Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205289 times)

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1920 on: July 23, 2007, 07:39:47 am »

Ennis shrugged. “Man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do,” he said with a wink.

Love Ennis's idea of what it takes to be a man!   ;D

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1921 on: July 23, 2007, 07:54:00 am »
Aww, Clyde .....I look forward to reading these every day to see where you're taking us next.     

Thanks, Marie,
I was afraid I was bumming you out because Jack wasn't really alive.
This all got started because of your comment about laughing and crying, and I thought, "Gee, there's a whole bunch of other emotions I haven't even tried yet, like fear and tension."

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1922 on: July 23, 2007, 08:01:15 am »
Really enjoyed your story, Clyde.
Thank you for filling in some of that open space, those terrible aching doubts, for Ennis.

Thank you, Fern.
I really love Ennis very much.  It's hard for me to put him through a lot of crap.
If I do, I have to leave him better off somehow.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1923 on: July 23, 2007, 08:01:26 am »
Hello everyone,

Following up on Clyde's comment, let's have some emotions for prompts today:

• fear and tension
  • loathing
  • joyous abandon

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1924 on: July 23, 2007, 12:13:18 pm »
. . . .  I’ll always be there.  Jack

Okay, so now you made me cry again, Clyde - but in a good way. 

Well, we’re back where we started at the very first line, we know what Jack decided and his postcard has been delivered, so my little story has come to its end. 
          I hope you can forgive me for letting you think Jack was still alive, but if I did my job, I left Ennis willing to fight for those he loves, believing he just might win, knowing for sure that it was him and not somebody else that Jack loved, and thinking that maybe, just maybe, they really will be together again.

CB

Thanks, Marie,
I was afraid I was bumming you out because Jack wasn't really alive.
This all got started because of your comment about laughing and crying, and I thought, "Gee, there's a whole bunch of other emotions I haven't even tried yet, like fear and tension."

You couldn't have done your job any better, bud.  Yeah, I have to hold on to the belief that Ennis knew - and that Jack did too.  Unbearable otherwise. Thanks so much, Clyde.  Guiding us through all those emotions was a memorable drabble experience.

Marie
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 02:38:11 pm by mariez »
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1925 on: July 23, 2007, 02:42:59 pm »
Looking Back

He had lived with the fear for so long it had become a part of him.  Constantly floating on a river of tension, the brief stops of joyous abandon becoming fewer.  The fear was no longer a part of him; it had been replaced by something even more loathsome.  Nothing ran deeper or wider than the river of regret. 

~~~~~~
59 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1926 on: July 23, 2007, 07:37:10 pm »

The Mirror

She looked in the mirror.  She didn’t like what she saw.  A worn face that was full of tension and fear.  Tension from the present days and fear of what the future days would bring. 

She closed her eyes.  She could almost bring herself back  Back to the days that should have been so different.  Days that should have been filled with joyous abandon, not just with frustration and sorrow.

She looked back at the mirror.  The fear and the tension were still there, along with the loathing.  The loathing of all the things she didn’t do and of all the things she did, and the loathing for what she had become.  Those days couldn’t come back.  Those days would never come back and all that was left was the longing.  The endless, ceaseless longing that now filled her days.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:08:55 pm by Cameron »

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1927 on: July 23, 2007, 11:51:19 pm »

“Beautiful here.  Gone a like camping.”  Cassie flopped down, stretched herself seductively on a log.  “Ennis...”
          “Careful, we ain’t alone.”  Ennis’s face went pale.  “Don’t move sudden.”
          “Why?  Why not?”
          “Snake.  By your hand.  No sudden moves now.”
          “What do I do?”  Her eyes got wide, her breath short and shallow.  Something glided across her fingertips.
          “Stay real still.”  With a stick, Ennis scooped up a dark shape, tossed it in the woods.   
          “Weren’t a rattler, just a old pine snake.”
          Her arms flew round his neck.  “Oh, Ennis.”
          “Afore you go sittin, make sure you ain’t got no company.”

100 words

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1928 on: July 24, 2007, 08:37:58 am »
   Nothing ran deeper or wider than the river of regret. 

Nice image, Marie.

The Mirror

She closed her eyes.  She could almost bring herself back  Back to the days that should have been so different.  Days that should have been filled with joyous abandon, not just with frustration and sorrow.

Marl, I like this rumination here. 

Offline Clyde-B

« Reply #1929 on: July 24, 2007, 08:43:25 am »
Okay, so now you made me cry again, Clyde - but in a good way. 

You couldn't have done your job any better, bud.  Yeah, I have to hold on to the belief that Ennis knew - and that Jack did too.  Unbearable otherwise. Thanks so much, Clyde.  Guiding us through all those emotions was a memorable drabble experience.

Thank you Marie, you're very kind.
I think I are just a frustrated entertainer.