Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183375 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #710 on: March 14, 2007, 05:36:44 am »
Greetings all, from Belgium!

Flying over the green grass of the countryside, I was inspired...try these:

• spring green, grass or leaves
  • church
  • calf

Have fun!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #711 on: March 14, 2007, 12:10:54 pm »
“Ennis…….Ennis What da yer think?”

Ennis still taking the sight of Jack looking back at him dressed in finery. Looking so sharp and handsome this man before him, his man he had known from so long ago, this mwn he awaoke with in a tangle of arms, legs and sheets, this man he had leaning against that old black pickup that morning in Signal, the day they will celebrate. Ennis turns away, looks own.

“Should I try on another?”

Ennis nods head .

“Then what is it? Look at me Ennis.” Jack touches his hand to Ennis’s chin.

“Can’t…Afraid I might start bawlin’ Jack. ….Jack yer the purttiest thing I ever saw….damn you Jack.” Ennis bits his lip.

“All yours bud.” Jack takes his hand to Ennis’s face. “Come on…need at get some shoes ‘n belts.” Jack leads Ennis.

“Shoes and belts!” Ennis recovered looks back at Jack. “This is gonna be expensive.”

“Cant wear cowboys boot ‘s with these threads Ennis”

“Butt….” Ennis ‘s words were lost on Jack.

Jack picked out a pair of cordovan ‘Florsheim’ penny loafers and a matching elegant leather finely braded belt for himself. Ennis looking at the price tags picked up a simple black belt. Watching over Ennis, Jack took it from his hand replaced it with a finely crafted soft pigskin black belt. With Jack’s help and Charles measuring Ennis’s foot he picked out a pair of black ‘Florsheim’ oxford shoes.

“Jack….these cost almost a $100.00.…Jack.”

‘Those are the best Ennis, last ya forever….‘sides how much does a good pair of cowboy boots cost?” Jack feeling the fit of the shoes on Ennis‘s feet.

“But Jack….we….”

“Can’t hear you Ennis. Walk around see how they feel, pick out couple more shirts while yer up, size 16“x 33” is what you got on..”

“More shirts!. What da I need nother shirt for?…Huh?”

“Cause I ain’t gonna be seen with ya wearin’ the same shirt in that suit all the time, that’s what. They’s 40 percent off so don’t ya worry none.”

“Where else we gonna be wearin’ this here suits.”

“Don’t know. Your Jenny might be getting’ married soon, Bobby too. We might even go at church once in a while, now let’s get.” Jack nodding toward the shirt rack. After some persuading Ennis picked out a muted red and white candy stripe cotton oxford button down as well as a light blue in the same style. Jack got a white one the same as Ennis’s and a blue shirt with white collar. While Ennis was holding a shirt up to the suit Jack drapes several silk ties over his shoulder.

“Ties!”

“Yeah…Them’s what they are. Which do ya like best.”

“Gotta wear ties too ?”

“Yup…Which da ya like best?” Looking over Ennis’s shoulder.

“This one I guess….” Ennis picks out a striped rep tie.

“And?” Jack’s eyebrows raised to Ennis.

“And?”

“Yeah, and? Pick out three more”

“We can share the ties ‘n shirt’s, that way we don’t have ta…..”

“Yeah we can…..pick out three more.” Jack is determined.

Ennis looking back to Jack. “Damn you, Jack”

Jack smiles.

Excerpt from CH2 of "Shirts,...."
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #712 on: March 14, 2007, 01:04:33 pm »

Oh my goodness Mark that was soo cute.  And wow that is a spectacular picture too.
 Those boys sure clean up nice.  Dont they?   I cant wait till you finish that story,, its been
 a while..                                                                        janice

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #713 on: March 14, 2007, 01:18:38 pm »

Oh my goodness Mark that was soo cute.  And wow that is a spectacular picture too.
 Those boys sure clean up nice.  Dont they?   I cant wait till you finish that story,, its been
 a while..                                                                        janice

Yep - love seeing the boys putting on a little Ritz.  And how cute is it that Ennis wants to share ties and shirts - that is just so Ennis.   :laugh:  Looking forward to Chapter 3 tonight!

Thanks, Mark
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #714 on: March 14, 2007, 01:57:46 pm »
Junior's wedding

"Jack, you're here with me?"

"You know I am."

"Gonna march my girl down the aisle in a few minutes. Can you believe it?"

"She's beautiful. And a gentle young woman. You can be very proud."

"Was Alma's doin'. Hardly did something for 'em in years. Monroe's doin', too. He pays for everythin'."

