Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178065 times)

Offline TH

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #780 on: March 19, 2007, 09:50:16 am »
Ennis stopped and looked at the stars. He did have faith in those stars.

... yeah... Ennis would know the stars...  gotta anchor your soul somewhere eh? 
I know you think I know that you know what you think I said.
Know you what you think I know you know is not what I meant?

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #781 on: March 19, 2007, 11:13:44 am »

Monday, May 9th, 1988 

Ennis and Jack are on the way to Denver from their ranch near Fort Morgan, Colorado to celebrate 25 years since Brokeback.

Pulling out onto the pavement Ennis shifts in high bringing the truck up to speed. Jack, sitting back on the bench seat, left foot resting on the transmission tunnel. “So Ennis ….you a little nervous there?”

“Who….me…..course not.” Jack nudged his leg, grinning. Ennis looked Jack returning his smile, relaxed eased back in his seat.

“So there Ennis…I was thinking….”

“Seems ya do lotta that….”

“After we get out hair cuts….still be early…..won’t be eating….till bout’ 7:00.…thought….”

“Thought what Jack…..just what were ya thinking…Huh?”

“We could go back at the room….you know …in…”

“I know an what….?” Ennis turns to Jack with a teasing smile. “Just what ya go in mind Twist?”

Jack turns looks out at the plains of eastern Colorado passing by. “I don’t know…something’ at be workin’ up ah appetite is all…you know…”

“Could go fer a walk…that’d build up good appetite….probably lot’s we haven’t seen in Denver’

Jack taps him in the calf with the point of his boot. “Was thinking on sometin’ we could do in the room.”

“Got ah deck o’ cards in the glove box...play gin.”

Jack opens the glove box, pulls out the cards, opens the box takes one out, tosses it out the window. “Guess we can’t …missin’ the eight of diamonds.”

“Now what did cha go ‘n do that for?….huh?….damn litterbug.”

“Since when do we need ah deck of cards.”

“Seems like they came in handy that time we were goin’ up ta the mountains last year and got stuck on the wrong side of that stalled freight train….wuz stuck there fer almost two hours. Did pretty good in five card stud….Hey ….that reminds me…you still owe me twenty dollars I won ya.”

“I kinda got other plans fer you….think I got a way to pay ya back”

“Ya mean like checkers? …..we could do that…Play fer money.” Ennis now enjoying the verbal sparing.

“Yeah Ennis checkers!…..spend an anniversary in a nice hotel playin’ checkers!”

“Okay…if that’s what ya wanna do……to bad though…didn’t bring em.”

“Didn’t even think we had any….” They both turn to each other and then burst out laughing.

Excerpt from Ch3 of 'SUITS,.....'
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #782 on: March 19, 2007, 05:56:17 pm »
(I know, this did get rather long...)

Waiting

(April 1980)
It was dusk, the sun had set, just some orange left over the mountains.  Cassie stood outside, shivering, even though it was April, it was cold outside.  Cassie was waiting for Ennis, he was already more than an hour late.

Last night was so different.  Ennis was over and they were playing a board game.  They never did anything like that before.  But it was in his truck when he came to pick her up. It was the girl’s game, that they left in the truck.  Cassie said “why don’t we bring it upstairs and play?”

So they did, it was a silly game, just right for teenage girls.  There were lots of colored dots that you had to put in the right boxes.  They actually were having fun.  Ennis was even laughing.  Cassie had realized last night that she hardly ever saw him laugh in all this time.  Cassie shook her head thinking how strange that was.  To know a person for a couple of years and almost never see them laugh.

But after they played and Cassie made Ennis dinner, a change had come over him.

Cassie stood outside shivering, looking down the road for the truck.  She didn’t know what happened last night that caused him to change.  They were still laughing as they sat down to eat, but then during dinner something changed.  Ennis sat there, quiet for a while, and then he said “I gotta get going.”

“Are you comin tomorrow, like we said?”  Cassie asked him as he was putting on his hat.

He mumbled, but then he looked at her and said “Yeah, around five.”  Then he left.

It was now almost seven, the sky was almost completely dark.  She kept standing there shivering.  Cassie said to herself, “Lord, I wish I knew..…”

Cassie thought about all that she had said to him last night.  She had been talking about the restaurant that day.  She always told him stories about the people that she waited on.  About the lady, who was really fat, who kept calling her over complaining about all of her food.  About the kid who spilled milk all over everything and himself too.  About the cowboy who came in, and sat all by himself in the back.  A cowboy who was real polite, with dark hair, a mustache, and real sky blue eyes.  He was so kind to her.  He kept saying please and thank you ma'am.

Cassie had been watching him the whole time, there was just something about him, she had thought.  The way he sat there.  She told Ennis all about him last night, just like she told him about all the people she waited on.  She couldn't figure out what made him change like that.

Cassie looked down the empty road once more.  It was now half past seven.  She stood there shivering in the April cold.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 06:01:49 pm by marlb42 »

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #783 on: March 19, 2007, 06:47:24 pm »
. .  .“Ya mean like checkers? …..we could do that…Play fer money.” Ennis now enjoying the verbal sparing.

“Yeah Ennis checkers!…..spend an anniversary in a nice hotel playin’ checkers!”

“Okay…if that’s what ya wanna do……to bad though…didn’t bring em.”

