Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178134 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #740 on: March 16, 2007, 04:23:05 am »
Morning all,

Up early and off to Bruges. Chew on these, will ya, drabblers?

• camera
  • cemetery
  • rememberance

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #741 on: March 16, 2007, 08:40:05 am »
Jack...Jack I'm so sorry your gonna be endin' up here. All I ever wanted was to protect ya, not let anyone hurt ya. I wish I cudda been there to stop 'm, would have tore apart with my bare hands Jack. Jack there was nothing I ever wished for more than to just be with you, felt so bad it just couldn't be. Never wanted to leave Brokeback, stayed there fer ever iffin' we could. I miss'n you so much Jack.....Jack your the very best friend I ever had.

Ennis....Ennis s'alright can ya hear me? I know Ennis...I know it all. I know what you felt from the day we met, I see how you looked at me when I was asleep, I see you at camp lookin' up fer me when I was up with the sheep. I know you only meant to keep us safe, I know how you heart broke to say it couldn't be, I see you at the side of the road with tears in your eyes whenever we parted, I see the joy in your face when we'd meet again, I see the grief you feel now. Ennis...s'alright you have the shirts, the rest don't matter, hold them close...and remember.... . I love you so very much. Ennis...Ennis look quick, see the horse and rider way out on the prairie? That's me on ol 'Cigar Butt' always be a' watch'n over you cowboy, never let happen to you what did to me, I'm so so sorry Ennis. Ennis I will always be in you heart, you see me in your dreams and after you take you last breath we'll be together again, always.

Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #742 on: March 16, 2007, 12:20:32 pm »

A beautiful tribute.

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #743 on: March 16, 2007, 01:43:01 pm »

Ennis Del Mar is now in his 52nd year.  He heard that Jack's mama, died.  Back a couple of months ago.  This is his
first opportunity to get over here and pay his respects.  Its late in the year, and what with all the fall work, being done.
November is his earliest chance to get out this far.
     Lightning Flat is more remote now days. " Even, than the last time I was here." "Seems, like all the folks from around here.  There're movin out." " Jack's mama went to stay with her sister, after the old man died." " She sent me that picture, of the cemetary, with the place where they buried Jack."  "I never could bring myself to come out here before,
and see it in person." 
    " Can't stand the thought of you being buried out here Jack." "This is one of the most god forsaken looking places I have ever seen."  "You should be around, where life is going on around ya. Jack."  "You was always so full of life."
"Specially that first year we met.  Up on Brokeback.  Member."  "You was so silly sometimes I just busted up, just thinking about ya.  Member that time when you was all acting silly, bout my daddy.  Him sayin rodeo cowboys was all a
bunch of fuck ups?  "Wish I would of had a picture of you back in those days.  You was just about the best looking man  I ever saw in all my whole born days."  "Still was.   Last time I laid eyes on ya Jack."  "One thing for sure, that ain't gonna change." " You still are, and always will be the sweetest rodeo fuck up in the world to me."
   "  Well I see where they put you Jack.  Not where I would have done it."  "But I spose dead and buried, is dead,
and buried."  "I guess it'll be fine when I am here too.  Like your mama said I could do.  It'll be awright then."  "One way or tother, we will finally be tagether."  "Tagether, for good and all."  "Well Jack, say hi to your mama, and I hope she is doing good.  I'll see ya next time.  See ya soon, I hope.  Oh yeah I done told Jr about what we wanted, to be both buried here, as the good friends we always was. together."

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 06:33:35 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #744 on: March 16, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »
One more, I couldn't resist, and then I'll see...(I know, it is way over)

The Next Day (continued)

(May 1985)
Ennis opened the door.  It was Tom, as he had hoped for and expected in a way.
“How ya doin buddy?  Better today?” Tom asked with concern.

Ennis nodded.  “Yeah, some days, ya know.”

“Hey, I know, its okay buddy, we all get days like that” Tom said coming inside.
He looked all around the sparse trailer.  “Don’t ya have any pictures?”

Ennis shook his head, “Na, can ya believe, I never had a camera.”

“No pictures or any remembrances? Tom asked still looking around “Of anybody?”

“I got some things” Ennis said, glad that the closet door was closed.  “Ya want a beer?” he asked, quickly changing the subject.

Without waiting for an answer Ennis went to the refrigerator and took out two beers.  He handed one to Tom, and stood there looking at him.  “How did ya know?” Ennis found himself asking.  He didn’t mean to ask now but it just came out.

Tom cleared his throat, “Let’s just say, I could tell, and I have my ways.”

Ennis sat down on the little chair, staring at Tom.  He didn’t know what to make of him.  He didn’t understand how Tom could know. 

Tom pulled up the other chair and placed it right in front of Ennis.  “I have my ways” he repeated, taking Ennis’s hands in his hands, after putting down the beers.

