Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205234 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #1990 on: July 30, 2007, 05:00:28 pm »
          The day was warm and flies were buzzing around, as were the swarms of gnats.  Lots of dragonflies, and butterflies doing their daily chores.   The dragonflied darting up and down to the skim of the water, and the bees and butterflies, making their zig zag path from flower to flower.
          His mind was wandering and wondering, did bugs and critters have highways like the larger animals, and people do.  Do they have a highway" 66" or whatever the equivalent of that would be?  Probably not he thought. 
          Annie spoke out, breaking him out of his reverie.  " I think according to the map, its right up ahead."  His head jerked up from his far away place.  Wow  " I think I am going to be plain crackers, one of these day soon."  He thought to himself.  He nudged his horse up to catch up with the women.  He looked out over the ledge he came too.  It was the old place where he had sat, near the edge, with the blue healers, while he watched Jack.
          Jack was pulling some thorn bush snarl out of a ewe.  He looked like he was the most gentle thing in the world the way he handled her.  The look on the face she looked skyward was of pure love.. No fear, and no pain, she just lay back in his arms like a lover.  He didn't know what made him think of that.  Just something that came to his mind.  She again said, "how, you suppose is the best way to get down there?''  He told her there was a small trail just to the west a bit.  Thats the first place we pastured the sheep."  She smiled back at him, and said "Lets do it then."  They all turned back to the left and made to go to the trail.  He thought to himself,  "Well Jack I have finally come back here.  Back where it all started, that long ago time."   "Sure wish you was here this time too."  "Probably see you in the future, where you are, stid o here."
          "Ok maam, i`ll be right with you."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 04:07:00 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1991 on: July 30, 2007, 06:31:41 pm »
The Dark Road

“In all this time, you still never told me, not really” Tom said.

Ennis turned to him.  “But you…... you never told me…..” Ennis said, but now Tom didn't reply.

\

Afternoon, Marl.

Well, guess they both need to talk, after all this time.  Ennis brought along a tangible reminder of Jack, along with the intangible memories drifting by the window. What did Tom bring with him?

Can only sigh, thinking about the aches inside both of them.  Hope the spirit of Jack helps Ennis on this trip, too.

Thanks again. 

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1992 on: July 30, 2007, 09:21:01 pm »

The Shadows

(July 1986)
Ennis kept looking out the window.  They were driving by a town, the lights were on in some of the houses.  The trees cast ghostly dark shadows over all.  The houses were flying by, the secrets were all concealed.

Tom turned on the radio and then fiddled with the knob.  The stations were crackling with static, the voices sounding far, far away.  Tom kept turning the knob.  “I’m leaving on a jet plane, don’t know when I’ll be back again..."  was heard through all the noise, the sweet voices sounding sad and lost.

Tom turned the radio off.  “Guess we gotta stop soon.”

Ennis turned to him, then he turned back to the window, the shadows were close.  “It feels….like, you know, almost like…..” Ennis said, but then he stopped.  The shadows were even closer.

“We gotta stop soon” Tom said again, but he kept on driving.

“Did I ever tell you ‘bout that time, on Route 66, me and my buddy?” 

Ennis glanced at him and shook his head.

“Well, it was early on, way back, long time ago… ”  Tom began, but then he quickly glanced at Ennis, then looked again at the dark road.

“It was a long time ago, that night, on Route 66…”  Tom said, but then he was quiet.  Ennis looked out of the window again, the shadows were upon him.  He tightened his arms around the duffel bag and closed his eyes.

Tom sighed.  “We better stop soon” he said one more time.  But he didn’t stop.  They just kept on going on the long lonesome highway, through the shadows in the darkness.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1993 on: July 30, 2007, 11:20:20 pm »

He was lean, Ennis’s height, ten years his junior.  He smiled, ran a hand through dark wavy hair, and gestured toward a wood-paneled room littered with formica dinettes.  “Table, bar or booth, take your pick.” 
       The place was empty.  The jukebox sang, “...leaving on a jet plane...”
      “Let’s leave.”
       “Nonsense Ennis, this is charming.”  She slid into a wood-backed booth next to a tin Route 66 sign.  Painted beneath it: ‘That long lonesome highway.’
      “Take your order?”
      “I’ll have vodka on the rocks with a twist.”
      “You?”
      Gazing into the bluest eyes, Ennis opened his mouth but nothing came out.

100 words

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #1994 on: July 30, 2007, 11:35:04 pm »
Cause even in the make-believe world of TV, two guys didn't settle down together.  No way, no how. 

Hehe, Marie.  That's what he thinks.

"Well Jack I have finally come back here.  Back where it all started, that long ago time."   "Sure wish you was here this time too."   

Janice, don't we all.

Tom sighed.  “We better stop soon” he said one more time.  But he didn’t stop.  They just kept on going on the long lonesome highway, through the shadows in the darkness.

