Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178256 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #360 on: February 24, 2007, 01:57:29 pm »

Its Frday morning, the air is still.  Its always hot and humid, in Childress
Texas in August.  Jack is loading the truck.. He is thinking of the trip to
Pine Creek Wyoming.  The sky is starting to turn those lighter colors of pink and
beige.  You can already feel the heat of the day approaching.
     He grabs Bobbys backpack off the front seat of the truck..Carries it into
the house, as he goes to get the last load of gear for the trip.. Lureen is
sure right about his losin stuff.  He never does keep track of his things..This
pack has been in here for four days, since I picked him up at school on Monday.
     Jack drops the pack in by the table near the front door.  Then walks on
into the house, and to the bedroom where Lureen is just getting up.  She asks
"What time are you leaving, honey?"
     "I'm all ready now."  "Put Bobby's pack by the front door.."
     He leans over for a light peck on the cheek, saying "See ya week from
Sunday."  She has a look of resigned accceptance and dignified grace.  Her
hair laying around her shoulders, and even after a nights sleep still looking
neat and remarkably kept...He never could understand how she looks so
put together in the morning.  She must have been born with a hairdresser in the womb...   "See ya", he says over the shoulder, as he leaves the house,
now the butterflies in his stomach can start to fly loose..  He walks out the
front door to the truck, opens the door, and climbs in..."Ahhh the smell of
pine, and Ennis, is only 14 hours away....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 02:23:15 pm by MaineWriter »

Beautiful mind

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #361 on: February 24, 2007, 02:20:16 pm »
Camp Nokomis
Bear Island, NH
July 31, 2006

Dear Grandpa and Poppa,

Greetings from camp! I am having a good time but I miss you and the Lazy L. Thank you again for a very nice visit. I had a lot of fun.

We have a tradition here at camp, it is called the pinecone ceremony. During the day, you need to go around camp and collect the number of pinecones for the number of summers you have been here. For me, it is five this year. Then at campfire on Friday night, each person gets up and throws in their pinecones. They start with the ones, then the twos, and so on. The director has been here forever, so she threw in 56!

I was thinking, it would have been nice to have a pinecone ceremony at your party…30 pinecones for you, 16 for my mom and dad. Then I remembered that there aren’t any pinecones in Texas!

Anyway, it was fun thinking of you. I can’t wait to see you again.

Love,

Chrissie

(175 words)

Leslie, 

The opening of this one brought a big smile to my face.  I can't remember what chapter it was, but I love the scene you wrote where Jack leans over to Ennis and whispers,

"Which one am I again?"  And Ennis responds, "You're Poppa, I'm grandpa...it's the opposite of Bobby's kids."      lol   

I remember reading that...months ago, I think...and thinking it was the sweetest thing ever.  I can picture them on their front porch, trying to remember which one they are for which grandkids.   lol   So precious.  :)
Sorry, not a drabble.     Just an   "aaaahhhhh."      :D

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #362 on: February 24, 2007, 03:50:49 pm »
The Beauty Parlor

Cassie was at the beauty parlor getting her hair done. She had her hair rolled up in big pink rollers and she was sitting under the dryer.

She was going out with Ennis tonight, she wanted to go the new place they opened, where people danced and they had a great big bull ride, right in the middle of the place.  But, of course Ennis didn’t want to go to any fancy new place.

“Hey Alma, how are ya” said Tracy at the cash register.
“How ya doin girl, how’s Monroe and that baby?”

“Oh just fine” said Alma, sounding as though it hurt for her to talk and be friendly to people.

Cassie grabbed a magazine from the table and held it in front of her face.  Damn, she thought. Not here.

Alma wore jeans that were way too tight, and a big red tee shirt. She still didn’t
lose the weight that she gained when she was pregnant.

“Hi Cassie,” Alma said, as cold and unfriendly as usual, as she sat down in the chair by the sink to wait for her hair to be washed.

Cassie didn’t say anything.

“How’s Ennis?” Alma asked.

“Oh, great" said Cassie, not looking up.

Alma took something out of her purse which looked like a small red backpack.  It was a paperback book.  Cassie couldn’t really make out the title cause Alma’s hand was over it, but it looked like   se Range.

“Hey Alma, we ready for you”, the girl called.

Alma put the book down on the table with all the magazines.  Cassie hurried to pick it up.  She wanted to see if preachy Alma read books with dirty parts, and she wasn’t going to tell Alma she forgot the book, let her come back and get it, she thought.

There was an old electric company envelope stuck in the book.  It was near the end.  Cassie opened to that page.  Something about someplace called Brokeback Mountain.

Cassie began to read.

(336 words)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 04:48:14 pm by marlb42 »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #363 on: February 24, 2007, 11:31:40 pm »
Busy day - but I had to get my drabble fix!

Quote from: haunted_by_bbm link=topic=7810.msg159680#msg159680

[i
Edited to add:  "Whoo hee...I just hit fifty posts."   :D[/i]

Way to go with the posts, C!  Glad you appreciate my, err, humor - Fabienne once mentioned that we should have a "groaning" smiley - and we should - for all my corny jokes!  LOL!!!

Since dribbling is allowed ..  :P

“You know I can’t think when ya .. do that ..” Jack let out a soft moan, “How d’ya expect me to think of Africa when .. yer.. doing .. that..?”  Jack’s eyes rolled back as Ennis began pleasuring him, his breathing heavier ..

