Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205308 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1880 on: July 18, 2007, 08:25:49 am »
Hi everyone,

For today:

• new fangled contraption
  • jalopy
  • magenta

Have fun!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline outrider

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • riding beyond the pale, beyond the veil.
Beyond the pale of human knowledge,
beyond the veil of human thought,
a whole mystic dimension.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1882 on: July 18, 2007, 12:36:27 pm »
......Then the visitor left, as the door closed quietly behind him.  He slowly went back to where he came from, with a gentle breeze swirling all around.

Beautiful, touching, just right.  Thanks, Marl. 

The rider and his mount ambled closer, .30-.30 aimed squarely at the mechanic and his stocky cohort.  “I got two bullets.  You got two minutes.  Don’t forget your ugly friend.”

In the emergency room she sat twisting her handkerchief.  The young intern wearing the Kokopelli t-shirt under his lab coat stooped down. 
    “Will he be okay?”
    “He’s stable and resting.”
    “But will he be okay?”
    “We also found a bleeding ulcer.  It’s a treatable H. pylori infection, but the blood loss isn’t helping.”  Her eyes searched his.  “If the planets in alignment and we catch a little luck... maybe.”

100 words

Never doubted you for a second, Clyde.  Briliiant. 

Thanks again for the link, outrider. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1883 on: July 18, 2007, 12:41:23 pm »
A Helping Hand

Ennis patted his shirt pocket and looked around on the counter. 

"Mmmm…no pen," he mumbled.

"Here, Daddy."  Alma, Jr. was beaming, glad to be of help.  "It's my favorite color."

"Uh…"  Ennis took the crayon hesitantly, holding it gingerly as he looked at the word "Magenta" printed on the wrapper. 

"Don't you like it, Daddy?"  The beaming smile dissolving.

Shit.  

He smiled down at her.  "Sure, I do, darlin'.  Thanks." 

He chuckled to himself and took Junior's hand as they left the post office, imagining the look on Jack's face when he received his postcard written in a pink crayon. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1884 on: July 18, 2007, 12:44:39 pm »
Hiya.
A dabble..  :)

Butterflies..

Ennis sat by the window and looked around the little, dark room.  The curtains were a dusty, faded magenta color; the carpet was threadbare and had cigarette burns in several places.  The room smelled of mothballs and bleach and whiskey and sex. 

He took a long drag of his cigarette as his eyes roamed to the rumpled bed.  Jack was sprawled on it, naked as the day he was born, snoring softly in his sleep.  Ennis could feel the butterflies rise up in his stomach as he took in the sight of him.

Nothing mattered at all.  Jack was enough.

(100 words)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1885 on: July 18, 2007, 02:47:22 pm »

Marie that was so cute and charming.

aww Milli one of the happy times........loved that.

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1886 on: July 18, 2007, 03:23:50 pm »
        After the camp was set up, and the foodstuff put away, the dishes were washed and they were just sitting around enjoying the beautiful scenery, and the smells of the woods,  The gentle breeze, and the setting of the afternoon sun.   They all kind of settled into a quite calm.  The blazing of the fire, with the miriad of colors.  Yellow, and reds, magentas and slight blues.  The willowy flickers blowing slight with the soft breeze was most calming to the day.  A chance to relax and unwind from the rough terrain, and sudden noises that had made the horses rebel and jump.
      They all put their feet against the boulders, around the fire and shared the beers, Ennis had packed for them.  Buds naturally.  He didn't know the kind the women drank, he just hoped they weren't too picky, and would take what ever choice he made without sayin much.  They both agreed it was fine with them.  He was relieved, thats the only kind of beer he ever drank unless Jack brought some new fangled thing for them to try.  Some ok, some not so good.  But they always drank them no matter.  When it comes right to it.  Beer is beer pretty much.
       Ms Proulx asked" Ennis, you want to tell us about that bear story now?"
He looked up from the fire and said.  "Well there really ain't much to tell."
I was bringing our weekly food stuff, mostly beans them days.  Back on up here, when I hit that creek we passed a ways back.  And right in the slap dab middle was a bear.  The mules spooked, the horse reared up, and i landed on my head face down in the river gravel.  Them duma... stupid mules took off and ran up the hill scattered purt near all o our supplies all over the dang mountain.  I didn't get back here till way past dark."  "Jack was purty mad, was worried too I spect.  Anyways he was yellin at me about being late, and his bein hungry and nothing but beans to eat.   When he got down here.  Until he seen that i had a cut on my head from hittin my head on the ground.  Then he was a mite changed in attitude.  He asked me what in hell happened.  Then took his own scarf, dipped it in the hot water and handed it to me.  Soes I could clean the cut up."  When I let him know that all we had left purty much, was the beans, he started bitchin again.  Bout bein sick a beans." "  Was gonna kill one a the sheep. "" Soes we'd have some meat for a change."  "Anyways I told him we'd git in trouble from old man Aguirre, for killin the sheep." "He vowed as how nobody would notice one sheep outa a thousand missing.  Coulda happen by natural means."  "Anyhow I told him I'd
stick with beans.  But jack he wouldn't do it.  Decided we would go and hunt for some game to help out."  "So even tho it wasn't allowed, we killed a big elk.  Had nuf meat for the most of the summer offen that big buck."
     " Well Ennis sounds like you and your friend had a pretty good summer that year then."  "Yes maam we sure did.  We surely did."  He remarked with a bit of a smile and a remembered summer he could not relate, but it kept him fairly warmed inside.  "Yes we did, and thats an fact."  but he couldn't tell her about that.  nope that was just for him.  An Jack.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 03:34:18 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1887 on: July 18, 2007, 03:56:02 pm »

