Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1199490 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #3020 on: April 06, 2009, 09:39:10 pm »
Jitters

Using both hands, Jack yanked the patchwork quilt off the four-poster bed, exposing a sleeping Ennis to the chilly air. 
“Wake up Cowboy!” he gleefully exclaimed, “It’s your wedding day!”
“Hunh?” grumbled Ennis, as he rolled over and tried to steal the covers back. 
Jack held the quilt in outstretched arms and knelt on the bed, enveloping Ennis in his arms with the still warm quilt between them. 
Ennis could not remember the last time that Jack woke up before him.  “Actually, it’s called a ‘Civil Union,’ Rodeo,” groggily remembering why they had decided to spend a week in Vermont. 

The delicious smells of breakfast wafted from the kitchen below into the open bedroom window.  Bacon, eggs, freshly baked croissants, steaming coffee…  Ennis tried to identify what the innkeeper would serve in the dining room downstairs.  Last night, when Ennis and Jack checked in, the kindly older feminist who had made her living running the Bed and Breakfast alone in the rural vacation spot promised to help with whatever they needed for their ceremony.  The Justice of the Peace would be arriving shortly after breakfast, and Jack was in a hurry to get downstairs to make sure everything was ready. 

“Let’s get a move on, Ennis,” said Jack, slapping Ennis’s naked rump with a loving open palm.  Ennis grabbed Jack’s hand and drew it to the bump under the quilt, closed his eyes, and moaned softly.  Jack leaned closer and kissed Ennis quickly on the lips, for once in his life not wanting to stir up any passion on this nervous morning.  He slowly took his hand away and instead gently held Ennis’s head in his hands, his fingers entwined in the sandy hair.  “Ennis Del Mar, let’s get ourselves downstairs.  There will be plenty of time for that later!”

100 - 100 - 100

Lovely, Gwyllion!  I've always wished it could be this way with our boys!  If only things had been different...

Offline gwyllion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Backpacker
    • My fanfiction on AO3
« Reply #3021 on: April 07, 2009, 11:12:21 am »
Thanks so much Littlewing!  I have recently become obsessed with the boys and feel urgently compelled to write about them. 

I admired your writing in the "Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition" all day yesterday.  I'm only on page 35 of the post and have it so noted on a Post-it note on my desk so I can pick up where I left off later today.  If only I didn't have to work!  Your writing is simply beautiful.

Here are some silly Drabble prompts that crossed my mind last night if anyone would like to give it a try! 

* tweezers

* libido

* driveway

Have fun!
A companion where none had been expected...

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3022 on: April 07, 2009, 08:32:18 pm »
Yay!  This is as fun as I thought it would be!

Defiance

The decision to defy Aguirre and spend the night in the tender's camp away from the woolies was anything but spontaneous.  The looks Jack gave him with those deep blue eyes... that smile... it had been leading up to this for more than a week. 

Rules?  Protocol? 

Sheep be damned!

-50-

Glad you're having fun, Gwyllion.  Thanks for sharing another great drabble and for the prompts. :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3023 on: April 07, 2009, 08:35:51 pm »
In the Shadows

Jack undressed quietly and paused to peer through the bedroom window, the moonlight casting shadows on the driveway as the trees rustled in the wind.  How many times had he looked down from his bedroom window as a child as that same moon cast shadows on the dirt drive leading to that gravel road stretching south. 

He was a thousand miles south of Lightning Flat now, but as he climbed into bed next to his sleeping wife, he knew he hadn't traveled so very far after all.  Still crazy to be somewhere else.  Still living in the shadows of life. 

~~~~~~~~
100 Words
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3024 on: April 07, 2009, 10:25:27 pm »
Welcome, Gwyllion! Such heartfelt drabbles. :D

And, Marie, lovely drabbles as always.

Thanks!

Fern
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline gwyllion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Backpacker
    • My fanfiction on AO3
« Reply #3025 on: April 08, 2009, 09:24:48 am »
Hi fernly!  Aaaahh mariez, such a sad and lonely Jack :(.  It's nice how the tension builds because we know where he is crazy to be  ;).

Offline gwyllion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Backpacker
    • My fanfiction on AO3
« Reply #3026 on: April 08, 2009, 03:56:29 pm »
Here mariez, I hope you don't mind,but I was feeling creative and bored with work today, so I added to yours.  Maybe we can find a third contributor?  Fern?  Anyone?
In the Shadows

Jack undressed quietly and paused to peer through the bedroom window, the moonlight casting shadows on the driveway as the trees rustled in the wind.  How many times had he looked down from his bedroom window as a child as that same moon cast shadows on the dirt drive leading to that gravel road stretching south. 

He was a thousand miles south of Lightning Flat now, but as he climbed into bed next to his sleeping wife, he knew he hadn't traveled so very far after all.  Still crazy to be somewhere else.  Still living in the shadows of life. 

~~~~~~~~
100 Words

He tried to relax, listening to Lureen’s soft breath on the pillow beside him, but the familiar pang of emptiness stabbed his heart.  If anything, it was he who was nothing… he who was nowhere.

A tear silently fell.  In the shadows of his marital bed, he resolved that he would somehow convince Ennis to change his mind.  Like tweezers picking at a thin shard of splinter that had festered and inflamed the surrounding delicate skin, it would hurt at first, but Jack hoped the ensuing relief and healing would be worth the pain of the initial digs and probes. 
~~~~~~~~
100 Words

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3027 on: April 08, 2009, 07:43:51 pm »
Here mariez, I hope you don't mind,but I was feeling creative and bored with work today, so I added to yours.  Maybe we can find a third contributor?  Fern?  Anyone?
He tried to relax, listening to Lureen’s soft breath on the pillow beside him, but the familiar pang of emptiness stabbed his heart.  If anything, it was he who was nothing… he who was nowhere.

A tear silently fell.  In the shadows of his marital bed, he resolved that he would somehow convince Ennis to change his mind.  Like tweezers picking at a thin shard of splinter that had festered and inflamed the surrounding delicate skin, it would hurt at first, but Jack hoped the ensuing relief and healing would be worth the pain of the initial digs and probes. 
~~~~~~~~
100 Words

Hi Gwyllion - no I don't mind at all.  In fact, I think it's a cool idea!   And I really like how you brought some "hope" along with your beautifully written addition.  And you used all three of the prompts - way to go.  If I find some time, I may add on myself! Thanks!  :)

Marie

Offline gwyllion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Backpacker
    • My fanfiction on AO3
« Reply #3028 on: April 09, 2009, 11:21:09 am »
Hope, indeed.  Thanks mariez.  I am still devastated by the story's conclusion.  There has to be hope... 

Hey, I didn't use "libido."  Now, there's a lovely hope-filled word!

Help!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #3029 on: April 10, 2009, 01:38:51 am »
Thanks so much Littlewing!  I have recently become obsessed with the boys and feel urgently compelled to write about them. 

I admired your writing in the "Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition" all day yesterday.  I'm only on page 35 of the post and have it so noted on a Post-it note on my desk so I can pick up where I left off later today.  If only I didn't have to work!  Your writing is simply beautiful.

Here are some silly Drabble prompts that crossed my mind last night if anyone would like to give it a try! 

* tweezers

* libido

* driveway

Have fun!

Thanks for your kind words, Sweetness!  I really appreciate it!  :-*