Marl,
Poignant and eerie both, interesting combination.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1995 on: July 31, 2007, 08:32:44 am »
Hello everyone,

For today, let's try:

• desert
  • palm tree
  • slot machine

(Yes, I am in Las Vegas)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1996 on: July 31, 2007, 12:25:32 pm »
          His mind was wandering and wondering, did bugs and critters have highways like the larger animals, and people do.  Do they have a highway" 66" or whatever the equivalent of that would be?  Probably not he thought.  ....

I like that sentence a lot - kind of whimsical, but serious!  Great story, Janice.

....Gazing into the bluest eyes, Ennis opened his mouth but nothing came out.
Oh, my.  I wasn't expecting that.

. . . .
Ennis kept looking out the window.  They were driving by a town, the lights were on in some of the houses.  The trees cast ghostly dark shadows over all.  The houses were flying by, the secrets were all concealed.
I do hope those shadows allow them both some peace.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1997 on: July 31, 2007, 12:27:33 pm »
Against the Odds

Jack left Lureen at the blackjack table and wandered to the slot machines.  She had a good head for numbers, but it took more than that to beat the odds.  You needed luck in this desert town, something he'd never had much of.  He picked a machine with palm trees on it, and slipped the coins in mindlessly as he pulled the lever.  Didn't much matter whether he beat the odds in this smoky room anyway.  The only jackpot he wanted was a sweet life with his brown-eyed cowboy and the odds against that seemed to grow longer every day….

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1998 on: July 31, 2007, 12:43:34 pm »
          As Ennis turned, to follow the two women, he felt a shiver of cold air go over him.  Since the day was sunny and warm, he didn't understand.  Then the next moment the air smelled sweet and like a smoke from a cigarette.  He didn't think those women smoked.  He hadn't had a cigarette since the one following breakfast.  Then he hurried to catch up to the women, before they take a wrong turn.  They might go the wrong way, and that would be a rough turn around to get back headed the right way.  He caught up just as they were going on down the right side of the incline. 
          The trail widened just there, and they could ride three abreast for the remainder of the ride down to the meadow.  It only took another half hour to get down to the flat place on the hill.  Where they had first pastured the sheep.  Ennis dismounted the horse, and was looking around for a likely place to have their lunch.  While the ladies continued around the area.  He could have all the fixins ready for the lunch ready by the time they returned.
           Annie and Mary continued down by the tree line, and Ennis opened up the saddle bag, and pulled out the
Canned ham he had brought, along with the can of olives, and the bread.  He always kept the bread in a tin for the trips when he went camping, so as not to squash it to a flat piece of dough.  Then he brought out the small can of pickled mushrooms, and the dried onions in their cardboard can.  He also had a package of Chips ahoy cookies.  When he got them all layed out on a ground cloth.  He could see the women headed back in his direction.  He pulled out the rest of the beers he had brought, and figured "it ain't much, but it will do." 
            They were far enough away it would take them a good half hour to get back, unless they decided to ki ck the horses into a hurry.  He lay back on a log, and just watched the butterflies and birds that were lazily catching their days flight way up in the high mountain currents.  He felt a chill again, and kind of wished he had left his jacket on this morning, instead of putting it back in the saddlebag on the horse.  Oh well he lay there and closed his eyes, thinking how good it always felt to be back in the mountains.  More specially their mountain.  Even if it was just for a short time.  He thought of all the times he had lay on the grass, thinking about the horrible smell of those damn sheep.  About the dogs he could hear in the distance yapping at the heels of some sheep, and of the morning they had to "bring em down."  He sat on that rise, and pondered about what the future held for him.  Should he go and try to find work with Jack for the rest of the summer?  Should he go on and marry Alma and put Jack out of his mind for the rest of his life?  Or should he ask Jack?  What are we gonna do about this situation?  He really didn't know any better today than he did that time he sat there.  He knew he never wanted to lose site of Jack.  But no matter how hard he figured on it.  He just did not see any way to have them have a way to stay together.  Alma was waiting and depending on him.  She was a sweet little gal, and it wasn't her fault he had realized he didn't really love her.  It wasn't her fault he didn't know what in hell he wanted to do.  After what had happened to old Earl, back home, no way two guys could live together..  That would get them kilt for sure.  Oh god he was feeling just the way he had that other day so long ago.  After all their times together, it had all turned out the same anyhow.  Jack was dead, and he still didn't know why, or really even for sure how.  Not really. 
           It was one of those times he had, when he would have loved to just take off and grab Jack, and head to some far away tropical paradise he had heard of.  Or a desert, with palm trees, and camels and tents.  But he knew that was just a fantasy.  It was never their lot to hit that kind of jackpot.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 05:50:35 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1999 on: July 31, 2007, 07:14:56 pm »
          As Ennis turned, to follow the two women, he felt a shiver of cold air go over him.  Since the day was sunny and warm, he didn't understand.  ......

..... It was one of those times he had, when he would have loved to just take off and grab Jack, and head to some far away tropicl paradise he had heard of.  Or a desert, with palm trees, and camels and tents.  But he knew that was just a fantasy.  It was never their lot to hit that kind of jackpot.             

Janice, your descriptive details are wonderful and the peek inside Ennis's mind is wrenching and true (and his shiver made me shiver).

Thanks,
Marie