Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178314 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #430 on: March 01, 2007, 09:45:09 am »
Here in Maine, when the winter is really icy and the roads freeze up and we get frost heaves, many people will refer to those as "corduroy roads."

My point for the prompt, specific definitions aside, was to make folks think of a bumpy, rutted road...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #431 on: March 01, 2007, 12:12:24 pm »
Yep, you're right Leslie. I went on and brought some for her.

These are for you Marie, our very own drabble-cheerleader  :). Help yourself!

:laugh: :laugh:  Thanks, Leslie and Chrissi  - never had pom poms before - I'll have to practice!

And thanks,I didn't know what a corduroy road was either - but, yep, Leslie, I inferred that it was bumpy or ridged.

Ok, today I cheated a bit. I wrote this drabble last September. I like Ennis' corduroy jacket (but it plays only an underpart in this drabble). It's so Ennis.

Trailer

.  .  . This place was breathing sadness and had done nothing else ever. . .

Carefully she touched them, caressed the fabric, not knowing how much her gesture was like her daddy's everytime he had touched them. " .  .  .

A shot through the heart.  Simply exquisite writing.  (Yes, the corduroy jacket is so Ennis.)

Make do, make do...  It was always the same on these old ranches, with their old equipment, struggling to get by and just stay afloat. 

Make do, make do... in these pissant, bottom of the barrel jobs he chose so as to be able to get to Jack at least once and awhile. .  .

.  .  .   "Damn!"  Just f'n "Damn!"

. . .  Sometimes, he thought, pain is what let you know you were still livin'.  . . .

TH, you painted such a sad, perfect picture of Ennis's existence without Jack - not a life - an existence.  Really well done.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #432 on: March 01, 2007, 02:14:26 pm »
May 2, 1967

Ennis opened the rusty metal gate at the ranch leading to the stalls. The weather was turning warmer, prominsing a summer of log hot days ahead.  Warm winds across the plains brought Ennis's thoughts to the beginning of that summer, now seaming so very long ago when his life was so very different. That crisp clear morning when he rode into Signal, stepped of that truck into a part of life he had never before imagined...and met ...Jack. Just him and Jack that summer on Brokeback mountain, capfireat night, swimming in the creek and drying off in the sun, holding on tight while they slept...and then that early snowstorm...bringing it all to an end....seemed now like a lifetime ago. He could hardly look at Jack when they parted...couldn't even hardly say any thing to him..

'Dammit Jack....shudda never left ya....never let go of ya....got in that truck o' yours and never looked back.....Wish Ah could see ya just once ta tell ya.....Damn you Jack'

Ennis leaned over to his favorite horse, Thunder laid is head down on his neck and let his tears flow.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 02:55:38 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #433 on: March 01, 2007, 02:23:58 pm »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Circa 1978

Jack came into the living room, carrying a plastic bag emblazoned with the logo of the Childress Department Store. “Ennis, you around?” he called.

“Upstairs,” came the answering voice.

He found Ennis in the bedroom, putting away clothes. Jack held up the bag. “There was a sale at the store,” he said. “I bought us some pants.” He pulled out a pair of dark rust-colored corduroy Levis and held them up. “I got these for you. The color reminded me a yer eyes.”

Ennis took the pants, rubbing his hand over the nap of the fabric. “I only wear jeans, Jack,” he said. “And once in a while, shorts.”

“Yeah, well it’s time ta branch out. Besides, they were fifty percent off. Go on,” he said, grabbing at Ennis’s belt. “Try em on.”

“I can undress myself,” said Ennis, sliding his jeans off and putting them on the bed. He pulled the new pants on, fastening the button and zipping the fly. “What size are these? They feel kinda tight.”

“32/34.”

“I usually wear a 33.”

“I know, but they fit and they look good. I sometimes think ya wear yer pants too baggy.”

Ennis looked at himself critically in the mirror. “For ridin’ horses and muckin’ out stalls, I don’t want ta bein’ wearin’ tight pants.”

“Yeah, well, these ain’t fer work,” said Jack, moving close to Ennis and rubbing his hand appreciatively over his ass. “These are for goin’ out…or mebbe entertainin’ me.”

“Entertainin’ you?” said Ennis, raising his eyebrows.

“Yeah…” said Jack, with a smirk.

“You get anythin’ for entertainin’ me?”

Jack pulled a second pair of pants from the bag, these in dark blue corduroy. “What d’ya think a these?”

“I think they look good. Let’s try em on ya.” And this time it was Ennis who reached for the belt.

