Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178205 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #320 on: February 21, 2007, 05:17:42 pm »
Oh my God, C* you wrote in my universe...that was so sweet...and see, they can have a happy ending!

P.S., Jack suggest this one to Ennis...the one where the cute guy is a knight and does that really sexy dance....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #321 on: February 21, 2007, 05:39:43 pm »
Oh my God, C* you wrote in my universe...that was so sweet...and see, they can have a happy ending!

P.S., Jack suggest this one to Ennis...the one where the cute guy is a knight and does that really sexy dance....

L

Leslie !!!    lol   
I was watching the clock, wondering how long it might be before you noticed mine.  lol  Didn't take you long at all.   ;)

I finally figured something out this past week...although I can't write in 'AU,'  I CAN drabble in AU!!!    :D   
OMG, I feel so good giving them a happy ending...even if it's only 339 words.  
(I knew you wouldn't mind if I borrowed your universe to experiment with AU.)   ;)    lol 

Oh, and to address your movie idea...Jack did try to suggest that particular movie the last time...and Ennis just complained that the dude was lame for riding his horse into the church like that.   ;)   lol   
(I'm assuming all my movie references were as obvious
as I was trying to make them.   ;)    )   hehehe

Love ya, sweetie.

C*   
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #322 on: February 21, 2007, 06:30:28 pm »
December 1977
Don Wroe's Cabin
Late at night, a bit too much whisky shared.

They laid on the bed, fullfilled with each other's warmth. Ennis content and drowsy, but Jack had other things on his mind.

"Ennis?"

"Hm?"

"Where are the tangerines you brought?"

"You hungry?"

"Nope. Wanna show you something."

"Kitchen table."

A minute later, a stark-naked Jack Twist stood in front of the bed, throwing three tangerines up into the air, one after the other, juggling.

"Didn't know you can juggle."

Jack, frowning with concentration, his tongue automatically running between his lips, didn't say anything. He struggled, almost let one fall, balanced to catch it, followed by a nimble sidestepp to get hold of the next one.

"You know bud, too bad you don't have three balls. The way they bounce and gambol you could juggle with 'em too."

Two tangerines landed on the floor but Jack managed to keep at least one in his hand when he burst out laughing and collapsed on the bed.

"I spent two months practicing with Bobby for his school play, and all you can do is stare at my nuts instead of admiring my unbelievable compentency."

"Oh, I did. I admired your unbelievable...." Ennis let the sentence hang and grabbed what had caught his attention.

215 words

very funny,,,lol,,,juggling his balls

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #323 on: February 21, 2007, 06:43:21 pm »
Movie Night     (339 Words)

Wednesday, July 5, 2006  7:00 p.m.

Quanah, Texas 

“My turn to pick a movie, cowboy.”

“How you figure that?  You picked the last three…and they was ALL bad.” 

“But En, you keep pickin out weird shit.”

“Me???  Let’s do a run down of the last three you picked out.  1) Dude goes apeshit crazy cuz four of his friends send him white feathers…”

“En, you missed the whole point…it was about redemption.”   

“harrumph.”   

2) “Then you made me sit through one big fucked up fairy tale...”

“It had a happy ending.”

“hhhmmm…thought it was rather grim myself.”   

“And 3)…and this one took the cake….and the pie…and all the cookies too.”  Ennis grimaced.   “This guy was supposed to be the world’s greatest lover, but couldn’t even dress himself…and his wig was always crooked.” 

“Part a his appeal,” Jack countered.  “You ‘bout done?”

“Maybe.” 

“You got somethin picked out?”

Ennis reached for his standby.

“NO! No, En!  We aint gonna watch that again.  You just wanna watch that boy’s ass when he’s dancin around with that damn hat hanging off his dick.”

“Best part…” Ennis mumbled, his back to Jack.

Jack ignored Ennis, pulling his choice out of the rack.

