Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205221 times)

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1900 on: July 20, 2007, 01:18:42 am »

Waiting for the night nurse, she went through his things. 
      His shopping list:
      a gallon of milk
      a gallon of paint
      a gallon of gas
     She smiled.  It was just like him.
     His mail: An old advertising postcard?

Only Jack and the rider remained. 
      The rider dismounted.  “They was gone a kill you.  If you’d a been alone.”  He looked haunted.  A long ago transgression he couldn’t forgive himself.  His eyes filled with tears.  “but I saved you...”   
     Jack’s arms enfolded him.  “Was never no doubt, Ennis.  Didn’t we always know you would have?”   He stroked Ennis’s hair.  “S’alright...  S’alright.”

100 words

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1901 on: July 20, 2007, 10:33:22 am »
Summer of '74

Ennis's heart sank as he drove by the gas station and spotted the sign. Goddamn.  53 cents a gallon?   Could've sworn it was 30-something just a few days ago.  He bit his thumbnail as he thought of the six singles and loose change in his pocket and tried to do some quick figuring.  He'd need to fill up before he left Friday ……fuckin' truck was leakin' oil like a sieve….what was that gonna cost?.....  He cringed at the idea of asking Jimmy for more credit, but it couldn't be helped.  He was leaving early Friday come hell or high water.

~~~~~~~
100 Words

This a one time thing we got goin on here or we gone a find out where he's headed?

The Decision

He drove alone on the road.  He drove for miles and miles and miles.  He drove all day and though the dark night.  But he had to know, he had to find out.

He drove through endless empty fields, and lonely old towns.  He drove over hills and by the mountains.  He drove past farms and acres of corn and wheat, dancing in the never ceasing wind.  He drove through some larger towns, and saw people walking about, absorbed in their own mysteries.

He drove and drove, stopping only for a few gallons of gas.  He didn’t stop to eat, he didn’t stop to sleep.  He didn’t even pause to hear his thoughts, or to listen to the spirits, always speaking to him.

He drove and drove, until he reached the fork in the road.  Then he stopped, and stayed there for a long time.  He didn’t know which way to go.  He waited there, waited to be told which way to go.  But the spirits had gone silent.  He now had to decide on his own.

Nice Marl.

A BBM spin on Robert Frost.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1902 on: July 20, 2007, 10:50:34 am »

Thanks so much Clyde.  But honestly, I never read Robert Frost.  I had no idea I was spinning him. ::)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1903 on: July 20, 2007, 11:25:07 am »
. . . .
He drove and drove, until he reached the fork in the road.  Then he stopped, and stayed there for a long time.  He didn’t know which way to go.  He waited there, waited to be told which way to go.  But the spirits had gone silent.  He now had to decide on his own.

Yep, it all comes down to that doesn't it?  Deciding on our own.  Lovely, Marl, and the perfect picture. I made the same "Robert Frost" connection that Clyde did.  Here's a link if you want to take a look  :)  http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html

. . .  Only Jack and the rider remained. 
      The rider dismounted.  “They was gone a kill you.  If you’d a been alone.”  He looked haunted.  A long ago transgression he couldn’t forgive himself.  His eyes filled with tears.  “but I saved you...”  
     Jack’s arms enfolded him.  “Was never no doubt, Ennis.  Didn’t we always know you would have?”   He stroked Ennis’s hair.  “S’alright...  S’alright.”

Ahhh....I knew it!   ;) 

This a one time thing we got goin on here or we gone a find out where he's headed?
I'm guessin' he's headed to the same "important place" that Jack was in such a hurry to get to a few drabbles ago!   ;D

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1904 on: July 20, 2007, 11:27:43 am »
It's Friday!   :)  How about: 

• July 20, 1969
  • quest
  • impossible

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1905 on: July 20, 2007, 12:44:37 pm »
Thanks, Marie, for the link.  I definitly knew the title, but I haven't read the poem before. :)

Also loved both of your drabbles!!!! :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1906 on: July 20, 2007, 02:06:27 pm »
July 20, 1969
Somewhere in Wyoming
8 am

Ennis started transferring his gear—sleeping bag and knapsack—to the back of Jack’s truck. “Good ta see ya bud, good to see ya,” he said, leaning in and giving Jack a quick kiss.

