Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205181 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1940 on: July 24, 2007, 10:19:58 pm »
      She was sweeter than he’d expected, for somebody supposed to be a tough old bird.  Wanting local color, Ennis took her to Pete’s Diner for coffee and dessert.  Ghosts of fried Chicken and hamburgers wafted from the kitchen.
      Her grey hair was close cropped, she wore overalls, but when she talked you could tell she was educated.  Ennis liked that she drove a pickup.
     “...and I’ve never believed attitudes were arbitrary.  They always fluctuate with the landscape and the time in history.”
      Ennis smiled.
     “What are you thinking, Ennis?”
     “I’m thinkin you should try some a Pete’s pie, it’s delicious.”

100 words

More of this, Clyde...pretty please?   :)

“Hey, aren’t ya goin' to eat your pie?”  He picked up his fork, but he still couldn’t eat a bite.

Just like he couldn't eat no cherry cake....  :(  I just want to hug Ennis.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1941 on: July 24, 2007, 11:55:02 pm »

Just like he couldn't eat no cherry cake....  :(  I just want to hug Ennis.

So do I,... *sigh*...

Thank you, Marie and Clyde. :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1942 on: July 25, 2007, 07:59:55 am »
Hey everyone,

How about:

• Broadway
  • agog
  • ruby red

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1943 on: July 25, 2007, 12:42:35 pm »
If I Only Had …..

Riverton, Wyoming
Sunday evening
March 15, 1970

Alma, Jr. settled herself beside Francie in front of the TV and called back over her shoulder. 

"Hurry, Momma, Daddy – it's gonna start!"

Her momma smiled as she placed a bowl of popcorn in front of the girls and her daddy ruffled her hair before settling down on the couch.  The girls had been agog for a week waiting for this once-a-year treat…..

Junior leaned forward as the camera zoomed in on the ruby red slippers and the yellow brick road appeared in all its glory. Their TV was black and white, but that didn't diminish the moment – she could see the colors clearly in her mind…. 

She took Francie's hand in her own and squeezed.  Those flying monkeys were coming soon and she knew they frightened Francie something awful   As the movie played on, a feeling of happiness and security settled over her.  It had been such a nice week, such a happy day.  Momma wasn't in a sad mood and Daddy wasn't going away….she wanted so badly to join Dorothy and her friends because she knew just what she would ask of the Wizard.   She would ask him to make it stay like this, just like this, always. 

~~~~~~~~
200 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1944 on: July 25, 2007, 09:36:47 pm »
From Now On

(July 1986)
“We oughta go on a trip, I know, how ‘bout New York?” Tom asked, with a grin on his face.  “We’ll see a Broadway show” he said, looking at the glossy magazine in his lap.

“Naw, not me”  Ennis replied.  “Too old.”

“You ain’t too old.  If an aging guy like me can go, you sure can too” Tom said, as he reached over and took Ennis’s hand.

Ennis looked at him but didn’t answer.  They were sitting on the lawn chairs in front of Tom’s trailer.  It was a warm summer evening, the sun was setting and the sky was a brilliant ruby red.

“It’ll be good for us, keep us young, to see a new place.  We really oughta go…..it’ll keep us young….”

Ennis stared at the mountains, dark shadows in front of the glowing sky.  If only it was that easy, just go to a new place and stay young forever, if only…

“Ya know” Ennis said slowly.  “I don’t know, maybe,..... it’s time, but not so far, not New York.  But maybe....it’s time….”

Tom squeezed Ennis’s hand.  “I think it is …”

(186 words)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 12:04:18 am by Cameron »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1945 on: July 25, 2007, 09:39:58 pm »
Marie, I didn't read yours till I posted mine.  If only......  I guess we are thinking alike too. ;) :)

Great drabble, Marie! ;D

BTW, I just realized the prompt was agog, not aging. Oh well. ::)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 10:05:30 pm by Cameron »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1946 on: July 25, 2007, 11:00:38 pm »
Marie, I didn't read yours till I posted mine.  If only......  I guess we are thinking alike too. ;) :)
Well, great minds and all that ...  ;D  And the story does seem to lend itself to those words.  Sigh.

BTW, I just realized the prompt was agog, not aging. Oh well. ::)
LOL! That's funny - I've misread prompts before too.  But, hey, you used Broadway - I never would have known about the about the agog/aging thing! 

. . . .“Ya know” Ennis said slowly.  “I don’t know, maybe,..... it’s time, but not so far, not New York.  But maybe....it’s time….”

Tom squeezed Ennis’s hand.  “I think it is …”
Yes, Ennis - one step at a time.  And "brilliant ruby red" is a gorgeous desription of the sky that goes perfectly with your picture! 

Thanks,
Marie

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1947 on: July 25, 2007, 11:41:14 pm »
 :D :D :D

Thank you, Marie!

Also, I had to look it up, but I am all agog to read more wonderful drabbles. ;D

Marl

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1948 on: July 26, 2007, 06:48:55 am »
Morning all,

How about:

• bottled water
  • apropos
  • in the blink of an eye

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1949 on: July 26, 2007, 08:25:38 am »

“Why stay here, Ennis?  Why not go someplace more... friendly?”   She cut a fork full of pie on the ruby red plate.
    “Where’d I go?”  He sipped his coffee.
    “New York?  There’s Broadway plays.  I’ll bet you’d be all agog just to see the lights.”
    “What’d I do there?  Stand on a corner, shake a cup?”
     “I’m sure there must be something.”
     “Couldn’t breathe.  All walls and no sky.  Dead air.  You want lights?  I’ll take you a place on Dead Horse road; at night, look up, never saw so many lights your whole life.  Besides, my girls is here.”

100 words