“Didn’t even think we had any….” They both turn to each other and then burst out laughing.

Excerpt from Ch3 of 'SUITS,.....'

:laugh: I just love that scene, Mark - and it fit the prompt perfectly - cool!

.  .  .
Cassie looked down the empty road once more.  It was now half past seven.  She stood there shivering in the April cold.

Wow.  Marl, that was just wonderful.  And these last three sentences are so effective - they evoke so much with a few perfectly chosen words. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #784 on: March 19, 2007, 06:48:45 pm »
Greetings friends.  A little dabble ..  :)

From dusk to lust ..

July 1963

The mountain sky was alight with elegant colors of yellows and reds when Jack rode into camp.  Ennis had opened two cans of beans and fried the remainder of the potatoes for supper.  Good conversation, whiskey and hardened left-over biscuits were welcome accompaniments to their evening meal.  After supper, Jack retreated to the tent for a lie-down while Ennis filled the blackened tin kettle with water for a bath. 

Jack awoke at dusk to the sound of water splashing and faint humming in the air.  He rubbed his eyes and sat up.  He pushed the tent flap to the side and saw Ennis bathing a couple of yards away from the ebbing fire.  Steam rose from the iron bucket from which he sloshed himself with water and from his wet body which he lathered up, vigorously rubbing with the green washcloth.  Jack sat there for some moments, transfixed by the naked form of his new lover.  He was a sight to behold – stooping down in that fashion, his knees wide apart and his body soaking wet.  Jack swallowed involuntarily and felt the familiar stir, the longing that seemed to consume him so much lately.  He pulled off his shirt and stepped outside the tent.  Ennis stopped humming when he heard Jack approaching with a big silly grin on his face.

“Whut’re ya so pleased about?”  Ennis inquired, raising his arms and lathering underneath them.

“Nuthin'.  Got some hot water to share?” Jack smiled, unbuckling his belt and unzipping his jeans.

Ennis splashed some water playfully in Jack’s direction.  “Sure ...”, he said, looking Jack up and down, his gaze finally falling on the bulge in Jack’s pants. He watched with intrigue as Jack pulled off his boots and jeans and walked towards him.  He seemed to be fascinated by the littlest things Jack did - a look, a sigh, the way he licked his lips, or smiled ...

“Ya got to be getting back to them woolies pretty soon, mind you..” Ennis quipped, his eyes still roaming.

“A man is entitled to a five minute warsh, Ennis ..” Jack added, tousling the wet curls on Ennis’ head.

“That what ya got in mind?  Better make it thorough then ..”  Ennis joked, a wet hand forming a soapy trail down Jack’s back ..

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #785 on: March 19, 2007, 07:10:35 pm »

From dusk to lust ..

. . . He was a sight to behold – stooping down in that fashion, his knees wide apart and his body soaking wet. 

I knew I was gonna love this as soon as I read the title.  "A sight to behold" indeed! :)  Thanks, M!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline TH

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • being surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses
« Reply #786 on: March 19, 2007, 08:23:17 pm »

From dusk to lust ..

Whew...  Good stuff...   -smile
I know you think I know that you know what you think I said.
Know you what you think I know you know is not what I meant?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #787 on: March 19, 2007, 08:32:01 pm »
.  .  .   But there was something more with these two.  They were frail but could move relatively well... and he found watching them a comfort... in a strange sorta way. 

One day he forgot himself.  It was afternoon before the dinner time for the restaurant and it was empty in the place.  Maybe that's why he forgot where he was.  Right out of the blue, without thinkin' at all, he said out loud...  "Would we h've had to wait till we was old too, Jack?"

As soon as it was out he realized.  He looked her way... with guilt in his gaze... she had to have heard.  She smiled at him.  She brought the coffee pot and another cream.  Refilled his coffee, set the pot down and put her hand on his shoulder for just a few seconds without saying a word and then went back to the counter. 

"Jesus, Jack!  What are you doin' to me here?"

TH, what a gifted writer you are.  I was right there with Ennis and it felt so real and so natural.  Really beautiful.  Thank you.

Marie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #788 on: March 20, 2007, 04:35:30 am »
Hi all,

Good morning! Thanks for keeping the drabblefest going in my absence! I appreciate it. This touring and sightseeing stuff takes up more time than I expected...LOL. It looks like I may be around today, though. Chrissi's son has a fever and we are going to take it easy. Maybe visit the Cathedral in Speyer if we get the energy. We'll see. Right now I am lazy.

The drabbles are good. If I can make a gentle reminder, we are supposed to try and stay between 100 and 300 words. I haven't deleted anything and even I am guilty of going over on length, so I am not going to be too obnoxiously strict. But if everyone could make an attempt to keep their drabbles short, the mgt. would appreciate it!

As for your comment, TH, of the prompts being an access point--I find that is absolutely true. That is part of the reason I started this thread, because I find the prompts open up a place of creativity and keep me writing everyday. That's good and I have appreciated the self-discipline that has come about, too. I haven't written a drabble in a few days (traveling is distracting) but I have been doing some other writing, so it is all good.

Prompts to follow, and I am going to take a shower, a source often for inspiration.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #789 on: March 20, 2007, 04:36:44 am »
For today...

• speed limit
  • earnest
  • bakery

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!