“I reckon Africa .. can .. wait .. huh?” Ennis mumbled, kissing Jack hungrily on the lips, his heart pounding harder with the feel of Jack’s tongue against his .. exploring, caressing ..

~ 193 words

[/color]

Ooh, that was hot and lovely - glad that our boys can't get enough of each other, cause we sure can't get enough of them.

Camp Nokomis
Bear Island, NH
July 31, 2006

Dear Grandpa and Poppa,

.    .   . 

I was thinking, it would have been nice to have a pinecone ceremony at your party…30 pinecones for you, 16 for my mom and dad. Then I remembered that there aren’t any pinecones in Texas!

Anyway, it was fun thinking of you. I can’t wait to see you again.

Love,

Chrissie

(175 words)

Aww, Leslie, you know I just love the letters your characters write - look at the family Jack & Ennis have created!   :)

.  .   . Ahhh the smell of pine, and Ennis, is only 14 hours away....

Ahh - sweet anticipation - really nice, Janice!

The Beauty Parlor

There was an old electric company envelope stuck in the book.  It was near the end.  Cassie opened to that page.  Something about someplace called Brokeback Mountain.

Cassie began to read.

Wow, Marleen - that was great!  Hope there's a Part 2!

Thanks, all
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #364 on: February 25, 2007, 08:41:58 am »
Good morning all,

Today's prompts were suggested by Beatrice, in chat yesterday:

• hands
  • purple
  • summer

Have fun!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #365 on: February 25, 2007, 10:24:33 am »
wasn't meant to be a drabble, wrote this yesterday for part of chp. 7, clicked on this thread this morning to read the lastest fine drabbles, and there they were, 3 outa 3 prompts...

The early evening air was still sharp-edged with summer heat.
        Jack lifted a hand to knock on the door, but Lureen stopped him, “You’re family now, Jack,” and turned the knob. Jack took off his hat, set foot onto the pale green tiles of a room that seemed to have no purpose except to give the front door space to swing open. The sudden switch to the cold air of the house made Jack shiver. He’d been in a few stores before that had air-conditioning, but this was the first house he’d ever walked into that felt close on to a refrigerator.
        “I expect they’re in the family room,” said Lureen. “It’s time for one of their shows.” LD and Fayette were there, at opposite ends of a sofa that was a shade of purple Jack had never seen on furniture before. They looked up smiling at their daughter, saw Jack.
        “How was Galve...” Fayette’s automatic question died away.
        LD took a little longer to catch on. “Hey, lil’ girl, you’re home...”
        “Daddy, Momma,” Lureen closed her eyes just for a second, opened them, smiled brilliantly, “Daddy, Momma, Jack and me, we’re married.”
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Beatrice

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #366 on: February 25, 2007, 10:29:46 am »
Here's two of the three...

Whisper

Humidity sat wet washcloth heavy, twirling up the tiny hairs on his neck. The late arriving twilight glazed the featureless land, a purple playground for bugs to buzz and bother about his face. Texas dirt under his boots, stubborn and strict, jarred his rodeo earnings with each step.

Knew he should go back inside, enjoy the comforts of his compromise.

Didn’t though. Just kept walking.

Even the emotionless call of “Dinner, Jack.” went by without a resigned response.

Something he was waiting for.

There it is.

A rare, sweet August breeze carried his whisper north.

“See you in November, Ennis.”

"He was the refuge of my spirit, the sweet solace of my griefs...what more is there, then can I say? Was it not a foretaste of blessedness thus to love, and thus to be loved?" St. Aelred, from his eulogy for his lover, Simon.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #367 on: February 25, 2007, 11:12:25 am »
Didn’t though. Just kept walking.

Even the emotionless call of “Dinner, Jack.” went by without a resigned response.

Something he was waiting for.

There it is.

A rare, sweet August breeze carried his whisper north.

“See you in November, Ennis.”

Beautiful. Poetic. Sad.

Oh my...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #368 on: February 25, 2007, 11:18:51 am »
wasn't meant to be a drabble, wrote this yesterday for part of chp. 7, clicked on this thread this morning to read the lastest fine drabbles, and there they were, 3 outa 3 prompts...

:) What a cool coincidence  8)

“Daddy, Momma,” Lureen closed her eyes just for a second, opened them, smiled brilliantly, “Daddy, Momma, Jack and me, we’re married.”

Also it wasn't planned this way, it works fine as a drabble.
He, he I would pay to see LD's an Fayette's faces. I can picture LD's blood pressure boiling up  ;D.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #369 on: February 25, 2007, 11:48:42 am »
Okay Marie, here it is...

The Beauty Parlor (Part 2)

Cassie just sat there reading, this story about Brokeback Mountain.  She forgot all about her hair, with the rollers under the dryer.  She was lost in the magical summer, the tale of the two young guys, up on the mountain.

‘Just what a the chances that there is another Ennis?’ she thought to herself..

Suddenly she was pulled out of her reverie.

“Hey Cassie, I want my book back” Alma said, her hair wet, coffee and cigarette in her hands, and freshly painted purple fingernails.

‘Why the hell did she get that color’ Cassie thought ‘looks ridiculous.’

“Cassie, can I have my book back” Alma said louder this time.

Cassie gave it to her, Alma turned around with a loud umph and then she went and sat down in the haircutting chair.

Cassie just sat there, her hair now dry and almost frying, and her thoughts returned to Ennis and Jack

’How is there another Ennis?’ she pondered to herself, not yet understanding what she should understand.

(172)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 12:38:36 pm by marlb42 »