Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1184388 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2007, 03:59:19 pm »
Oh, Natali, that hurts....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2007, 04:03:55 pm »
-I think I heard the phone ring, Alma- said Ennis.
-Uh, yeah.. It was nobody. Wrong number- lied Alma.
-Dammit- murmured Ennis, as Alma went into the kitchen to finish dinner.

Whoa - makes me wanna jump at her throat

Good one Natali.

Scott6373

« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2007, 04:21:31 pm »
Poor misunderstood Alma...the bitch never gets a break...hehehehehehe

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2007, 04:28:52 pm »
Poor misunderstood Alma...the bitch never gets a break...hehehehehehe

Well, that's something she would do, wouldn't she? Besides it is the explanation I give to their decision to keep in touch with postcards, instead of phone calls.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2007, 04:54:51 pm »
Well, that's something she would do, wouldn't she? Besides it is the explanation I give to their decision to keep in touch with postcards, instead of phone calls.

To be fair, she never tore up the postcards.

Offline el_wing

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • and bite me too...
« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2007, 05:14:52 pm »
Another boring Saturday night bridge game part 2

“What’s this?” Jack asked, wavin’ the card in Lureen’s face. “And how long have you had it?”

“What’s this?!” Lureen hollered, her dark eyes lightin’ up and a hot blush sparkin’ down her neck. “That’s what I should be askin’ you—what’s this!”

“Is everything ok in here?” They both turned to the voice behind. Lashawn’s big hair stuck through the swinging door to the kitchen. The rest of Lashawn wasn't far behind. “Well, is it?” she asked again.

A yes, two no’s and a maybe flew between the two along with evil eyes shootin’ enough fire to make Ol’ Nick burn. Lashawn stood with her mouth hangin’ open, sizin’ up the situation, then decidin’ to butt in friendly like--

“Well at least let me get the fajitas out of the oven I was warmin'. Randall is bitchin’ up a storm. Guess he’s too finicky ta be eatin’ my pigs-in-a-blanket. Made ‘m special too.”

Lashawn took her sweet time. Pulled out the pan. Put the fajitas on a fancy tray. Lined em up like soldiers. Got out the salsa and sour cream. Jack tapped the card on the counter while Lureen commenced to cross her arms and grind her teeth. Lashawn wasn’t outta the kitchen two seconds before Lureen lit into Jack on the offensive.

“Jack," her voice comin' in harsh hushed breaths, "no friend writes about wantin’ a sweet life with just a fishin’ buddy. Who is this Ennis to you?”

“Think you already know. Think you’ve known for a long time.”

“Thinkin’ and knowin’ are two different things.”

“Why’d ya keep it from me?”

“Ta keep ya here.”

272 words
Leaves turn over with the times,
The sun breaks each day with shines,
Hither awhile, then whither back--
It is life that people lack.
     ~el-wing

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2007, 05:36:08 pm »

Well, she thought,,, " i wonder if Ennis's friend will be nice.  I've never met one of his friends before."  " I suppose i'll have to
make him dinner." 
   "That might be kinda nice, course we could get a sitter, take him to the Knife and Fork."  "Ennis, Ennis,"  "yeah,
what." "Where did you say your friend was from?"  "Texas, why."  "Just wondering."  "Well he  probably would like Mexican food,
she thought."  Alma wanted to impress Ennis's friend, show him how nice she was, and let him know,  what a good cook she was too.  and that he was always welcome.                                       

"Hemmm, maybe i could fix them fahitas, like that new Mexican restaurant  El Pollo Loco makes...Yeah, that'd be easy, and they sure are
good..." "This'll be fun for a change, havin company."

Beautiful mind

Scott6373

« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2007, 05:42:05 pm »
El Pollo Loco...I'm actually laughing out loud.  Janice this is a treat.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2007, 07:45:00 pm »
Oh, Natali, that hurts....

L

It sure does.

Another boring Saturday night bridge game part 2

272 words

A drabble mini-series- I love it!  Such a clever use of the prompts!

Well, she thought,,, " i wonder if Ennis's friend will be nice.  I've never met one of his friends before."  " I suppose i'll have to
make him dinner." 
   "That might be kinda nice, course we could get a sitter, take him to the Knife and Fork."  "Ennis, Ennis,"  "yeah,
what." "Where did you say your friend was from?"  "Texas, why."  "Just wondering."  "Well he  probably would like Mexican food,
she thought."  Alma wanted to impress Ennis's friend, show him how nice she was, and let him know,  what a good cook she was too.  and that he was always welcome.                                       

"Hemmm, maybe i could fix them fahitas, like that new Mexican restaurant  El Pollo Loco makes...Yeah, that'd be easy, and they sure are
good..." "This'll be fun for a change, havin company."

Oh, Janice - this was so sweet and so sad - and then you zinged us at the end and made me laugh! 

Thanks!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2007, 07:34:24 am »
Drabblers! Happy Friday to all of you. For today, give these a whirl...

• quilt
  • lariat
  • pensive

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!