Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178130 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #420 on: February 28, 2007, 06:47:11 pm »
The Picture Show

April 1967

Ennis had the pictures in his head.  They were saved up like in a movie, that he could go watch whenever he needed to.  Lately it seemed he needed to go there a lot, with Alma complaining and the girls crying almost all the time.

Now the show that was on was that time when the sky was crimson, and they were riding back after untangling the sheep.  Ennis could still recall that feeling he felt, that feeling that welled up inside, that he couldn’t describe, and never felt before.

“Hey Del Mar, ya comin tonight?”

Ennis was pulled back to the present, the ranch, in the middle of mud season, dragging a wiggling calf between his mud covered feet.

“Comin where?”

“Del Mar, don’t ya hear anythin’, to the new bar, with them girls...”

Ennis didn’t answer, he heard that song on the fella's radio, that group, the Beatles or something.

But Ennis tuned it out, and went back inside his picture show, to the images of Jack, and Jack's singing and the night that followed, that night which was now on the show in his mind.

(192 words)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #421 on: February 28, 2007, 07:32:22 pm »
The Picture Show

April 1967

Ennis had the pictures in his head.  They were saved up like in a movie, that he could go watch whenever he needed to.  Lately it seemed he needed to go there a lot, with Alma complaining and the girls crying almost all the time.

Now the show that was on was that time when the sky was crimson, and they were riding back after untangling the sheep.  Ennis could still recall that feeling he felt, that feeling that welled up inside, that he couldn’t describe, and never felt before.

“Hey Del Mar, ya comin tonight?”

Ennis was pulled back to the present, the ranch, in the middle of mud season, dragging a wiggling calf between his mud covered feet.

“Comin where?”

“Del Mar, don’t ya hear anythin’, to the new bar, with them girls...”

Ennis didn’t answer, he heard that song on the fella's radio, that group, the Beatles or something.

But Ennis tuned it out, and went back inside his picture show, to the images of Jack, and Jack's singing and the night that followed, that night which was now on the show in his mind.

(192 words)

Was it yesterday that I told you your drabble was my favorite of yours so far?  Guess what?  New favorite.  What an irony.  Ennis has to imagine what's real - and live what is a pretense.  Aaarghh . . .  Slap a gold star on your forehead, Marleen!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #422 on: March 01, 2007, 12:13:25 am »
Marie,

Thank you for all the lovely comments. :)

You are the sweetest :)

Marleen

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #423 on: March 01, 2007, 07:58:49 am »
Marie is great, isn't she? Our own drabble cheerleader. I should get her some pom-poms!

For today, give these a whirl:

• corduroy roads
  • corduroy pants or jacket
  • rust

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #424 on: March 01, 2007, 08:37:49 am »
Marie is great, isn't she? Our own drabble cheerleader. I should get her some pom-poms!

Yep, you're right Leslie. I went on and brought some for her.

These are for you Marie, our very own drabble-cheerleader  :). Help yourself!

• corduroy roads
  • corduroy pants or jacket
  • rust

I had to look up what corduroy roads are. And I never heard the German word for it, too  :o. Luckily there was also an explanation  ;D.

Scott6373

« Reply #425 on: March 01, 2007, 08:41:49 am »
Ok since you know, fill me in...what are corduroy roads?  I've never heard of it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #426 on: March 01, 2007, 08:48:26 am »
Ok since you know, fill me in...what are corduroy roads?  I've never heard of it.

He, he, glad not to be the only one... ;)

It's an auxiliary road to be able to pass muddy or swampy terrain. According to wikipedia also called log road.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 08:54:58 am by Penthesilea »

Scott6373

« Reply #427 on: March 01, 2007, 08:50:34 am »

It's an auxiliary road to be able to pass muddy or swampy terrain.

Gracias  ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #428 on: March 01, 2007, 09:08:02 am »
Ok, today I cheated a bit. I wrote this drabble last September. I like Ennis' corduroy jacket (but it plays only an underpart in this drabble). It's so Ennis.

Trailer

Alma stood alone in the trailer. She knew this was gonna be the last time she'd be here. She took her time, taking everything in. The battered furniture, the lack of comfort and the bleakness. This place was breathing sadness and had done nothing else ever.

There was nothing in it which was worth keeping. She'd take her daddy's old corduroy jacket for herself and his hat for Francine as keepsakes, and throw away everything else.

When she opened the closet, she saw the shirts. Two shirts and a postcard. She had seen them a few times before, had never given them any thought. But now she looked closely at them. The way they were hanging at the door, apart from his other clothes, one inside the other, the bloodstains, the picture postcard of a mountain beside them. Alma sensed they were important. But for the life of her she didn't have an idea, why.

Carefully she touched them, caressed the fabric, not knowing how much her gesture was like her daddy's everytime he had touched them. "What's about these shirts, daddy?" she whispered.

And like the shirts themselves could give her the answer, she took them and decided to keep them, too.

204 words
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:15:45 am by Penthesilea »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #429 on: March 01, 2007, 09:12:05 am »

It's an auxiliary road to be able to pass muddy or swampy terrain. According to wikipedia also called log road.

Thanks, Chrissi...

I had thought of putting up an explanation but I was rushing out of the house and didn't have a minute to do so!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!