Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205333 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2010 on: August 02, 2007, 12:01:07 pm »
Happy Thursday - how about:

• dinner bell
  • running
  • aroma

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2011 on: August 02, 2007, 11:26:47 pm »

“You got no right.”  Ennis slammed his fist.
      “Look, you step one foot in here, turn white as a sheet like you’ve seen a ghost, and close up like a clam.  I’m not supposed to notice?  Noticing things is how I make a living.”
       Ennis stared at his beer and picked at the label.  “Looks so much like Jack, could be his brother.  But he didn’t have none.”
       “You smell a delicious aroma coming from the kitchen, you hear the dinner bell, but instead of staying to eat, you’re running away.”
       “What?”
       “What if life’s offering you a second chance?”

100 words

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2012 on: August 02, 2007, 11:34:35 pm »
[   God, Jack, if you were here right now I'd follow you anywhere on earth …….I swear…..

Marie,
I sure believe he would.

From the king-sized bed across the room came the soft sounds of even, peaceful breathing.  Two studs slept there, one dark-haired, one sandy-blond haired, both with a sprinkling of gray around the temples, arms and legs tangled, sweat mixed with semen locking their skin together, what could be smiles on their faces, both tired out from an afternoon and evening smiling, talking, walking, drinking and dancing with a crowd, but especially from enjoying each other physically and mentally all by themselves. 

Cowboy,
This is so sweet, I wonder if Ennis talks in his sleep?   "1,2,3,4....1,2,3,4"

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2013 on: August 03, 2007, 08:16:53 am »
continued from http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,7810.msg166526.html#msg166526

Running

His demons weren't following him today, weren't biting at him like they did sometimes, like coyotes going at the sheep. What traveled with him now was the way Jack had looked at him before he headed out the door, damn good reason to get his running done, and get home. Home, it was a miracle to him, every day, that he had a place to call home, what had come to pass when he'd finally admitted to himself that home was only and always where Jack and him were together.

And whether or not he could believe, when the demons still howled in his head sometimes, that Jack and him had a right to this life together, it didn't change anything. Every day he woke up and said good morning to that man. Was going to keep doing that every day for the rest of his life. He didn't know why Jack loved him, but he didn't doubt anymore that he did, didn't call it anything else than what it was. Hoped he brought enough to their life together to make Jack know that he felt the same for him. Wasn't going to run from that ever again.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 01:47:07 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2014 on: August 03, 2007, 12:20:30 pm »
... “You smell a delicious aroma coming from the kitchen, you hear the dinner bell, but instead of staying to eat, you’re running away.” 

Damn, that's good, Clyde.  Hooked me again, bud.

Running
 . . . .
His demons weren't following him today, weren't biting at him like they did sometimes, like coyotes going at the sheep. What traveled with him now was the way Jack had looked at him before he headed out the door, damn good reason to get his running done, and get home.  . . . .

. . .Hoped he brought enough to their life together to make Jack know that he felt the same for him. Wasn't going to run from that ever again.

Fern, it is always a joy to read your writings.  What a lovely, uplifting use of that prompt.  Thank you.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2015 on: August 03, 2007, 12:22:04 pm »
And it's Friday.....  :)  Let's try:

• favorite
  • harmony
  • mind your own business

Marie

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2016 on: August 03, 2007, 01:29:21 pm »
Mornin', Clyde.

Well, right back at ya.  Kinda like counting sheep, 1, 2, 3, 4...

Enjoy your drabbles, too.  The new thread is interesting, life providing a second chance.

Thanks again.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2017 on: August 03, 2007, 03:18:58 pm »
"How 'bout this Ennis fella? He still comin' one a these days?"

"Mind yer own business, old man."

"Yer all talk, Jack. All talk, but nothin ya say will ever come ta pass."

"You jus wait and see."

"Jackie, want another cup a coffee? Piece a cherry cake?"

"Yes. Thanks mom."

"I doubt I'll live to see the day famous Ennis Del Mar will cross this threshold."

"Depends on whether you decide to die the next ten minutes or not."

~80 words

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2018 on: August 03, 2007, 04:04:25 pm »
         They walked into the bar in Signal.  Jacks favorite song was playing on the juke box. " Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro.  The room was dark enough but not sos you couldn't see, helpin keep it cooler than the outside.  He started singing the words low under his breath.  "I laughed at her and she got mad the first day that she planted it, was just a twig......Ennis looked at him kind of strange, and smiled. " Jack said can you sing harmony? " "Can I sing whaa?"  "Harmony Jack said.  Sure will make the evenings go easier if we can do something like that.  Singing?  Can ya sing?" 
           "I don think thats really any o yer business."  "I ain't gonna get paid to sing, am I?"  "Don't get mad, Del Mar, just askin."  "I ain't mad, just never had no time for such foolishness I guess."  "I used to hear my mama sing some church songs when i was a kid though."  "Well come to think of it I may know a couple of songs.  Not many." As he recalled some of the words to "Strawberry Roan," KE had taught him.
            "Well don't you worry, i'll have you singing like Glen Campbell fore long.  Just you wait."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:14:31 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2019 on: August 03, 2007, 05:20:26 pm »
. . . . .
"I doubt I'll live to see the day famous Ennis Del Mar will cross this threshold."

That sent a chill up my spine, Chrissi.  All dialogue, no tags - very effective.

. . . .
            "Well don't you worry, i'll have you singing like Glen Campbell fore long.  Just you wait." 

That was a clever use of all the prompts, Janice.  Sweet scene. 

Marie