(312 words)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #434 on: March 01, 2007, 03:14:29 pm »
          Alma Del Mar Jr. Waldrup  was taking her daddy's old pickup, over to her own backyard today.  It still had the fairest amount of blue and white,
paint attached.  But to tell the truth, it was more rust than color you saw
now.  He had loved that truck.  It had taken him everywhere he wanted to
go?  For years now.  Not that he cared
a lot about going places the past few years.  He mostly just worked, and
drank, and came to see her, curt and the kids..
           The horses, and the camping trips he still took.  Always alone.  Always.
It seemed he even wore the same clothes.  Every time he went on one
of those trips. It was that same old corduroy jacket, and the same old beat
up hat.  He insisted on that, same outfit.  She remember the day he couldn't
find his jacket.  He had called her, and Jenny, he had even called her mother.
Just to see if he had left the jacket, at her house.  He finally located, that ratty old thing,  It was in the shed, out back of his trailer.   He called her
to let her know it was alright. " Well Jr. I guess i'll
be heading on out now, see ya in a few days."  He'd said. 
          Now she was waiting for the coroner to let her know when she could
pick up the ashes.  She planned on putting them into an urn, and taking them, on up to Lightening Flat.  She had spoken to Jack's mama, a couple of
years ago.. She had agree, it would be "just fine" for him to be buried,
next to his friend Jack in the family graveyard.  That was his wish, and she
thought it was "just fine."

« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 03:35:39 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #435 on: March 01, 2007, 03:23:45 pm »
May 2, 1967

Ennis opened the rusty metal gate at the ranch leading to the stalls. The weather was turning warmer, prominsing a summer of log hot days ahead.  Warm winds across the plains brought Ennis's thoughts to the beginning of that summer, now seaming so very long ago when his life was so very different. That crisp clear morning when he rode into Signal, stepped of that truck into a part of life he had never before imagined...and met ...Jack. Just him and Jack that summer on Brokeback mountain, capfireat night, swimming in the creek and drying off in the sun, holding on tight while they slept...and then that early snowstorm...bringing it all to an end....seemed now like a lifetime ago. He could hardly look at Jack when they parted...couldn't even hardly say any thing to him..

'Dammit Jack....shudda never left ya....never let go of ya....got in that truck o' yours and never looked back.....Wish Ah could see ya just once ta tell ya.....Damn you Jack'

Ennis leaned over to his favorite horse, Thunder laid is head down on his neck and let his tears flow.
                         Wonderful visual Mark, and beautiful picture.  I love that.
                                                                                     janice

Beautiful mind

Scott6373

« Reply #436 on: March 01, 2007, 03:37:16 pm »
OK Leslie told this one time was ok...I know it isn't drabble length but it's what came out.

Corduroy Road  3/1/07

The late winter had not been kind to the Wyoming back roads.  The heavy snow and subsequent quick melt made most of the main roads all but impassable.  He had only been up this way twice in his life, and the last time was at least twenty years ago.  Time had done nothing to improve his opinion of Wyoming.  Godless place:  Harsh and lifeless.  That description seemed appropriate to him as he turned off the main road that headed toward Lightening Flat.  This weather induced detour over the corduroy road would add at least an hour to the trip.  Regardless, he needed to go.  The time had finally come for him to lay whatever ghosts were left to their long awaited rest.

He had been at the cemetery for most of the morning.  Despite the high sun, the air was cold and cloying.  He never wanted to come here.  The thought of this place being so remote and exposed made his belly churn with disquiet.  He reminded himself of his vow to never return here, but as soon as that thought entered his brain, the reality of his persistent return trips made him realize he should give up that ghost.  He knew almost all of the stones here now; felt as though he knew the occupants under the dirt even.  Now his visits would include a stop to say hello to, now old, and never to be seen friends.  This visit was longer though.  He hoped that by now the main roads had dried up enough so that he didn’t have to take that damned corduroy road back.  He went on with his visits.

He pulled the Jeep up to the bumper of the old truck that was at the cemetery entrance.  Silently, he cursed whoever it was that had chosen today to pay his respects.  Of all the days for someone to come to this love forsaken place, they had to pick this one.  He peered out of the windshield and saw the old man at the back of the graveyard.  An old codger, he though.  He stepped out of the vehicle onto the soggy grass, the heel of his boot sinking into the ground.  Leaning a bit forward on his toes he made his way into the cemetery, through the steel and wrought iron arch that marked its entrance.  He had not the dimmest clue of where this grave would be, but the entire bone yard was half the size of his own backyard, so it didn’t take him long to find what he came all this way to see.