"Who did she want to march her down the aisle? Not Monroe.  It's you Ennis. Remember how happy she was when you told her you'll come, no matter what?"

"The least I could do. I.... I wish I would have done more for her. 'N Francine. 'N for - for you."

"It's okay Ennis. It's all good now. I'm here. I'll walk down the aisle with you and Junior, I'll be right there beside you, k? Now you go on."

Ennis knocked at the door and Francine let him in. Giving him a quick kiss, she left the little room at the far end of the Methodist Church.

"Shall we go?"

"Yes, daddy. I'm ready."

"You look beautiful. I'm very proud of you."

Alma Jr. gave him the warmest smile he had seen in two years. Ennis Del Mar walked his first-born down the aisle.

(205 words)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:01:02 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #715 on: March 14, 2007, 04:33:17 pm »
Something in Common

(May 1985)
Ennis drove by the church.  He slowed down, he had considered stopping and going inside, but he decided not to.  He hadn’t been in one since he was a boy, and besides he figured, God probably doesn’t like him much anyway.

It was May and the spring grass and leaves were on their way out.  Ennis spent the day taking care of the newborn calves.  The past couple of days have been really hard, even though it has been a few years.  He didn't understand why suddenly all that pain and emptiness would just hit him so hard again.

Ennis drove home to the trailer.  He heated up a frozen dinner, watched tv for a while, and then tried to sleep.  But he couldn’t fall asleep, which was fine because he didn’t want to dream about Jack that night.

Ennis went outside and sat on the step.  He could see Tom was still awake at the other trailer.  All the lights were on.  Ennis liked Tom.  At first he thought he was an old man, but then he realized it was just the thick grey hair that made him look older.  Tom was only few years older than him.  Tom didn’t talk all that much, or ask Ennis too many questions.  Then there were those pictures, of Tom and another man, Ennis wondered about that.

“Ya okay, Del Mar? “  Suddenly Tom was standing right in front of him.

Ennis nodded.

“Ya don’t look okay.”  Tom said as he sat down next to him.  “Ya know, I had a buddy once.  A real good buddy, he’s gone now too.”

Ennis looked at him in amazement, wondering how he possibly could know about Jack.

“Real good buddy, an army guy” Tom continued.  “Then he was killed over in Vietnam.  Thought I couldn’t face another day when I heard the news.”

“How did ya go on?”  Ennis asked his voice barely above a whisper.

“Just one day, really just gotta make it one day atta time” Tom said, his dark blue eyes shining in the dim light from the trailer.  “Sounds like what they say on tv, but it’s true buddy, just one day atta time.”

Ennis buried his face in his hands.  Suddenly he felt a hand on his back and shoulders and another hand slowly moving up and down on his thigh.  Ennis didn’t back away at all.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:56:51 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #716 on: March 14, 2007, 06:07:10 pm »
Something in Common

One of the best drabbles I ever read. Everything perfect within this short piece: Ennis' thoughts about god, the fact that he didn't want to dream about Jack right then because it has been so hard the last days. Tom's unintrusive ways.
“How did ya go on?”  Ennis asked his voice barely above a whisper.
Oh my.

It's a hopeful one, but at the same time so, so sad, it has me in tears nonetheless.

Thank you Marlen.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #717 on: March 14, 2007, 06:21:31 pm »
Junior's wedding
 .  .  .
"It's okay Ennis. It's all good now. I'm here. I'll walk down the aisle with you and Junior, I'll be right there beside you, k? Now you go on."[/i]
.  .  .

Aww, Chrissi - this just killed me.   "I'm here."  You made me cry while smiling. 

One of the best drabbles I ever read. Everything perfect within this short piece: Ennis' thoughts about god, the fact that he didn't want to dream about Jack right then because it has been so hard the last days. Tom's unintrusive ways. 
.  .  .

Yes, I agree.  Marl, this was just outstanding in every way.  I really felt it. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #718 on: March 14, 2007, 08:52:43 pm »
Greetings.   :)

My day has been busy as heck, but I managed to find time after work for a dabble..
Here goes.

In the face of God ..

Monday, November 7th 1983

He sat quietly on the third pew from the church door.  He was alone except for two older gentlemen sitting on the last bench at the back.  It seemed like such a long time had passed since he’d been to the Methodist church, he wasn't sure why he'd come today.  He felt weak, his back was sore and his eyes were puffy from all the crying he’d done that morning.  He felt pathetic and feeble but he tried his utmost to keep a plain look on his face.  He stared straight ahead at the pulpit; his eyes falling upon the open book on the wooden stand.

‘So you punished him for being queer, did ya?  Boys like me and him end up in hell, don’t we?’  His tears clouded his vision but he would not let them fall. 

