Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183768 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #840 on: March 26, 2007, 07:06:02 pm »
Finally found time to catch up with you drabblers!

Early August 1970 

Ennis awoke to the warmth the sun on his skin, Jack against him, half on top of him feeling his even breaths of sleep. This moment, this time with Jack was what he lived for to be up here just him and Jack. No hurry to ride back to camp, lay back and enjoy the sun, gentle breeze whispering through the trees, the comfort Jack blanketing him, his breath  on his neck.  He had wished too that it could be like this, just like this always...like their days at Brokeback. One day just maybe...long time from now...when Junior an Jenny were  on their own...If Jack would still want... But for now and maybe  ever this was all that would be, this time on the mountain here with Jack, whenever they could....would be all that can ever be....

This is so bittersweet, Mark, and so beautifully written.

.  .  .
“Can I go with you dad?  To the Big Horns, I mean .. Been a while since we went fishing together.  Can I come too? Please, dad?” Bobby pleaded, a gleam of hope in his eyes. .  .  .

I love these little Bobby moments that you give us, Milli.  So true to life and touching.

. . .
She looked at the door of the closet.  Two shirts, the mountain postcard, the stains.  She remembered the day with Cassie, trying to tell her that Daddy wouldn’t be getting married again. .  . .

And now you've given us a touching Junior moment, Marl  - very nicely done.

.  .  .
   Jack became his constant companion, closer and more available than anyone else in his life. 

When he thought of all that his life had become and all that he had in and with it... there was only one thing to say. 

"A sweet life."

Wow.  That was incredibly moving, TH. 

.  .  . hoping against hope that his face would not divulge his secret..

So, so sad.  All their beautiful moments are always tinged with this secrecy and guilt. 

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #841 on: March 27, 2007, 07:38:32 am »
Hello everyone!

I am back from vacation and ready to get down to the reality of day to day life...again. What a trip I had and what great memories, plus wonderful new friends. It was truly the experience of a lifetime.

Today is March 27th and we are wrapping up TWO MONTHS of great Bettermost drabbles. Let's keep the excitement going for another two months, shall we? Or maybe three, four, or five? And I promise, I'll start writing again!

Just a quick recap of the guidelines:

• Drabbles should be 100 to 300 words, written in response to a prompt. We don't have word count police so if you go over, that's okay, but if you go over and over every single day, you might get a PM from me with a gentle reminder about length.
  • Three prompts will be posted per day. A writer can use an older prompt but if you do, please identify what it is at the beginning of your drabble. Drabbles do need to be written in response to prompts.
  • This is a new guideline: writers are limited to one, or maybe two, max, drabbles per day.
  • Careful writers write carefully. In other words, respect your writing and give your drabble a quick once-over for spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc. We don't have the grammar police here and I won't edit, but I have had a few comments that drabbles that aren't proofed are hard to read, and that detracts from the quality of your writing.
  • The drabbles are archived at http://community.livejournal.com/bbmdrabblefest/ Thanks to goadra and lucise for their work on this project!

I think that's it. Have fun everyone and happy drabbling!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #842 on: March 27, 2007, 07:40:21 am »
So let's have some fun prompts today:

• head over heels
  • justice
  • zoo

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #843 on: March 27, 2007, 09:18:57 am »
I'm still in the process of catching up with drabbles from the past one and a half week. Thanks to all your creativity, that's a whole lot of pages  :).

Thank you to all drabbles for going on and on. It's the immense variety of different styles and ideas, brought to this thread by all the different writers, that makes it so interesting.

Although I haven't read all the previous drabbles yet, I'm back with one myself. I'll post it right away. Todays prompt "zoo" immediately brought a specific picture to my mind and the rest unfolded while writing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 09:24:30 am by Penthesilea »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #844 on: March 27, 2007, 09:22:52 am »
A zoo. Of all places, Ennis never would have thought he would have such a great day in a zoo. He smiled to himself.

Jack, if you had seen me today, you would't believe it.

But maybe he had seen him. Thoughout the day, the thoughts of Jack had been intense. It was almost like he had been there with him. Right there in the zoo, watching zebras and giraffes, carrying little Steven piggyback, buying him and Lizzy a second icecream, despite of Alma Jr.'s frown.

Ennis opened the closet door and laid down on his bed. He started to dream of Jack even before he closed his eyes. In his dreams the worlds began to mingle, he saw Jack carrying Lizzy, then he kissed Jack, deep and slow, but it wasn't up on Brokeback, it was on Junior's back porch and he could hear his grandchildren's voices somewhere in the background.
Then there was only Jack left. At first he didn't say a word, but his smile was warm and welcoming and his eyes were shining when he embraced Ennis and whispered in his ear "You're home now, Ennis."

Ennis Del Mar's last day on earth had been a very happy one.

204 words

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #845 on: March 27, 2007, 10:31:28 am »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
May, 1976

“Ennis, can I ask ya somethin’?”

“A course.”

“Back when we got together—ya know, our reunion—you told me the story ‘bout that murdered rancher yer daddy took ya ta see…”

“Yeah, so?” said Ennis, his voice cautious.

“Well, ya never mentioned it again.”

“Ain’t somethin’ I like ta think ‘bout, and I like ta talk ‘bout it even less.”

“I can understand that. I’m just thinkin’…my daddy is a mean ol’sumbitch, but I don’t think he’d go that far. What was the point?”

“The point? Ta show me some Wyoming justice, I guess. Teach me a lesson ‘bout how queers end up.”

“We ain’t gonna end up that way.”

Ennis smiled. “No, we ain’t, and I guess for that, my daddy was wrong.”

“Were they like us?”

“Who? Rich and Earl? Queer? Yeah, I s’pose so.”

“No, I meant head over heels. In love.”

Ennis smiled again. “Mebbe. I don’t know. They sure never looked as happy as I feel. Mebbe they kept it hidden inside.”

Jack leaned over, pulling Ennis close. “I can’t keep it hidden, cowboy. I love you.”

“And I love you too.” Ennis ran his finger along Jack’s cheekbone, then leaned in for a kiss. “And I ain’t ever gonna stop.”

(216 words)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #846 on: March 27, 2007, 11:51:38 am »
What's happening to this thread today?  ???  This morning there were 63 pages, now there are 58  :o.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #847 on: March 27, 2007, 12:14:41 pm »
What's happening to this thread today?  ???  This morning there were 63 pages, now there are 58  :o.

I don't know, Chrissi, I haven't deleted anything!

L

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #848 on: March 27, 2007, 12:40:01 pm »

I noted the same.

TH ~  Did you delete your drabbles?  ???
If you did, please start a new thread for your story.
Looking forward to it.  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #849 on: March 27, 2007, 12:43:37 pm »
My dabble ..

Doting and doodling ..

September 1977.

Ennis was busily cleaning the dirty dishes from supper; Alma Jr. and Jenny were seated quietly at the small dining table, seemingly concentrating on their schoolwork.  He loved it whenever they came to visit or spend the weekend.  They always managed to infuse some warmth and laughter into his otherwise lonely, work-filled days.

“Give that back!” Junior cried.  “Jennifer!  I’m warning ya, give it back now!”

“Will not!” her sister yelled back.

“Whoa, whoa .. What’s the matter here?” Ennis intervened as he walked over to the table, wiping his hands on a dish towel.  “What’s all this about?”

“Daddy, Alma’s in love ..Look!” Jenny beamed, holding up a piece of paper with colorful doodles all over it.  “His name is Frank ..” Jenny continued.

“Shut up Jenny!” Junior warned, now angry.

“Whoa.  You two oughta be doing your homework, not fighting over this..”  He took the piece of paper from Jenny and handed it back to her sister.  “If you two don’t start behavin’ like ladies, I’ll have ta cart ya off to the zoo,” Ennis joked.  “So who is this Frank anyway?”

Alma pursed her lips and threw a nasty look her sister’s way.  “He’s nobody, daddy.  Just a boy in my class.  We eat lunch together sometimes, that’s all.”

“So how come ya got all googly eyed when ya saw him in church last week?”  Jenny smirked.

“I said shut up Jenny!” Junior cried.

“Whoa girls..” Ennis said with a smile, “It’s okay if ya like him Alma..”.

“But I don’t..”

“I've been head over heels before too, ya know..” he added.

“Was it Ma?  The person you were crazy about?” Jenny asked, her eyes wide.

Ennis smiled again, “No stories until you’ve finished yer homework.  I’ll be back to check ‘em in half an hour!” he said, walking back into the kitchen.

(~306 words)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:07:53 pm by Lucise »