Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178262 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #730 on: March 15, 2007, 04:47:57 pm »
My contribution:  :)
.  .  .
“I miss him too Ma,” he said taking her hand.  “He won’t be there when I graduate from high school or when I get married or none of that.  I know ..  Sometimes he looked so unhappy, but I know he loved ya.”  Two lone tears fell on the robe as she lowered her head.

“I’ll be ya silver lining, Ma, I’ll look after ya ..”
.  .  .

Bobby lost his daddy.   :'(  Thanks for that touching reminder, M - I always seem to focus on Ennis's loss so much sometimes I forget.

.  .  .
 She sees that the inside of the envelope, has that shiny silver lining, that some of the  utilities use.  Maybe that will be a good omen, he wonders,, "LOVE CASSIE'  
    .  .  .       

Janice, you clever thing you!  Loved your use of that prompt.  I do the same thing sometimes - try to make a good omen out of those little things.

.  .  .
"Was April when I fist told ya how long it been ......acted like you didn't even remember....You had somethin' planned the whole time....."

Ennis looks down shyly, Jack embraces him resting his chin on his shoulder. "Got sometin' fer you too."
.  .  .

Excerpt from as yet otherwise unwritten, unreleased Chapter 4 of "SHIRTS..."

Aww - that is so sweet.  Can't wait to find out what Jack got Ennis.  Looks like another great chapter in the works, Mark!  And thanks for the pic - "Team Roper" - love it.

Thanks, drabblers
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #731 on: March 15, 2007, 05:06:48 pm »
Thanks for your drabbles Janice & Mark..!

It is so much fun to look forward to these everyday ..  :)

Bobby lost his daddy.   :'(  Thanks for that touching reminder, M - I always seem to focus on Ennis's loss so much sometimes I forget.

I know Marie, I forget sometimes too ..  :)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #732 on: March 15, 2007, 05:39:59 pm »
The Next Day

(May 1985)
The clouds were real low in the sky.  Ennis stared at them, standing outside of his trailer.  He looked for the silver lining but he couldn’t see them today.

Cassie was always talking about seeing the silver lining.  Ennis had begun trying, but he just couldn’t, not today.  Last night he started feeling a little better, sitting there with Tom, but today he didn’t feel anything silver at all.

Jack was in his mind all day, but now Tom was there too.  It scared him, that they were both there all day.  He always thought he wasn’t like that, that it was just with Jack, but now he didn’t know, now with Tom in his mind too.

Ennis looked over at Tom’s trailer, he wasn’t home now.  He wondered about Tom, obviously it seemed like Tom was like that too.  The pictures, of Tom and his friend, the feeling of Tom’s hand.  Ennis tried to put that out of his mind, but he couldn’t the entire day.

Ennis went back inside his trailer and opened up a beer.  He kept hearing Jack say, from that day so long ago “it’s nobody’s business but ours.”  But it became other peoples business, Alma’s, and Cassie's and now even Tom’s.  It became their business even now, even after Jack has been gone.

Jack never seemed to care, he was always so enthusiastic when they were together.  Tom seemed like he didn’t care either.

Ennis sat down, still thinking, still wondering, “how did Tom know?”  He kept asking himself all day “how could he possibly know?”

Ennis sat there, but his eyes began closing, his head nodding.  He saw Jack, standing there smiling, but then he saw Tom, with that thoughtful look on his face that was already becoming familiar.  Then there was Jack again, now with Tom.  Suddenly there was a loud noise.

Ennis shuddered and shook himself awake.  But the noise continued.  He went to open the door.

(It starting to seem like Tom is asking for a whole story too, with Ennis.)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 05:58:18 pm by marlb42 »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #733 on: March 15, 2007, 05:54:26 pm »
Marl, I like the direction you're going! 

He always thought he wasn’t like that, that it was just Jack, but now he didn’t know, now with Tom in his mind too.

Ennis looked over at Tom’s trailer, he wasn’t home now.  He wondered about Tom, obviously it seemed like Tom was like that too.  The pictures, of Tom and his friend, the feeling of Tom’s hand.  Ennis tried to put that out of his mind, but he couldn’t the entire day.

That was lovely!  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #734 on: March 15, 2007, 06:09:32 pm »
Thanks for stepping in and helping, Milli! I appreciate it.

If prompts aren't posted really early tomorrow morning, someone go ahead and give it a whirl. I am busy with all I have going on here in Belgium!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #735 on: March 15, 2007, 06:12:45 pm »
May 9th 1988 6:10 PM

Jack slipping a red and white carnation boutonnière to Ennis's lapel. "Jack...Jack...got somethin" fer ya.."

"Mmm..." Jack raises is eyebrows.

Ennis retrieves a small box wrapped in fancy gleaming paper from his suitcase hands it to Jack hardly able to contain himself. Jack carefully opens the package careful not to tear the paper. Still in the original mailing box addressed to Ennis c/o Andy and Rita Colins, Jack opens the outer package finding a smaller dark burgundy box inside. Lifting of the cover, removing a layer of cotton, Jack sees a very ornate sterling silver belt buckle, in the center are two horses and riders, one with rope lassoing a small calf in gold. Jack is left speechless bites its lower lip.

"They call that design 'Team Roper' .It's me 'an you bud...Yer the one with the rope..."

Jack, eye moist,  still at a loss. "Oh Ennis.....It.....It sure is...."

"Turn it around...look at the back...." Jack turns the buckle over in his hand. Sees.

Jack and Ennis May 9th, 1963

"Ennis......Ennis.....this is somethin'....you sent away fer this?....Had it made special."

"Aw heck....Ain't nothin'...."

"Sure is Ennis...." Jack picks up the mailing box looks at the postmark. "Hey Ennis....they sent this to you in March....You....You  knew all along....You knew it 25 years comin' on, had sometin' planed all along....."

"Didn't know how long it a take is all....don't mean nothin'"

"Was April when I fist told ya how long it been ......acted like you didn't even remember....You had somethin' planned the whole time....."

Ennis looks down shyly, Jack embraces him resting his chin on his shoulder. "Got sometin' fer you too."

"Where did cha hide it!....I didn't....find......"

"I knew I couldn't trust you.....had it sent to the hotel....the kept here......"

"Damn you Twist....."

Excerpt from as yet otherwise unwritten, unreleased Chapter 4 of "SHIRTS..."

You have the sweetest story Mark.. I love the anniversary trip.
                                                                       Janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #736 on: March 15, 2007, 06:14:08 pm »
Thanks for stepping in and helping, Milli! I appreciate it.

My pleasure, Leslie .. waiting to hear all about your Belgian adventures so far ..  ;)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #737 on: March 15, 2007, 06:35:26 pm »
The Next Day
. . .
 Last night he started feeling a little better, sitting there with Tom, but today he didn’t feel anything silver at all.

I'm so glad you're continuing this, Marl- keep listening to that muse.  :)  This sentence, in particular, really struck a chord -   it so perfectly demonstrates human nature.  Nicely done.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #738 on: March 15, 2007, 06:54:56 pm »

Wow you are writing a whole story.. one drabble at a time..cool.
                                                                       janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #739 on: March 15, 2007, 11:25:05 pm »
Marl, I like the direction you're going! 

That was lovely!  :)

Thank you so much Miili, and Marie and Janice,

I am so glad you liked it.  And M, thank you for the great prompts today. :)

We'll see were this is going ;)

Marl
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 12:02:07 am by marlb42 »