Ennis felt his breath quicken.  He looked at Tom.  Tom’s eyes were blue like Jack’s eyes, but they were different.  Jack’s eyes were like the sky, everything open and visible.  Tom’s eyes were like the depths of the sea, with many hidden mysteries.

They sat there like that for a while, not speaking, with Tom holding both of Ennis’s hands in his.

“Where is he buried?” Tom asked.

“In Texas” Ennis replied, not wanting to mention Lightning Flat.

“You should go to the cemetery, and talk to him” Tom said.  “I do and it really helps me.”

Ennis looked deep into those eyes.  He could not understand how Tom could know so much.

Suddenly Tom smiled, “Did ya eat yet?"
“Naw” Ennis replied.
“How bout ya come over and I’ll fix ya something” Tom said, standing up.  “I can cook a little.”

Ennis stood up too, realizing that he had no idea about what Tom did to make a living.  In fact, Ennis thought, he didn’t really know anything about him.

“Well, I guess”  Ennis started to answer, but suddenly Tom pulled him close, and he felt Tom’s mouth on his.  Tom’s  lips were both firm and gentle, his kiss probing and deep.  Ennis felt a hand on his waist, sending hot sparks rushing through him.

Then Tom went to the door. “Ya comin?”

“In a minute” Ennis whispered, and sat back on the chair, trying to get the shaking of his body and the spinning in his head to stop.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:43:02 pm by marlb42 »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #745 on: March 16, 2007, 05:57:23 pm »
.  .  .  Ennis I will always be in you heart, you see me in your dreams and after you take you last breath we'll be together again, always.[/i]

That really is beautiful, Mark - I  look at the picture and imagine Ennis is hearing Jack's voice.

.  .  ."You was always so full of life."  "Specially that first year we met.  Up on Brokeback.  Member."  "You was so silly sometimes I just busted up, just thinking about ya.  Member that time when you was all acting silly, bout my daddy.  Him sayin rodeo cowboys was all a bunch of fuck ups?  "Wish I would of had a picture of you back in those days.  You was just about the best looking man  I ever saw in all my whole born days."  "Still was.   Last time I laid eyes on ya Jack."  "One thing for sure, that ain't gonna change." " You still are, and always will be the sweetest rodeo fuck up in the world to me." . . .

Another beautiful tribute, Janice - and so very Ennis.

.  .  Tom’s eyes were blue like Jack’s eyes, but they were different.  Jack’s eyes were like the sky, everything open and visible.  Tom’s eyes were like the depths of the sea, with many hidden mysteries.
.  .  .

That is just gorgeous writing, Marl - very, very nicely done!

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #746 on: March 16, 2007, 06:28:20 pm »

Nice chapter again Marlb                                                      janice

Beautiful mind

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #747 on: March 16, 2007, 11:39:03 pm »
Marie and Janice,

Thank you so much again :)

Marl

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #748 on: March 17, 2007, 09:14:18 am »
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Any drabblers not out drinking might want to try these:

• shamrock
  • pot o' gold
  • luck

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #749 on: March 17, 2007, 01:35:36 pm »
(Happy St. Patricks Day!)

Pot o’ Gold?

(June 1981)
Cassie's Daddy always used to tell her, “Just you wait, you’ll see, Cassie, your pot o’ gold will surely be coming.”  He would say this to her when she was tucked into her bed, under the pink comforter, and he would sit at the edge of the bed and gently stroke her head, and stay with her until she fell asleep.

Cassie shook her head and opened the door to her car and got inside.  She wasn’t really sure why her daddy was coming back in her mind just now.  Actually he has been there a lot lately.  In fact, Cassie hasn’t thought this much about him almost since he left so long ago.

Cassie started the car and began driving away.  She used to think that she would have good luck, real good luck someday.  But now she wasn’t so sure anymore.

“Everyone else….” Cassie said out loud, shaking her head again.  All her friends had long since gotten married.  All had at least a couple of babies now.  All, that is, except her.

Cassie drove into town.  She parked her car not far away from the bar, the one where she used to work, where she met him.  “Maybe he will be here”  she said almost out loud as she was getting out of the car.

Cassie opened the door to the bar and looked around.  He wasn’t there.  On the wall was a poster with a shamrock on it.  It wasn’t there before.  It was for a new beer, and it said “Your Luck Will Come.”  Cassie looked at it for a moment but then she went back to her car.  She rummaged through her bag and found a piece of paper.

Three and a half weeks and not a word from Ennis.

“I might as well leave one here too” Cassie said with a sigh, and began writing another note.

But then she whispered “not like its gonna make any difference.”  Tears then filled her eyes and began falling on that scrap of paper.

(Its too bad Cassie is so sad today, but it just happened that way)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:23:12 pm by marlb42 »