Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1205931 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2140 on: August 24, 2007, 06:45:49 am »
Morning all,

This is the way I feel, so have at it:

• I didn't sleep a wink last night
  • crazy dreams
  • tossing and turning
  • tears on my pillow

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2141 on: August 24, 2007, 08:57:22 am »
Brokeback Mountain
Summer 1963

Ennis was drunk and Jack was not far behind. It was moments like this, when they had consumed too much Old Rose that they got silly and playful and Jack usually decided he could sing. “Water-walkin Jesus!” he'd shout at the top of his lungs, the words reverberating off the mountains.

“Shut the fuck up,” said Ennis, throwing some dirt at Jack’s head. “You’ll scare the sheep.”

“You pick the song then,” said Jack. “I can sing anythin. I know all the words.”

“I bet the fuck ya don’t,” said Ennis, hitching up his pants and leaning back. “Lemme think.” He paused for a minute, then, in a high falsetto:

You don’t remember me
But I remember you
It was not long ago
You broke my heart in two

Tears on my pillow
Stains on my sheets
Caused by you….yooooouuuuu…..

“What the fuck?” said Jack, falling off his log and rolling on the ground, doubling over in laughter.

“What?” said Ennis, proud of his accomplishment, remembering the words to the Little Anthony and the Imperials hit from 1958.

“It’s ‘pain in my heart’ you stupid fuck. Not ‘stains on my sheets.’”

“Really?” said Ennis, perplexed. “Stains on my sheets is more realistic, don’t ya think?”

Jack continued to howl with laughter. “Ya really think they’d play ‘stains on my sheets’ on the radio? Holy Christ, Ennis, use yer head.”

“Fuck that, then,” said Ennis, his head hanging down. “Yer the one who asked me ta sing. Yer gonna make fun a me, I ain’t singin no more.” He crossed his arms and looked resolute.

Jack crawled on his hands and knees to were Ennis was sitting on his log. He reached for his lover’s hips and then with a wink, began to sing:

The clock downstairs was striking four
Couldn't get you off my mind...
I heard the milkman at the door..
Cause I was tossin and turning
Turning and tossin
Tossin and turnin all the night..

(333 words)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:00:51 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2142 on: August 24, 2007, 12:52:50 pm »
Hey, this place was hopping overnight!   :)

Ennis looked over his shoulder at the house and smiled at the fine-looking sight that greeted him.  Jack was leaning against the door post - his strong hand roaming leisurely along the trail of fine, dark hair on his firm belly; his jeans were riding low on his hips and he wore a devil-may-care, sassy smile on his lips.  Fuck.  At this rate, there is no way he would ever be able to get anything done, what with Jack hanging around teasing the way he was carrying on.
Hot Damn - that is quite a picture!  Big Sigh that it's a dream (and a gold star for the great use of the "open" prompt!   ;D)  So happy to see you, M!

"You're afraid you'll like it, that's what it is, isn't it?  Afraid you'll wanta do it over and over again out here, all summer long.  Ennis is afrai-d, Ennis is afra-id, Ennis..."
Hee-hee.  Too funny.  Always great to read one of your drabbles, cwby.   :)

“I bet the fuck ya don’t,” said Ennis, hitching up his pants and leaning back. “Lemme think.” He paused for a minute, then, in a high falsetto:

You don’t remember me
But I remember you
It was not long ago
You broke my heart in two

Tears on my pillow
Stains on my sheets
Caused by you….yooooouuuuu…..

Ennis singing Little Anthony?  Stains on my sheets?   :laugh:  Gawd, I love this, L!  (Sorry about your night.)

Thanks, all
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2143 on: August 24, 2007, 01:00:17 pm »
The Cold Light of Day

The morning light crept into the room as Alma stared at the ceiling.  Both girls had ended up in bed with her, tossing and turning, but she wouldn't have slept a wink anyway.  She shut her eyes tightly in a futile attempt to stop the images that ran through her mind in an endless loop, her body paralyzed with fear and confusion.   

But….maybe she had slept? Rising gently around her babies, she stumbled through the doorway, heart racing. Toothbrush - gone.  Knapsack - gone.  Fishing tackle - gone.  So… not a crazy dream, after all, but a real life nightmare.

~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2144 on: August 24, 2007, 03:22:41 pm »
Hey, this place was hopping overnight!   :)

Hot Damn - that is quite a picture!  Big Sigh that it's a dream (and a gold star for the great use of the "open" prompt!   ;D)  So happy to see you, M!

Cheers Marie!
 It's been a while, ain't it?  So good to see ya too!  8)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2145 on: August 25, 2007, 08:14:46 am »
Morning all,

• coffee beans
  • plastic lawn chair
  • bowling ball

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2146 on: August 26, 2007, 07:19:20 am »
Not a single drabble yesterday! Were the prompts that uninspiring? LOL. Or maybe everyone was just busy enjoy these late summer days. I know I had a busy day bringing my daughter home from camp. No drabbling for me!

Let's see if these inspire folks today...

• parsley
  • make-believe/pretend
  • a can of Off!
L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2147 on: August 26, 2007, 08:09:08 pm »
No such thing as uninspiring prompts, L!  :)  I know I've had a very hectic weekend myself.  But it's only 8:00 p.m., maybe I still have some time to get my mind in drabble mode .....

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2148 on: August 26, 2007, 10:50:42 pm »
The Best Laid Plans

He told himself he'd have one smoke before getting out of the truck, but 20 minutes later he still hadn't moved. He missed his li'l darlins something awful and wished he could be alone with them today.  Monroe was decent enough, but the fact that his girls were living under another man's roof stuck in his craw. 

He fidgeted with the unfamiliar tie, smoothed his hair, and took a deep breath.  He was determined to be a happy Daddy in front of the girls, but maybe he wouldn't have to pretend.  It was Thanksgiving, after all.  How bad could it be? 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2149 on: August 27, 2007, 12:25:29 pm »
Okay, drabblers, how about these prompts to start off the work week:

• high altitude
  • cool breeze
  • intense

:)
Marie