“Good ta see ya too,” replied Jack. “A week campin in the summer, amazin! For once we won’t be out in the fuckin cold.”

Ennis reached into the cab of his truck and grabbed a transistor radio. “I hope we can get some reception up in the mountains,” he said, twisting the knob.

Jack looked at him, puzzled. “What, you suddenly become a music fan? You want ta go dancin with me or somethin?”

“No,” said Ennis. “Tonight’s the night. I want ta hear it on the radio since we won’t have a TV.”

“Night for what?”

“What the fuck, Jack, you live under a rock or somethin? That guy Armstrong is gonna step on the moon tonight, if all goes accordin’ ta plan.” He looked at the sky above his head. “I can’t hardly believe it…seems impossible ta believe a man is gonna be walkin on the moon.”

“You always did like the stars, Ennis, yer my star gazin friend,” Jack said, his voice wistful.

“Don’t you go getting all mushy on me now,” said Ennis. “Now git,” he added, smacking Jack smartly on the ass. “We gotta get up there and get some serious fuckin in before it gets ta be time ta listen to the radio.”

“Serious fuckin?” said Jack, looking over his shoulder and laughing. “Now I like the sound of that.”

(265 words)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:13:14 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1907 on: July 20, 2007, 02:19:42 pm »
For anyone who is curious, I did a little fact checking. The lunar module, the Eagle, landed on the moon on July 20, at 20:17 UTC, which would have been 14:17 (2:17 pm MDT) in Wyoming. Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon on July 21 at 2:56 UTC. For Ennis and Jack, listening on the radio, that would have been 8:56 pm on July 20, wherever they were in the mountains of Wyoming.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1908 on: July 20, 2007, 04:35:02 pm »
July 20, 1969
Somewhere in Wyoming
8 am

Ennis started transferring his gear—sleeping bag and knapsack—to the back of Jack’s truck. “Good ta see ya bud, good to see ya,” he said, leaning in and giving Jack a quick kiss.

“Good ta see ya too,” replied Jack. “A week campin in the summer, amazin! For once we won’t be out in the fuckin cold.”

Ennis reached into the cab of his truck and grabbed a transistor radio. “I hope we can get some reception up in the mountains,” he said, twisting the knob.

Jack looked at him, puzzled. “What, you suddenly become a music fan? You want ta go dancin with me or somethin?”

“No,” said Ennis. “Tonight’s the night. I want ta hear it on the radio since we won’t have a TV.”

“Night for what?”

“What the fuck, Jack, you live under a rock or somethin? That guy Armstrong is gonna step on the moon tonight, if all goes accordin’ ta plan.” He looked at the sky above his head. “I can’t hardly believe it…seems impossible ta believe a man is gonna be walkin on the moon.”

“You always did like the stars, Ennis, yer my star gazin friend,” Jack said, his voice wistful.

“Don’t you go getting all mushy on me now,” said Ennis. “Now git,” he added, smacking Jack smartly on the ass. “We gotta get up there and get some serious fuckin in before it gets ta be time ta listen to the radio.”

“Serious fuckin?” said Jack, looking over his shoulder and laughing. “Now I like the sound of that.”

(265 words)

I read this and close my eyes and I can see it so clearly.  I wish this kind of scene –this very scene even- were in the movie.  Just one angst-free, happy little gem to hold on to.  Thanks for this, L   :-*

For anyone who is curious, I did a little fact checking. The lunar module, the Eagle, landed on the moon on July 20, at 20:17 UTC, which would have been 14:17 (2:17 pm MDT) in Wyoming. Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon on July 21 at 2:56 UTC. For Ennis and Jack, listening on the radio, that would have been 8:56 pm on July 20, wherever they were in the mountains of Wyoming.

L

LOL!  I was going to look this up myself.

Marie
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:13:29 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1909 on: July 20, 2007, 06:31:58 pm »
Magnificent Desolation

He looked up at the moon with wonder – and longing. Everyone was talking about Armstrong's first words; but the second guy – Aldrin? – his were the words that touched him most. 

Almost 250,00 miles away is what he'd heard.  That spaceship Apollo taking off from the spinning earth and landing on the moon revolving 'round it.  Seemed impossible.  But against the odds and despite the dangers, those men had traveled that unbelievable distance and were there now.  Safe.   One more look before turning away, as he heard in his mind again those words that spoke to his soul.  Magnificent desolation. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words