Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178114 times)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2007, 05:54:11 pm »

Definitely my favorite use of "purple." LOL!!!  Ennis is branding his man.  And thanks for the exact date and time - I need to know these things. LOL!!

Thanks again,
Marie

Always happy to oblige with the specifics.   ;)
Love ya, sweetie.

C*
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #381 on: February 25, 2007, 07:48:29 pm »
Aww..cheers for the comments ladies!
Glad you liked the drabble ..  :-*

~M

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #382 on: February 26, 2007, 04:05:31 am »
     Ennis is sitting on the grass, at the crest above, where Jack is finishing
the rigging on his horse.  It is nearly time to head on out down the hill.  Neither wants, to leave.  It is very obvious.  But neither one is saying it out
loud..  Ennis is looking at a small cluster of purple on the down slope of the
hill..It is just peeking from the grass that surrounds it...Ennis thinks to himself,
I will never in my life like the color purple.  It always signifies the departure, and leaving, of something I need.. Something I need but can"t have.
     They placed a small bouquet of violets in my mama's hands.  As she lay
in that pine box, after she died..  My daddy was laying next to her, but he
held no flowers in his hands.  Janelle placed a small prayer book there.
     Ennis knew in his mind even as a young boy.  She could no longer see
the beauty that she held.  His father could no longer read the prayers, held
within. 
     After this day he would no longer behold, that in the world, he
had come to hold most dear..  Ennis looked again to the lupins growing alone and bright. 
  Jack grabs his lasso, and begins up the slope, saying "time to get
goin cowboy."  He steps on the small bunch of purple and it smashes into the green grass.  Ennis repeats to himself, as he tucks his shirt down into the
back of his jeans.  "I hate purple, and I hate summer, and I hate" .......THUNK
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:16:55 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #383 on: February 26, 2007, 07:19:53 am »
Good morning drabblers,

Let's follow the theme from yesterday:

• feet
  • autumn, fall
  • brown

Have fun!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Beatrice

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #384 on: February 26, 2007, 08:14:12 am »
Used only one this time...

Ennis didn’t want company. Not in the mind t' talk t' anyone else. Besides, he couldn’t eat no cherry cake right now.

Weeds put up a hell of a fight, loosin' in the end, roots n' all. He pushed aside leaves n' twigs abandoned when the wind was done foolin’, carin' for this speck on the broken landscape. Had t' make this place proper, make it fittin', make it right.

Sky was spinnin' out ribbons, color splashin' proud against the comin' night. He sat down t' watch, Autumn settlin' in beside him.

Favorite time a his week.

“Miss you, friend.”

B
"He was the refuge of my spirit, the sweet solace of my griefs...what more is there, then can I say? Was it not a foretaste of blessedness thus to love, and thus to be loved?" St. Aelred, from his eulogy for his lover, Simon.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #385 on: February 26, 2007, 02:01:31 pm »

.  .  .I will never in my life like the color purple.  It always signifies the departure, and leaving, of something I need.. Something I need but can"t have.
.  . .

. .  Jack grabs his lasso,  .   .  .

Janice, the beginning was sooo sad - but then, the end!  Yee Haw! Great contrast.

Used only one this time...

Ennis didn’t want company. Not in the mind t' talk t' anyone else. Besides, he couldn’t eat no cherry cake right now.

Weeds put up a hell of a fight, loosin' in the end, roots n' all. He pushed aside leaves n' twigs abandoned when the wind was done foolin’, carin' for this speck on the broken landscape. Had t' make this place proper, make it fittin', make it right.

Sky was spinnin' out ribbons, color splashin' proud against the comin' night. He sat down t' watch, Autumn settlin' in beside him.

Favorite time a his week.

“Miss you, friend.”

B

What an image you've created, B! So stark (loved "speck on the broken landscape"), but yet so beautiful with the sky, the ribbons, the color - and Ennis.

Thanks,
Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #386 on: February 26, 2007, 02:50:35 pm »
I smiled when I came here this morning and saw today's words included "autumn/fall/brown" because yesterday I made a J&E fanpic with that theme .. (I called it Falling Leaves) ..

Falling leaves ..

Autumn leaves we are
Falling, twirling
Dancing in the air;
Barren trees remain
Giant skeletons in our wake.

Down to earth we return
Exhausted from the fall
No branch for support;
Yet upon this mossy bed
We find rest.
Leaves overlap
We are not alone.

Vibrant colours
Orange, reds, browns we are;
Beads of dew rest upon the golden skins
Awesome glitters in the morning sun
Shining with pride
Majestic after the fall.

We rest in wait
Of the first flakes
That spell change -
A new season,
Winter's upon us..

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #387 on: February 26, 2007, 06:52:34 pm »
I smiled when I came here this morning and saw today's words included "autumn/fall/brown" because yesterday I made a J&E fanpic with that theme .. (I called it Falling Leaves) ..

Falling leaves ..

.   .    .
Down to earth we return
Exhausted from the fall
No branch for support;
Yet upon this mossy bed
We find rest.
Leaves overlap
We are not alone.
.   .   .
Whoa - there's been a psychic connection with drabblefest two days running (fernly had one yesterday)!  LOL!!  I can't decide which is more beautiful, Lucise, your drabble or your pic!  Let's call it a tie - both gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #388 on: February 26, 2007, 07:19:05 pm »
A Strange Morning

Ennis just stood staring at his feet.  It felt like that fall a couple of years ago.  He hated it when they had a fight.  He felt the pain in his gut, twisting and pulling deep down inside him. 

He barely even knew what this was about. He said something, something about that night in the bar.  As he told the story, Jack got quieter and quieter, and then Jack barely said anything at all.

Ennis kept asking him, “you alright?”, it was not like Jack at all to get so quiet.  Finally that morning he just drove away, said “see ya”, and the truck rolled away.

Ennis had no idea what it was all about.  Just told Jack of that night, in the bar, but he didn’t understand what just had happened.  He was standing there staring at his feet, he didn’t even hear the truck.

Suddenly there was a hand around his waist.

“Friend, I just ain’t going to leave like that time, ain’t going to be like that again.”

Ennis felt Jack’s warm breath on his neck, felt the other hand, going lower, where he liked it so.

It didn’t matter that the leaves were brown, sure wasn’t going to be like that other autumn, not this time.

(217 words)

Trying something different today

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #389 on: February 26, 2007, 07:46:51 pm »
                                     Need
    Ennis is putting one foot in front of the other.  That is all he can do.  It has been a month since the postcard came. " Deceased;" in big red stamp.
It was to have been their time.. ?  The 7th of Nov.  They were supposed to
meet up at Pine Creek.  The cold icy winds of fall,  the beautiful color  The
quickening towards the winter snow. " It was his, favorite time, of the year. Used to be."  Now it was only want and yearning he felt. " The soul and heart
dying, time of loss and devastation." " The black and blue of his mind and the
sheer feeling of lead within. . What now Jack, what now?  I dont have a place to go.  I dont have a person to go to.  I dont have a want, except for
you."  " I only have the lost times we will never share.  I only have the love
I will always feel.  I only need to feel, YOU, here, just.  Need YOU
Bud."

160w
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:00:06 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind