laskew.”  Ennis nodded toward the sanctified old man, slightly fearful, as he usually was around people whom he perceived as more worthy than him.  “I’ve never seen you in our church before.  Are you new to the area?”  Ennis shook his head, but said nothing.  “Well, this is a nice place to sit and do some thinking.  You feel free to come back anytime.”  The old priest started to walk away. 

Ennis let him get a few steps away the spoke:  “Father…I um…”  The priest turned around.  Ennis stammered more:  “Um…never mind…sorry ta bother ya.”

“It’s no bother son…”  Ennis bristled at the use of the word ‘son’.  “Are you a believer?”

Ennis didn’t know what to make of this question, because he had never been forced to visit his beliefs in reality.  “I don’t know…I uh…well…I guess I believe, and don’t believe.”

The priest nodded, seemingly understanding, but now a little more wary of this stranger.  “Well, if you have any question, I would be happy to speak with you.”  The priest took a tentative step backwards, and was once again stopped by Ennis voice.

“Father…what do you know about…the Pentecost?”

337 Words

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1867 on: July 16, 2007, 06:16:10 pm »

Reminders

(September 1985)
Ennis walked up the steps to Tom’s trailer.  He walked in through the open door.  Tom was standing right there, with his arms open.  Ennis went straight into them.

Tom wrapped his arms tightly around Ennis and his lips began to search Ennis's warm face.  Their lips joined, Tom could feel Ennis’s hesitation, he could feel his desire.  Tom’s hands began to travel slowly and gently down Ennis’s back.

Then Ennis pulled away, and looked right into Tom’s eyes.  Tom placed his hand on Ennis’s neck and pulled him close again.  They stayed like that, their faces touching, there souls almost joined.  Then Tom moved back, looked deep into Ennis’ eyes and said “its all fine, really, don’t worry about her.”

Ennis looked back at him.  “It’s not that, not now, it’s…..  It’s just I…..I wanna believe.… ” Ennis said, but stopped and sat down on the table.  He looked around, but not at Tom.  He stared at the horseshoe that was now hanging on the wall right above the table.

“When did ya get that?’  Ennis asked. “Didn’t see it before.”

“This morning, found it and kept it” Tom replied.  “For good luck, like a talisman or somethin’…….   It.....it reminded me of you.”

Ennis looked at Tom, then put his head down.  Tom stood there, staring at the horseshoe.  “Just wanna believe, too……” Tom said, his voice trailing off, as moved closer and put his hands on Ennis’s shoulders.

(240 words)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1868 on: July 16, 2007, 10:16:39 pm »
Believe/Belief  7/16/07

. . . .The door was open, and he was closed, so it seemed like a good fit at the moment.   . . . .
What a wonderfully worded sentence.  This is so poignant, Scott . . . . Ennis looking for answers. 

Reminders
. . . .  Tom stood there, staring at the horseshoe.  “Just wanna believe, too……” Tom said, his voice trailing off, as moved closer and put his hands on Ennis’s shoulders.
So very touching, both wanting to believe.  Nicely done, Marl. 

Thanks,
Marie

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1869 on: July 17, 2007, 12:50:29 am »

In a blood red sunset, like an evil talisman, the tire iron cut a cruel arc.

“NOOOOOOO!!!!!!”

A shot echoed, ricocheted off the descending metal, the mechanic’s blow deflected, smashed the knee of the ugly one in Jack’s pickup.  A scream, a loud snap, Ugly pitched face-first into the truck bed.
      Jack wrenched the tire iron free.
      The mechanic pulled a gun.  His eyes darted along the horizon searching for the shooter.
      In the silo’s shadow pawed a chestnut stallion with a silver blaze, its rider cocked his .30-.30.  “Believe I’d drop that pistol.  Your horseshoe ain’t that lucky.”

100 words