Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178152 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #580 on: March 07, 2007, 12:08:04 pm »
Brokeback Mountain
July, 1963

At last, it was hot.

Summer had finally come to the mountain and the heat of the day lingered into the evening. Jack pulled the blankets out of the tent and spread them by the campfire. “C’mere, cowboy,” he said, pulling Ennis by the hand. “I want ta love ya under the stars,” turning to look at the inky darkness overhead.

“Wha….?” said Ennis, his voice slurred.

Jack bit his tongue. The love word had slipped out. He hadn’t meant to say it, but he knew now that he was desperately, hopelessly in love with this man. Tall, lean, with bony wrists and long legs, he realized he adored everything about him from the way he smiled at him over a can of beans to the way he said “Huh?” when he was confused.

“C’mon,” said Jack softly, pushing Ennis back to the blanket, unbuttoning his shirt and sliding it off his shoulders. He ran his tongue down Ennis’s chest, stopping at the twirl of hair around his navel, unbuckling his belt.

“I think I’m drunk…” said Ennis, his head lolling back on the blanket.

How drunk, Ennis? thought Jack. Drunk enough that if I say ‘I love you,’ you won’t remember it in the morning? Drunk enough that if I say I want to be with you forever, you’ll say yes?

“Ennis, I…”

“Shhh, Jack, stop talkin’,” said Ennis, turning onto his side and pulling Jack in for a rough kiss. “Let’s get ta the lovin’.”

Jack froze, the word hanging in the air between them.

“Under the stars…”

(264 words)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:11:21 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Scott6373

« Reply #581 on: March 07, 2007, 12:12:12 pm »
“Shhh, Jack, stop talkin’,” said Ennis, turning onto his side and pulling Jack in for a rough kiss. “Let’s get ta the lovin’.”

Jack froze, the word hanging in the air between them.

“Under the stars…”

Aw...you ended too soon...I wanted to hear about the "lovin' under the stars".  Well done...as usual.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #582 on: March 07, 2007, 01:12:54 pm »
Brokeback Mountain
July, 1963
.  .  .

How drunk, Ennis? thought Jack. Drunk enough that if I say ‘I love you,’ you won’t remember it in the morning? Drunk enough that if I say I want to be with you forever, you’ll say yes?
.  .  .

We don't get inside Jack's mind as often as Ennis's - and that made this all the more poignant, Leslie.  You're just so good.   :)

He stood again to stretch the legs and to shuffle a bit...  Another deep moonless night.  He looked up to locate Polaris... and then down through the inky darkness to the campfire away below.  When did Jack become another anchor for his soul?  How did that happen?  No matter...  He ~was~ now... and that was that.

"Anchor for his soul" - wow.  Really love these short ones. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #583 on: March 07, 2007, 01:13:19 pm »
Early June 1963

Ennis laid back against the log near the campfire, fingers laced behind his head looking up at the sky. "That there is the Big Dipper....It brightest in the summer....see how if ya connect them stars it makes..." Ennis listened to Jack speaking softly, enjoying the easy companionship, Jacks gentle words only inches away. "...Ennis, see those stars right there?...." Ennis points questioning. "No... right there...see." Jack takes Ennis's pointed finger guiding him to see. "Those stars there...that's the Northern Cross....sometime they call it  The Swan..." Ennis looked up mesmerized, how did this Jack fellow...his friend  know all this about the night sky! "See that real bright star ta the right a little?...that's the North Star...sailors 'round the world used it ta find their way...with this thing called a sextant....measures the distance er somethin'..." Ennis thought maybe he should remind Jack he should be gettin' to the sheep...but this time spent with him after a hearty supper, just laying around by the campfire stretched out side to side listening to him go on...'bout anything...didn't want it to end just yet. "Look...Ennis!...a shooting star!....Quick...make a wish...."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:22:02 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #584 on: March 07, 2007, 01:24:32 pm »
Early June 1963
"Look...Ennis!...a shooting star!....Quick...make a wish...."

I really liked that, Mark...

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #585 on: March 07, 2007, 01:39:12 pm »
Thanks Leslie!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #586 on: March 07, 2007, 02:13:04 pm »
Morning all!  :) A dabble ..

That Night ..

Supper by the fire was a silent one, as it always was on our last evenings together.  He was melancholic that night, his mood was quiet.  I kept thinking of how to tell him, but the words eluded me.  It’d be at least six more months before we could be like this again, maybe here, just the two of us.  The thought alone burned my insides; I could not find the words to tell him.

The moonlight dissolved the inky blackness of the night; the soothing sounds of the flowing river played like music in the air.  We lay together in the tent, face to face in each other’s arms.  There were no words, no questions, no answers.  I still recall the familiar odor of him, the taste of the kiss he placed on my lips, the feel of his hand on my back, the tangle of his legs with mine; all the while, his eyes fixed on me, searching and longing.  Words can not express the feelings evoked in me that night, locked in that embrace.  It was peace, I was home.

We fell asleep in each others’ arms.  If I’d known.. If only I’d known that would be the last time…  I’d have stayed awake all night and felt his beating heart and watched him sleep.. I’d have found the courage, the words to tell him even as he slept .. It is you, you are the one, the only man I love. 

(~245 words)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:39:12 pm by Lucise »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #587 on: March 07, 2007, 05:06:08 pm »
Early June 1963
.  .  . Jack takes Ennis's pointed finger guiding him to see.

. . . ta find their way...

. . . "Look...Ennis!...a shooting star!....Quick...make a wish...."

My favorite Mark Drabble, yet!!! The notion of Jack guiding Ennis . . .of finding their way . . . of wishing . . . sigh - that was awesome, Mark.

Morning all!  :) A dabble ..

That Night ..
.  .  .
The moonlight dissolved the inky blackness of the night; the soothing sounds of the flowing river played like music in the air.  We lay together in the tent, face to face in each other’s arms.  There were no words, no questions, no answers.  . . .

That ain't no dabble, honey!  That is Something Special. 

These are such inspired and inspiring prompts, Leslie.  I'm humbled by all the talent.

Thank you,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #588 on: March 07, 2007, 05:10:22 pm »

My oh my!! I think this is my favorite drabble day so far..I remember so many stories.  So
many large and small.  I just was blown away by the ones today.  They are everyone, small
gems of perfection.  Everyone capable of being the best.  I usually dont read before i write.  However today i have.  I dont want to write now for fear of not measuring up..So i will be
back tomorrow, dear friends and fellow drabblers.
                                                                                 janice

Beautiful mind

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #589 on: March 07, 2007, 05:19:18 pm »

My oh my!! I think this is my favorite drabble day so far..I remember so many stories.  So
many large and small.  I just was blown away by the ones today.  They are everyone, small
gems of perfection.  Everyone capable of being the best.  I usually dont read before i write.  However today i have.  I dont want to write now for fear of not measuring up..So i will be
back tomorrow, dear friends and fellow drabblers.
                                                                                 janice
Oh Go ahead and write!