‘Could’ve been me an’ him .. Pine Creek .. on this very day.  He made me happy, we was happy together … what the fuck is so wrong with that, hunh?   ‘Cuz we’re queer, is it?’

‘Two guys livin’ together, no way – your own words, the chastising voice in his head shot back.  ‘If ya can’t fix it, ya gotta stand it - your own words again! it persisted.

He shook his head as if to dislodge the voice that haunted his days and fueled his nightmares after dark.  He took in a deep breath and swallowed with difficulty.  He chided himself for being so weak but he could not stop the tears that now rolled down his cheeks.  He wiped them off quickly and picked up his hat from the seat next to him.

As he walked out of the church, he glanced over at the two gray-haired men on the last bench.  They were sat close together and he noticed that they held onto each other, their intertwined fingers resting on a tired knee.  He walked past them quietly, nodding at the minister standing at the door.

He lit a cigarette and sat beside his trailer window.  He looked out at the fields in the distance, lost in a reverie.. His mind roamed back to the days of his childhood and to the sight of Earl lying amongst the dead leaves, abandoned like roadkill.  He shuddered at the crystal-clear image conjured in his mind’s eye ..  His thoughts drifted to the two old men he’d seen holding hands unashamedly, right there in church .. in the very face of God, if he indeed existed.  He wondered if his life might’ve turned out differently if he’d first witnessed at that tender age what he’d seen today. Before long, it was spring time; the old faces in his dream were replaced by younger ones and the pair holding hands was his Jack and himself, together again..  He cried, and for the first time in many long days, he smiled ..

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:37:11 am by Lucise »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #719 on: March 14, 2007, 09:02:11 pm »
     Bobby Twist was entered in a calf riding contest.  He was finally going to be like his daddy.
A rodeo cowboy.. He had his mama buy him a new western cut shirt.   It had spring green background, with white piping, around the edges, for trim..  He had a beautifyl belt with his name carved in it and the letters stained with geen as well.  He wore his brand new boots, and his dark blue wranglers.  He was a sight to behold, for his mama and daddy.
     His grampa Newsome and gandma were there too.  The bright green hat made the whole
ensemble look like a brand new penny, all shiny and enticing.
     Jack was so proud of his son.  He had learned to ride pretty darn well ,for a boy of only nine.  He was quick on his feet, and agile too.  But there was definately, something different about Bobby than he ever noticed before.  He seemed, somehow more quiet, than usual.
He didn't seem to be his usual, happy go lucky self..Usually he done a fair share of griping about the little things, in life.  Things, pretty much unimportant.  This time, however, it seemed to be, something was eating at him.  Jack couldn't put his finger on it.
     He  figured he'd just let it go for now, and asked Lureen offhand "did she notice, anythin,
botherin Bobby lately"  Somethin happen at school, or at baseball?"  Lureen said "no, not that i know of.  Why do you ask?"  "Oh I don't know, just seems to be something wrong."
"Well you're probly right."  An just at that time the announcer came on the public address
system, to announce the following group of Junior riders.  He named all the kids, boys and girls alike, that were going to be participating.  Bobby was seventh, in the line up.   And he would
have to wait a bit. 
     Jack decided to walk over to the area where the kids were.  Waiting, standin around, and
talk to the boy. 
Try and keep his nerves at bay for a time.  Jack understood how the
nerves could set in when you had to wait your turn.  Jack and Bobby discussed how
long Bobby had been riding, and how long Jack had rode when he was rodeoin. They talked about the friends they had each met, and the different animals they had seen.  Finally the time came, and it was only two more riders, before Bobby's turn, so he had to leave, and get ready to mount up.  Jack turned to hug his son good bye til later, and wish him good luck.  As Jack leaned in to hug him Bobby flinched away, and almost jumped backward.  Jack was startled, having never had him act like that before.
     Jack asked immediately.  "What in heck is wrong boy?  You getting too big for your daddy to hug you no more.?"  Bobby said " daddy that ain't it."  "What then, what is it?"  "Well I figured people would think I was queer.  Grampa said, you was queer. So if I hugged you, people would think I was queer too."   Jack just froze dumbfounded where he  stood.
He didn't have a reply, and he didn't make one.  He just watched Bobby walk away toward the pins, where the mounting was done.  He suddenly felt his legs feel like they could not,
further hold him.  He had a sudden surge of anger, like he had never had.  In his, entire lifetime.  He paused, then.    "I'm gonna kill that sumbitch.  That mother fucking, ignorant, sumbitch.  He has
gone too damn far.  This time.  Im gonna kill him."

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:11:08 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind