Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205223 times)

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1930 on: July 24, 2007, 12:07:19 pm »
Mornin'.

Well, heard a song yesterday which fit right into the wedding in Childress, so I added the lyrics to Posting #1929, 07/18/07, just in case you might want to take a look. 

Thanks again.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1931 on: July 24, 2007, 12:37:56 pm »
The Mirror

She looked in the mirror.  She didn’t like what she saw.  A worn face that was full of tension and fear.  Tension from the present days and fear of what the future days would bring.   . . . .

Powerful writing, Marl.  At first reading, I thought of Cassie - but then I realized this could be any of the BBM women and that made it even more poignant.

. . . .          Her arms flew round his neck.  “Oh, Ennis.”
          “Afore you go sittin, make sure you ain’t got no company.”

Oh, I liked that!  Thanks for giving Cassie a nice moment.   :)

Mornin'.

Well, heard a song yesterday which fit right into the wedding in Childress, so I added the lyrics to Posting #1929, 07/18/07, just in case you might want to take a look. 

Thanks again.

Just took a look - fitting indeed.  (Got a chuckle out of your little caveat  :)

Marie
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:51:57 pm by mariez »
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1932 on: July 24, 2007, 12:39:44 pm »
Hey, drabblers - some Tuesday prompts  :)

• arbitrary
  • fluctuate
  • delicious

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1933 on: July 24, 2007, 03:55:15 pm »
A Saving Grace

Jack pushed his dinner away, unable to swallow the dried-up, reheated whatever-the-hell-it-was on his plate.  He felt the lump of bitterness and resentment rise up in his throat again and forced himself to take a deep, calming breath.  What a fuckin' day. Damn that L.D., expecting all his little peons, and Jack especially, to kowtow to his arbitrary demands and fluctuating whims.   He leafed through the pile of mail next to his plate and smiled as he spotted a postcard, his anger disappearing.  What the hell…..?  He studied the card for a moment and then chuckled to himself, trying to picture his serious cowboy printing out those words in a pink crayon.  He reached for his fork absentmindedly, reading the card over and over, the dried-up, reheated whatever-the-hell-it-was suddenly becoming the most delicious of meals. 

~~~~~~~
135 Words

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1934 on: July 24, 2007, 05:49:03 pm »
July 24, 1969
Somewhere in Wyoming

“Ya know, Jack, I been meaning ta ask ya…”

“Ask me what, En?” said Jack, poking at the campfire with a stick.

“The last postcard ya sent me…that was one strange picture.”

Jack looked him, puzzled. “Really? What was it? I figured some mountain scene or something, like I usually send.”

“No, it was a picture a two lobsters. One was green and one was red and it said, ‘Fresh from the ocean, fresh from the pot.’”

Jack chuckled. “Mebbe I sent it cuz the lobster looked delicious.”

“Delicious, huh? I ain’t ever ate lobster, what does it taste like?”

Jack shrugged. “I have no idea, I live in Texas, remember? When would I ever eat lobster?”

“Then why’d ya send the fuckin card? Where did it come from, anyway?”

“I dunno. Just some arbitrary choice, I guess. Mebbe I found it at a flea market.”

“You are too much,” said Ennis, shaking his head.

“It worked, didn’t it?”

“Worked how?” said Ennis, looking puzzled.

“Yer here, ain’t ya?”

Ennis looked down at his hands, then smiled sheepishly. “Yeah, I guess I am.”

(189 words)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1935 on: July 24, 2007, 06:50:39 pm »
July 24, 1969
Somewhere in Wyoming
 . . . .
“It worked, didn’t it?”

“Yer here, ain’t ya?”

Hee Hee.  Can't argue with success.  I can picture the look on Ennis's face when he first saw the lobster picture.   ;D

Marie

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1936 on: July 24, 2007, 09:08:26 pm »

She was sweeter than he’d expected, for somebody supposed to be a tough old bird.  Wanting local color, Ennis took her to Pete’s Diner for coffee and dessert.  Ghosts of fried Chicken and hamburgers wafted from the kitchen.
      Her grey hair was close cropped, she wore overalls, but when she talked you could tell she was educated.  Ennis liked that she drove a pickup.
     “...and I’ve never believed attitudes were arbitrary.  They always fluctuate with the landscape and the time in history.”
      Ennis smiled.
     “What are you thinking, Ennis?”
     “I’m thinkin you should try some a Pete’s pie, it’s delicious.”

100 words

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1937 on: July 24, 2007, 09:10:21 pm »
The Silence

“Why don’t you have some peach pie?” the waitress said. “It is really delicious.”  He looked at her and nodded, but he couldn’t eat a bite of it when she brought it to him.

He just sat there and looked out of the window.  He didn’t understand, it was all so arbitrary.  Who was chosen and who was not.  He put his head in his hands.  Sometimes it was fine but often it wasn’t, it always seemed to fluctuate.

He could see it all before him, right in front of his eyes, those days and the sun and the clouds.  He could hear the voices, and the birds and the silence.  The ever present, desperate silence.  He opened his eyes and looked through the window again, beyond the town the road was endless, twisting and turning to the clouds.  The people were talking, the spoons and knives and forks were clicking, but the silence was growing.

“Hey, aren’t ya goin' to eat your pie?”  He picked up his fork, but he still couldn’t eat a bite.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1938 on: July 24, 2007, 09:14:27 pm »
Hey Clyde, looks like we both have pie on our minds, at the exact same time. ::) :)

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1939 on: July 24, 2007, 09:25:26 pm »
A Saving Grace

dried-up, reheated whatever-the-hell-it-was on his plate.   

Had a lot of that growing up.

Marie, I'm so glad you followed up on the pink crayon!

“It worked, didn’t it?”

“Yer here, ain’t ya?”

Yeah, like you could keep him away!   ;D

[
“Hey, aren’t ya goin' to eat your pie?”  He picked up his fork, but he still couldn’t eat a bite.

Poor baby  :(

Yeah Marl, we're both doing pie and peach is my favorite!

Mornin'.

Thanks again.

When are we gone a hear more about that wedding?