“Why you wanna watch this one again, huh?” Ennis sighed.  “The cute one dies.” 

“No he don’t,” Jack leaned his head on Ennis’ back. “The cute one ends up alone in that damn trailer.” 

“He aint the cute one, dumbass.”

“Is to me.”   

“hhhmmm”

“Please, En…this movie haunts me.  These boys are under my skin…”

Ennis sighed. 

Jack knew he’d won yet again, as he turned to hide his grin, but not before Ennis saw it, giving his ass a good smack.

“Least they coulda done was show a better view of the cute one’s ass, when he was washing up the clothes.”

Jack chuckled.

Ennis moved up behind Jack.   

“Gonna hold you real close now while we watch this,” Ennis whispered, wrapping Jack tightly in his arms.  “Aint never gonna let you go…”

“Promise, cowboy?”

“Cross my heart, Rodeo.”   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

339 words  (Sorry, I went a little long)   ;) 

Oh my god i loved this,,,it is one of the bestll...i love all of
them,,but this was so great an idea,,,to put them inside their own
life,,,using the parts they played genius, of an idea...girl.  janice
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 06:48:40 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #324 on: February 21, 2007, 06:50:33 pm »
"Oh my god i loved this,,,it is one of the best!...i love all of
them,,but this was so great an idea,,,to put them inside their own
life,,,using the parts they played genius of an idea...girl.  janice
"

Janice,

Thank you so much, sweetie!   :)
So glad you liked it, but I really must give credit where due.
I got the idea from Leslie's beautiful writing...wouldn't have even
thought of it without her wonderful Quanah boys.    ;)
They just make me grin all day.   :D

C* 
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #325 on: February 21, 2007, 08:26:41 pm »
Inspiring prompts today! 

Leslie, you know we can't ever get enough of your J&E - and especially that part of the epilogue!

"You know bud, too bad you don't have three balls. The way they bounce and gambol you could juggle with 'em too."

Two tangerines landed on the floor but Jack managed to keep at least one in his hand when he burst out laughing and collapsed on the bed.

215 words

I burst out laughing right along with Jack - now that's funny!   :laugh: :laugh:

March 15th 2006

Jenny leaned forward reached her arms around her father hugging him.

"I love you daddy"

What a great idea and so touching - I always love to see Ennis with his girls.  Thanks for favoring us with two today!

Movie Night     (339 Words)

“And 3)…and this one took the cake….and the pie…and all the cookies too.”  Ennis grimaced.   “This guy was supposed to be the world’s greatest lover, but couldn’t even dress himself…and his wig was always crooked.” 

Your usual brilliance, C* - so clever - this line especially cracked me up!   :laugh: 

Thanks!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #326 on: February 21, 2007, 10:42:47 pm »
     Just a little note to all the drabblers, and all the drabble followers.  I am so thankful for all of the participation everyone
has been showing here., June, Marie an Dev, Fabienne and      everyone that gives us the kudos.. Then all the lovely Drabblers, Leslie  for starting the thread in the first place.  Scott for getting me to try..  Lucise, and Chrissy, El Wing fernly, and
Coffee Cat and Beatrice. Along with Penthelsilia. Mark, and,
     Helen, for telling us how to recognize one. Natalie, and all, a the rest..if im leaving anyone out,,just come and kick me.
     This has been such a fun and rewarding experience.  I cant
believe all the talented and funny people there are in this world.
 THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU,, from the bottom of my
heart.  this came along at just the right time for me...when i
truly needed something to think about that brought me joy..
You guys have brought me joy....                 janice
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 11:34:51 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #327 on: February 22, 2007, 07:43:17 am »
Thank you for that tribute, Janice...but please, don't let anyone think the drabblefest is about to end! We have millions of words to go, I am sure!

For today, give have fun with these prompts:

• credit card
  • bananas
  • "a fish out of water"

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #328 on: February 22, 2007, 09:38:41 am »
I went over on the words...please forgive me!

Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
November 1976

Jack slit the envelope open with a knife. He pulled out the sheaf of papers, then peeled the plastic card off, the adhesive sticky on the back. “There ya go, cowboy,” he said, handing the card to Ennis. “Yer very own MasterCharge.”

Ennis ran his fingers over the embossed letters and numbers on the card, looking at the overlapping circles of orange and yellow emblazoned on the front. “I ain’t ever had a credit card before,” he said softly.

“I kinda figgered that. Ya didn’t have a bank account before ya came here either.”

“Not sure I need a credit card,” said Ennis, holding it at arm’s length as if it was a dangerous insect. “What’s wrong with payin’ cash?”

“Nothin’s wrong with payin’ cash, and ya still can. But sometimes, y’know, if ya don’t have enough money in yer wallet or yer payin’ for a hotel, it’s nice ta have a credit card. In fact, ya hafta have one to rent a car.”

“And why would I be needin’ ta rent a car? We got two perfectly good trucks out there.”

“One perfectly good truck. Yers is a bit of a rust bucket, if I ya ask me…”

“Don’t you go dissin’ my truck…”

“Just sayin’. Now, sign the card on the back and put it in yer wallet.”

Ennis looked at the card suspiciously, even as he signed his name and put it away. “Don’t want ta go inta debt.”

“Ennis!” said Jack, exasperated. “The card ain’t gonna put ya in debt. Usin’ it irresponsibly will…and since it don’t sound like yer gonna be usin’ it, I guess you ain’t gonna go in debt now, are ya?”

“If I ain’t gonna use it, then why do I need it?”

“Because ya might need ta rent a car.”

“And why would I need ta rent a car?”

“”Cause yer truck might break down.”

“You won’t give me a ride?”

“Only if ya ask nice.”

“Pretty please?” said Ennis, with a wink.

Jack smiled, then pulled Ennis close, grabbing his belt loops. “Ya know I can never say no to you, cowboy,” he said, leaning in for a kiss. “Sure, I’ll give ya a ride.”

(370 words)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 01:29:58 pm by MaineWriter »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #329 on: February 22, 2007, 12:57:14 pm »
I am new at all this, well, here goes.

A Trip

June 1976

Ennis and Jack decided to take a trip to NYC.  They were going to go on one of their fishing trips.  That’s what they told Alma and Lureen. But just before they were going to head up the mountain, they heard on the radio, something about something called discos in New York, and Jack got this idea.  “We gotta go see this sometime.”

So they drove to the airport, and Jack just pulled out a wad of bills to pay for the tickets.  They got off the plane, and in a cab.  The cab driver took one look at them and said, “You’re going to the village?"

Jack said sure, but he didn’t know what this village was in the middle of NYC.

Ennis just stared and stared.

They got to this place called the village.  They went to a restaurant and Jack paid with his credit card.  Then they walked around.  They could not believe what they saw, kids with these weird haircuts, ladies in real short skirts and real high heels, all these guys in real tight pants.  Jack just stared, Ennis pretended not to.

“Hey Jack, I don’t know about this place here”  Ennis said.

Jack said “Me neither”.

Just then they walked by a bar, it was called the Cowboy Bar. 

“Hey, why don’t we get us a drink” Ennis said, nervous and scared.

They went into the bar. 

Jack whispered to Ennis “How come there ain’t no ladies here?”

Before Ennis could reply a tall handsome man stood before him, “Can I buy you a drink cowboy? 
“Sure” he replied, too nervous to say no.

He looked for Jack.  Jack was standing there, with three guys around him, all offering to buy him drinks.

Ennis's and Jack's eyes met.  Should they go or should they stay?.  A big blond guy touched Ennis’s shoulder, “Your acting like a fish out of water” he said.

Ennis didn’t say anything. But Jack heard the remark, and thought, ‘I hope I ain’t.”

(337 words)