Sunrise

(September 1985)
Ennis woke up just as the sun began to rise.  His arms and legs were still mixed up with Tom’s.  Ennis freed one hand,rubbed his eyes, and separated himself from Tom.  Ennis sat up but he closed his eyes again.  He sat there like that for a while, the night, the dreams, replaying in his mind.  Ennis shook his head and sighed, then he put on his shirt and Tom’s pants and went outside.

Ennis stood in front of the trailer, and looked around.  All was still except for the singing birds.  But Ennis just stood there.  Then he began to walk, first past the old jalopy parked in front of the trailer next to Tom's, then past that crumbling trailer till finally he reached his own.  He stopped and looked all around again.

Everything was still, now even the birds.  The sun was still rising, the sky was all shades of magenta and lavender, glowing like a fire coming up from the depths.  Ennis slowly turned around, shielding his eyes from the flaming sky.  He glanced around one last time, then quickly went back to Tom.

(178 words)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1888 on: July 18, 2007, 05:34:02 pm »
. . . .Nothing mattered at all.  Jack was enough.
Ahhh....the words of our hearts that stay trapped inside....bittersweet and beautiful, M.  Great to see you.   :)

After the camp was set up, and the foodstuff put away, the dishes were washed and they were just sitting around enjoying the beautiful scenery, and the smells of the woods,  The gentle breeze, and the setting of the afternoon sun.   They all kind of settled into a quite calm.  The blazing of the fire, with the miriad of colors.  Yellow, and reds, magentas and slight blues.  The willowy flickers blowing slight with the soft breeze was most calming to the day.  A chance to relax and unwind from the rough terrain, and sudden noises that had made the horses rebel and jump.   

. . . .  nope that was just for him.  An Jack.     
Janice, that description was so lovely and true, I felt calmer just reading it.  Such sweet closing words.

Everything was still, now even the birds.  The sun was still rising, the sky was all shades of magenta and lavender, glowing like a fire coming up from the depths.  Ennis slowly turned around, shielding his eyes from the flaming sky.  He glanced around one last time, then quickly went back to Tom.
From the wind...to the gentle breeze...to the stillness and hope of the dawn.  You really created something special, Marl.  Thank you.

Marie

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1889 on: July 18, 2007, 05:40:24 pm »
Afternoon, Cameron.

Well, the last two installments were really great. Glad you cleared up the Visitor from so many times before, watching Ennis and Tom through the window of the trailer, and visiting as the wind.  Looks like Jack is letting Ennis move on, giving Ennis his blessing, regardless of the pain his spirit feels.

When Ennis woke up this time, reminded me a bit of the first time he and Tom slept together, back in May 1985 [#6, The Rest of that Night].  Only this time, Ennis didn't go into his own trailer and look at the postcard and shirts. Instead, he went back to Tom.  Nice, really nice way of showing how Ennis has changed. 

Thanks again.