Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1199076 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #2920 on: September 28, 2008, 07:54:09 am »
Hey Marie (and anybody who might still be here),

thanks for keeping this thread alive.
After quite a while, I have a drabble to share. It's 185 words and inspired by last week's prompt "bubble".

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2921 on: September 28, 2008, 07:58:14 am »
It was on the fourth day of their trip. They had ridden for a while and seen nothing but some deer and a creek. Then an old, overgrown path appeared, almost not recognizable. Out of curiosity they followed the path.
He saw it first. And the moment he saw it, he knew that was the place. If there may ever be a place for them in the world, this would be it. The old ranchhouse was not more than a log cabin, but  there was a barn and a few stables. It was clear that the place hadn't been used for some years, but it was far from falling down. With some work it could be brought back into shape.
He was sure it would be cheap, being so far out and abandoned for a while.

He looked at his friend's face.

And the bubble burst.

Jack would go crazy in a place like this, hidden in the woods, nobody ever coming by, no stores and fancy clothes, no shiny new pickups and nobody to talk to except a run-down ranch hand like himself.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2922 on: September 28, 2008, 11:52:05 am »
It was on the fourth day of their trip. They had ridden for a while and seen nothing but some deer and a creek. Then an old, overgrown path appeared, almost not recognizable. Out of curiosity they followed the path.
He saw it first. And the moment he saw it, he knew that was the place. If there may ever be a place for them in the world, this would be it. The old ranchhouse was not more than a log cabin, but  there was a barn and a few stables. It was clear that the place hadn't been used for some years, but it was far from falling down. With some work it could be brought back into shape.
He was sure it would be cheap, being so far out and abandoned for a while.

He looked at his friend's face.

And the bubble burst.

Jack would go crazy in a place like this, hidden in the woods, nobody ever coming by, no stores and fancy clothes, no shiny new pickups and nobody to talk to except a run-down ranch hand like himself.

Hey Chrissi - great to see you here and drabbling.  This is just so damn good on so many levels, and especially in the way you did this kind of 180 degree turn.  It's so damn truthful it makes me want to cry.  And the picture is just gorgeous - so poignant. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #2923 on: September 29, 2008, 01:06:04 am »
Hey Chrissi - great to see you here and drabbling.  This is just so damn good on so many levels, and especially in the way you did this kind of 180 degree turn.  It's so damn truthful it makes me want to cry.  And the picture is just gorgeous - so poignant. 

Thanks,
Marie

Marie, (my name is also Marie) I just want you to know that I've enjoyed the drabblefest for years, but I've only contributed once.  I'm glad you're keeping up the amazing work.  You all are just so talented.  I get such a warm feeling whenever I read your drabbles!  Wonderful!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2924 on: September 29, 2008, 01:21:37 pm »
Marie, (my name is also Marie) I just want you to know that I've enjoyed the drabblefest for years, but I've only contributed once.  I'm glad you're keeping up the amazing work.  You all are just so talented.  I get such a warm feeling whenever I read your drabbles!  Wonderful!

I didn't know we had another Marie here - that's great.  Nice to meet you, Marie, and thanks for the kind words.  I like to think that anyone who stops by and reads is contributing so thanks for that, too!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2925 on: September 29, 2008, 01:23:40 pm »
In Common

Common courtesy compelled her to keep talking, to tell him that yes, Jack's folks still lived in Lightning Flat and that she supposed they'd appreciate a call.  Meanwhile, common sense was shifting all of the pieces into place …. how he'd called Brokeback Mountain "his place," the wistful look he'd gotten when talking about it… wanting his ashes scattered up there.   But mostly it was the voice on the other end of the line falling irreversibly through the wire.  A voice that was suffused with sadness, tinged with anger, and steeped in regret. 

A perfect mirror of her own feelings. 

~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline August7th

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2926 on: September 29, 2008, 08:46:14 pm »
Hello --  I'm new to this forum and new to writing drabbles, but I've really enjoyed reading what has been posted and thought I'd try my hand at it.

The following is in response to the prompts: bubble; crash; Great Depression.

"Granddaddy, were you alive during the Great Depression?"

"Yes siree, Bobby."

"Teacher told us about the stock market crash, but I'm kinda confused. Why'd it happen?"

"Good question, boy. You need to start understanding business if you're a gonna take over Newsome Farm Machinery one day. The best way to think of the crash is that people got too optimistic. Thought that the good times had come to stay, when really they were just sittin' on a big bubble that was bound to burst."

L.D. droned on, but Jack stopped listening. Knew only too well what he meant.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 09:58:46 am by August7th »

Offline August7th

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2927 on: September 29, 2008, 08:54:18 pm »
In response to prompts: common sense; common courtesy; common practice.

It was common practice for her to make the offer. When someone visits your home, it's merely common courtesy to ask. But he declined the cherry cake, and she had common sense enough not to push the matter. It had been months since she herself had felt much like eating.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2928 on: September 29, 2008, 10:06:37 pm »
Hello --  I'm new to this forum and new to writing drabbles, but I've really enjoyed reading what has been posted and thought I'd try my hand at it.

Welcome to Bettermost and to the Drabblefes, August7th - it's great to have you here!  :)

...L.D. droned on, but Jack stopped listening. Knew only too well what he meant.

What a great use of the prompts - and a terrific drabble.  So sad and true.

It was common practice for her to make the offer. When someone visits your home, it's merely common courtesy to ask. But he declined the cherry cake, and she had common sense enough not to push the matter. It had been months since she herself had felt much like eating.

Another beautifully poignant drabble, August7th; you sure said a lot with a few well chosen words.  Thanks for sharing and hope to see more from you!

Marie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2929 on: October 02, 2008, 01:30:59 pm »
Okay, I've been asking myself "Why?" a lot today, so....

• yokel
  • yucca
  • yelp

Marie