Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178216 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 11:54:03 pm »
Jeff, I hope you'll consider penning a few words for the drabblefest!

Hugs,
L

Very kind of you, Sweetie--and you, too, Fern--but don't be holdin' your breath.  :-\

I'll admit that this evening I've looked at some stuff that I've written, part of a story that may or may not ever be completed and posted, but it's already too long for a drabble, even if it got broken up into a couple of drabbles.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2007, 12:21:44 am »
Very kind of you, Sweetie--and you, too, Fern--but don't be holdin' your breath.  :-\

I'll admit that this evening I've looked at some stuff that I've written, part of a story that may or may not ever be completed and posted, but it's already too long for a drabble, even if it got broken up into a couple of drabbles.  :-\

So write a new one darlin! The idea is to be spontaneous, in response to a prompt. I know you are creative....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2007, 06:35:35 am »
I am loving the creativity that is happening here! Janice, flexing her writing wings for the first time; Natali sharing her story;...Milli, that letter has me in tears! Haunted, love the tea party and I can picture it so well...

This is great, everyone, please keep joining in!

I'll post some more prompts tomorrow.

Leslie

Well, Les what I posted is hardly a story. It's something I began and never finished. After posting it, I've begun to change a few things already but the truth is I can't really do this right now.  :-\
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2007, 07:19:31 am »
For today, take a creative writing turn with the following:

• fire
  • high heeled shoes
  • newspaper or magazine

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2007, 07:55:51 am »
Well, here's something I wrote a long time ago, when I tried to write a fanfiction story. I didn't have the time, plus it is pretty hard for me to write a story in English. But here it is. Be gentle please. I don't even know if it is any good, but what the hell.

At two in the morning a cool strong summer wind came blowing from east, filling the air of the vast lonely plains of Lightning Flat, with a foul-smelling odor of cattle and excrements. Mary Twist, who was lying on her bed with her eyes wide opened, barely noticed it. She was too busy roaming in the labyrinth of her inner thoughts, searching for a pleasant memory that would help her sleep, and would give her the strength she needed to go on living during the morning. Her life had been nothing as she once dreamed, except perhaps for the birth of her only son, Jack, and a daughter who didn’t live enough to receive a name but that she liked to remember as Rose. It was a baby who tried too soon to come into this world. Mary was just six month along when the early birthing pains surprised her and the baby didn’t make it. –There’ll be no crying in my house-, her husband demanded, upon her return from the hospital. And Mary complied knowing that no matter how strong he pretended to be, deep in his heart the lost of the baby pained him too. So, life went on as if nothing happened. Mary managing to cry a little between her chores, always in silent, always making sure her husband wouldn’t catch her. She did it mostly when bathing Jack, who at the age of three liked to wipe out the tears off her face as if it was a game.

At two fifteen, the familiar sound of a vehicle approaching the ranch brought Mary back into the present. She could swear it was Jack, but it seemed too early in the summer for him to be back. Mary was sure Jack’s job was supposed to end by mid September. But the truck kept getting closer and closer, and Mary thought it was time to get up and see who it was. It was Jack. Joyful, Mary put on her robe and slippers, and went downstairs to meet him.

343 words. Sorry.

I loved this, Natali  :) And would love to see more of it whenever you feel you can and are up to it  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2007, 07:57:16 am »

May 13th 1969

My dear Ennis,

Those are words I long to say to your face,
Somehow they flow easier when I put pen to paper.
I been thinking of you alot lately.
But what else is new?

Lureen and I have been at odds again -
Something about me taking off to go fishing that last time.
Sometimes I get so frustrated I wish I could tell her.
Instead, I apologised and bought her a bunch of daffodils.
They are her favorite. 
There is peace for the moment, let's see how long it lasts.
When she gets upset, she goes shopping,
Last time she bought a huge bright yellow sun hat.
Lord knows where she'll wear that thing.
This time, she has her sights set on a 50-piece fine bone china tea set.
I know this because she must've threatened to buy it 100 times by now.

I dreamed of you again last night.
You were doing things to me I dare not write in here.
This hiding is killing me.  I miss you so bad.
I can't imagine waiting 3 more months before I see you next.
I am counting the days.

Yours always,
Jack

-----

May 31st, 1969

Jack,

Thank you for your last letter. 
I am looking forward to some riding and fishing.
We can meet by *Willow Creek on August 15th.
I should get some time off the ranch by then.
I hope this will work for you.

Until then,
Ennis Del Mar

* Willow Creek may or may not exist ..

Lovely, Milli  :-*

Offline Beatrice

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2007, 08:07:53 am »

Coming from Middle Earth, a drabble is 100 words. So, here's my first contribution to this wonderful thread.

B

Breakfast

Coffee was brewing hot and strong, the aroma bending and bowing, dancing lively around the dawn just peeking naughty through the pines. All peeled, sliced and drowned in salt, the spuds sizzled, only a cast iron skillet keeping them from the greedy fire, while two cans of beans – labels curling and withering – sat bubbling. Eggs was in a pan to the side keeping warm and the biscuits company, and elk jerky, not needing the fire’s touch, sat waiting on the banged and dented plates.

Everything was ready.

“Oh…damn, Jack, that feels…so good!”

Breakfast would be starting a little late today.

"He was the refuge of my spirit, the sweet solace of my griefs...what more is there, then can I say? Was it not a foretaste of blessedness thus to love, and thus to be loved?" St. Aelred, from his eulogy for his lover, Simon.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2007, 09:35:19 am »
"No fire" - 
Aguirre said and now he freezes his ass off on the mountain.
Fire  -
warm and cozy, with Ennis sitting across him, drinking, sharing his sad story
Fire  -
dies down, brings Ennis to him
Fire -
of passion, Ennis's and his
Camp fires -
countless
Fire -
BBQ with Lureen, the fire not half as warm as on a cold mountain
Fire -
adding fuel to the fire of short leashes and coffepot travels
Fire -
in a crematory, finally consuming him whole

Word count 79

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2007, 10:07:19 am »
So write a new one darlin! The idea is to be spontaneous, in response to a prompt. I know you are creative....

L

Well, my muse don't work that way. She comes up with her own prompts in her own good time.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 10:42:27 am »
Leslie:

I have a question regarding the prompts: must/should we include all three prompts? Or is it ok to choose just one (like I did with "fire" today) or two?

This was really a great idea Leslie  :-*. I also love all the creativity that's floating around here and I've enjoyed all the stories.

brokeback_dev, Fabienne and June:

Thanks for your feedback to my story (the one with the dog).