Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205218 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2060 on: August 09, 2007, 05:07:11 pm »
Afterglow

(August 1986)
Ennis drove the truck slowly, past branches scattered all over, and cars left when the water got too high. There were parts of houses and buildings, and a big sign saying ‘Fresh Lemonade’ right in the middle of the road.  The rain had stopped, the floods were receding, only the dark clouds loomed overhead.  But the air was now fresh and clean.  Ennis kept looking over at Tom, sitting as calmly as if nothing had happened at all.

Finally they reached a town, and Ennis drove down Main Street, where people were in the street cleaning up the mess.  At the end of the road was a small diner, in an old trailer with a gas tank on the side.  Ennis pulled over and Tom got out, but Ennis just sat there in the driver’s seat.

“Aren’t ya comin’?” Tom asked, looking puzzled.

“In a minute” Ennis replied.

“Suit yourself” Tom said, and went inside the diner.

Ennis rubbed his eyes and reached for the duffel bag.  He took out the shirts, unwrapped them, and held them tight.  He looked up to the sky, still covered with the clouds.  Then he looked at the shirts in his hands.

“Ya know, I,,,,,I need him, I do.  I can’t lose him.  I got so damn scared, I just can’t, I can’t lose him.”

Ennis wiped the tears from his eyes and looked back up at the heavens.  “I guess….I guess I ….I love him too.”

Suddenly, from the midst of the foreboding clouds, a small space appeared.  Through the space, a faint ray of light came down towards the restless ground.  Then just as suddenly, the space was filled in.  All that was left was a barely perceptible glow.

Ennis smiled through his tears, and kissed the blue shirt.  He wrapped up the shirts, put them the duffel bag and quickly got out of the truck.  The last lingering doubts were washed away with the storm.  Ennis knew he needed to be with Tom.  He hurried inside the diner.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2061 on: August 09, 2007, 05:50:28 pm »
.  . .He thought of the awkward moment that had caused him to flee.  He could not tell them what Jack had meant to him.  It was still too painful, even after the time that had passed.  Those old time were still too fresh in his mind. 

An awkward moment leads to a touching moment.  Nicely done, Janice.

A little something that is recycled from "A Love Born From Steel" but I couldn't resist with awkward moment. From Chapter 12:
 . . . . .
Jenny nodded as if this was the most natural thing in the world, having absolutely no issue with the fact that her father was in love with another man.

Oh, that scene is tailor-made to the prompt!  One of my favorite ALBFS moments.   :)

Afterglow
. . . .
Ennis smiled through his tears, and kissed the blue shirt.  He wrapped up the shirts, put them the duffel bag and quickly got out of the truck.  The last lingering doubts were washed away with the storm.  Ennis knew he needed to be with Tom.  He hurried inside the diner.

A pivotal moment for Ennis.  Beautifully done.

Thanks, all
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2062 on: August 09, 2007, 08:05:07 pm »
Afternoon, Marl.

Well, this trip has settled Ennis in so many ways. He knows he loves Tom, and needs to be with him.  He believes that now he has Jack's approval.  He can put away the shirts, keep them safe along with his love for Jack, but still move away from the cloud he's been under and walk into the sunshine with Tom. 

Lots of good metaphors going here.

Thanks again. 

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2063 on: August 10, 2007, 12:03:44 pm »
Thank you so much as always, Marie and Cowboy!!
I always apreciate your kind words! :)

Marl

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2064 on: August 10, 2007, 12:26:25 pm »
Some TGIF prompts   :)

• decadent
  • mahogany
  • humid

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2065 on: August 10, 2007, 04:56:26 pm »
Hello ladies and gents,

I been gone a while, but I am thrilled to see the D-fest still alive and kicking!  ;)
I got a little contribution today.  It ain't what I was expecting would come out, but, oh well..

~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~

Blue as ever

It was a cold morning, yet it felt warm and humid in the little trailer.  He sat idly on the unmade twin bed and watched as thick clouds of steam rose from the whistling kettle on the stove.  His mind seemed to evaporate into the room with every burst of hot air.  He could feel himself fading into emptiness as his strength slowly slipped away. 

Ennis buried his face in his hands as his mind was assaulted by yet another image from his nightmare – his lover was lying helplessly on the grass; blood on his face, his clothes and on the tire-iron lying beside his limp body.  His eyes were still open, they were as blue as ever, only empty and cold this time. 

He wept.  He was not religious, but a short prayer crossed his lips.  If there was anyone up there, now would be a good time for him to speak. 

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 05:04:25 pm by Lucise »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2066 on: August 10, 2007, 05:54:17 pm »

Blue as ever

Your use of language is as amazing as ever.  How can mere words - letters strung together - be so powerful and so wrenching?  I'm thrilled to see you, too, M!

Thanks,
Marie

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2067 on: August 10, 2007, 08:52:33 pm »
(One of my strange ones....)

The Diaries

The air was thick and humid.  It was hard to move or even to think.  She sat at the table looking through the pages of her old diaries, written in those black and white school notebooks.  She once was young and hopeful.  She was sure she would have a fine family, with laughing children and furniture of mahogany and gleaming glass.  She was sure that she would have lots of friends some day, all smart and creative and decadent.

She turned the pages.  She found the pages from the days when it began to change. The days when all the mistakes were made.  She looked through those pages, but she couldn’t bear to read them.  She just sat there, in the warm kitchen, staring at the pages.  Then she closed the old faded notebook, she couldn’t bear to look any longer.

So many wasted days.  So many days filled with nothing but longing and loneliness.  She wanted it to be different, she hoped that it still could be different.  She prayed that it wasn’t too late.  She got up and went outside, and walked in the thick air to the store.  It was time to buy a new notebook.  A brand new one with bright, clean, blank pages.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #2068 on: August 10, 2007, 09:47:09 pm »

“Well, it is my respectful opinion that that young man is interested in becoming your companion.”   The phrase: ‘respectful opinion’, was just slightly slurred.
      Ennis laughed.  “You spend too much time makin up stories.  More’n likely kid felt bad for gougin you for that rot gut vodka.”  The wind ruffled Ennis’s hair.
      “Looks like we’re going to have company.”
      “Not this time a night, not likely.”   
      She pointed behind the truck toward the full moon.  “See for yourself.”
      Silhouetted in the moonlight, sauntering toward them, a figure on horseback wearing a Texas cut Resistol, its brim with a familiar curl.

100 words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2069 on: August 10, 2007, 10:38:09 pm »
. . . . It was time to buy a new notebook.  A brand new one with bright, clean, blank pages.

Oh, I didn't find this strange at all.  I've always loved brand new notebooks and journals and diaries with all those blank pages.  Such possibilities.....

. . .   Silhouetted in the moonlight, sauntering toward them, a figure on horseback wearing a Texas cut Resistol, its brim with a familiar curl. 

Now there's an image.  I like the tone of this story, Clyde.  It's kind of quirky and mysterious and I have no idea where you're taking us. 

Marie