He regarded the younger man carefully.  Not that he could do anything about it should this person choose to do him any harm.  The arthritis in his back and hands had seen to it that his fighting days were long past.  He kept his watch without seeming obvious, until he saw where the man stopped.

He laid the small envelope down on the ground and put a nearby stone on it to keep the wind from carrying it off.  He closed his eyes, trying to recall the only memories he had.  They were so distant and he was not entirely sure they were real or embellishments of far more mundane occurrences.  So lost was he, that he didn’t notice the sounds of feet crunching snow and frozen dead laves.  When he raised his head and opened his eyes, the old man was standing in front of him, not more than two feet away.  He pulled himself up from his stooped position to greet the stranger.

“Well hello there,” the younger man said, as he extended his hand to the elder.

“How do,” was the response, the old man’s hat, pulled down so low that it hid his full face from view.  He did not offer his gloved hand to the younger.  “Don’t recall seein you round these parts before.”

“I…uh…well, I’ve never been to this place, but been up this way a few times, when I was kid.”  He shifted uncomfortably, but understood the old cowboy attitude toward strangers well enough to not begrudge the old man his due.

“You got family up here then?”

“No, not anymore.  My daddy’s parents lived nearby, but they’ve been gone for years now.”

“Yeah, lots of folks gone now.”  The older man glanced down at the stone that they stood in front of.  He gave a quick nod toward it.  “You know these folks here?”

“Well yes I do.  My grandparents are buried here…”  he paused and added, “my father also.” 

The older man nodded as if this information confirmed an unvoiced suspicion.  “Good man he was.  Hope you know that, if you know nothin else.”

The young man felt the surge of emotion well up from deep within.  “You knew my daddy?”

“Sure did.  Best man I ever did know.”

No longer able to control it, the young man turned away from the older man and allowed the tears to moisten his cheeks.  He quickly wiped them away and cleared his throat.  “He died when I was a teenager: Seems like I don’t remember a lot about him.  Can you tell me how you knew my dad?”  All he received in response was the ever present wind moaning through he frozen grass.  He turned around to find himself standing alone.  No old man in a hat was going to answer his query, because no old man in a hat was there.  He turned his head toward the gate.  The truck that he parked behind was gone as well.  He closed his eyes tightly against the incongruity.  When he opened them again, all he could sensibly do was blame the drive over that long corduroy road for tiring him out so much, that he saw ghosts.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:31:26 pm by Scott »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #437 on: March 01, 2007, 04:21:14 pm »
May 2, 1967

Shudda never, shudda never. .   what a touching portrait of regret that you've painted with your words.  And the picture . . . it's just ENNIS.

Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Circa 1978
.  .  .
“You get anythin’ for entertainin’ me?”

Jack pulled a second pair of pants from the bag, these in dark blue corduroy. “What d’ya think a these?”

“I think they look good. Let’s try em on ya.” And this time it was Ennis who reached for the belt.

;D The Lazy L Farm is one of my favorite places on earth . . . and thanks to you, Leslie, I can visit whenever I want!   :) :)

Always alone.  Always.
.   .  .
.. She had agree, it would be "just fine" for him to be buried,
next to his friend Jack in the family graveyard.  .  .  .

Alone no more - together forever.  Thanks for that, Janice.

Thanks, all,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline TH

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
« Reply #438 on: March 01, 2007, 04:23:07 pm »
Corduroy Road  3/1/07

All he received in response was the ever present wind moaning through he frozen grass.  He turned around to find himself standing alone.  No old man in a hat was going to answer his query, because no old man in a hat was there.  He turned his head toward the gate.  The truck that he parked behind was gone as well.  He closed his eyes tightly against the incongruity.  When he opened them again, all he could sensibly do was blame the drive over that long corduroy road for tiring him out so that he saw ghosts.

Woah!  Grasping for air here!   ... and ducking to avoid angel wings...  

Didn't hear the feet on snow and leaves...  yeah right!...

Great read!   -thanks...  -smile
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:29:30 pm by TH »
I know you think I know that you know what you think I said.
Know you what you think I know you know is not what I meant?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #439 on: March 01, 2007, 04:24:39 pm »
OK Leslie told this one time was ok...I know it isn't drabble length but it's what came out.

Corduroy Road  3/1/07

Thank God you didn't stifle your muse, Scott.  It would have been a sin to have deprived us of even one, single word of that. 

Thank you,
Marie