Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1178283 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2007, 12:51:46 pm »
Leslie, this is just perfect, another wonderful story from the Lazy L just before I leave. I'll read 'how it all began at the Lazy L' again next week!

See you next sunday!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2007, 02:12:30 pm »
     Ennis's old truck, rattled and bumped, the road was rutted and rocky
with the tracks of recent rains..The sky, held a look of impending doom..It was
sunny enough, but the feeling of dire dread, and rain, was in his mind.
     The only thing he saw. Was the darkening of his eyes. When they Filled  with the look of betrayal.
      Jack watched as the fire of this last day.  Of their oh too short, trip comes to a tempestious end.
     They had both been vile in the release of their sorrow.  Jack had told, " how he would love to quit him."  Ennis saying "it might get you
killed."  Truth is, neither one, really believes the harsh words.  It was
easier to fight, and part, and pretend, they were angry men, than to
allow the true feelings to come forth..The truth is, every time they
part, The sharpness of that cut, is getting more difficult to bear.
     They had never been able to say the real truth..the real was
beyond bearing.." Let be," it's  better this way.  Better this way.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 07:15:11 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline el_wing

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • and bite me too...
« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2007, 03:22:08 pm »
He placed the roses on the grave that held no spirit, just a name on a stone. The spirit was in some jar, betrayed yet again by a father who would never let his soul run free. Ennis yearned to release Jack—at least some small part of him. He’d cried a lifetime of tears; maybe one of those tears would be enough.
Leaves turn over with the times,
The sun breaks each day with shines,
Hither awhile, then whither back--
It is life that people lack.
     ~el-wing

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2007, 05:47:43 pm »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
August, 1986

.  .    .
Jenny felt tears gather at the corner of her eyes. “Oh, Uncle Jack, the thought of not having you in my life…”

Jack leaned over and brushed the tears from her cheek with a gentle finger. “Well, I am in yer life and I ain’t goin’ away…even if you are far away at college in Massachusetts. You can just pick up the phone, any time ya want ta talk.”

.   .    .
293 words

Leslie, it makes me so happy to know that Jenny has Jack and that Jack has Jenny-what a special bond!

Truth is, neither one really believes the harsh words.  It was
easier to fight, and part, and pretend, they were angry men, than to
allow the true feelings to come forth..The truth is, every time they
part The sharpness of that cut, is getting more difficult to bear.
     They had never been able to say the real truth..the real was
beyond bearing.." Let be," it's  better this way.  Better this way.

Such a sad truth, Janice.

He placed the roses on the grave that held no spirit, just a name on a stone. The spirit was in some jar, betrayed yet again by a father who would never let his soul run free. Ennis yearned to release Jack—at least some small part of him. He’d cried a lifetime of tears; maybe one of those tears would be enough.

el_wing, I kept reading that over and over - it was so perfectly written!

Nest

Lureen spent the rest of the day feeling as if she’d stepped into a hornet’s nest: the unceasing buzzing in her ears, her head spinning, skin tingling—no, aching, hurting all over. All from a single phone call that had lasted maybe a few minutes.

Roses

He had never bought flowers for anyone, she knew that, but she didn’t want to go to that place empty-handed, couldn’t bear to have his spot the only one without something on it. She asked the lady at the flower shop what the colors meant. Too many to choose from, so she finally decided on a mixed bouquet of roses, one of each. The lady smiled warmly. “You know what means? ‘You’re everything to me.’”

Junior nodded gratefully through her tears. “I couldn’t have made a better choice.”

goadra, these were just so, so sad - but in such a beautiful, beautiful way - you made me ache along with Lureen and tear up along with Junior!  Great prompts, btw!

Thanks, all.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2007, 07:05:02 pm »
     Ennis lay a Blue Jays nest, and a single rose upon a large rock
outcropping..It was high up on Brokeback, up where the Eagles soared.
This was the place where he and Jack had sat that first day on the way
up the mountain.  Jack tending the young sheep that had had gotten the wild  thorns entangled in its tender feet .
     As  Ennis had sat and watched his new young friend..He saw
the tenderness he held in his eyes.  .When he released the
young buck, it scampered off a distance and stopped and looked back
before moving off to join the flock.  He glanced out from under his
hat, too shy, to make a sound, and much less to speak.  He thought he
had never met a man with such tender ways,,he admired a man who
felt kind towards animals..He himself, held his animals in very high regard.
     Ennis saw the blue of the sky, and the fluffy clouds on this cold, fall
day..It reminded him yet again, of the fluff of the lamb, and the blue
that could never, be matched in his heart."  Fly Jack, up with
the high winds, and the beautiful blue. " I know yer here bud, just wait a while, i'm coming back too.. "            

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 07:35:26 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2007, 07:52:46 pm »

Surgery         (301 Words)

The new rose bush planted just below the living room window was the first thing Ennis noticed upon exiting his truck, making his way slowly to the front door, shaking his head, grumbling slightly…

‘Dammit, Jack,’ Ennis muttered, “…you’s supposed to be restin’.” 

Ennis entered their home and followed the sounds and smells to the kitchen, where he found Jack busily attacking a pile of vegetables with a very large, very sharp knife.

“Hey, Bud…thought the doc told you to rest…” Ennis began.

Jack jumped and turned quickly, large knife still gripped tightly between tense fingers.

“You think you might wanna put that thing down before I mosey over there and try to hug ya?”  Ennis teased.

“Hey cowboy, didn’t hear ya come in.”  Jack laid down the knife and grabbed Ennis to himself, letting his tired spirit snuggle and nest into the taller man’s body.

“Why aint ya resting like the doc told you to, huh?”

“En,” Jack sighed, “…please…don’t start.  Can’t stand this…can’t stand my body betraying me like this.  It’s like I’m being punished for needin’ somethin I can’t quit needin’ any more than I can quit needin’ to breathe.”  Jack shook quietly in Ennis’ arms.  “Aint right...just aint right…” Jack sighed, letting his head come to rest softly on Ennis’ shoulder.

Ennis held his man tenderly, stroking his hair, before finally pulling back to hold his lover’s face, looking deeply into his eyes…

“You’re gonna be fine, Jack.  Doc said so.”  Ennis’ voice broke as he gripped Jack tightly, leaning his head quickly over Jack’s shoulder again, so the clutching man who needed him so much wouldn’t see the tears starting to work their way from his eyes.  Ennis continued to repeat the only thing he was willing to accept at the moment…

“…gonna be just fine…”      

301 Words

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 08:01:19 pm by haunted_by_bbm »
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2007, 01:22:20 am »

Surgery         (301 Words)

The new rose bush planted just below the living room window was the first thing Ennis noticed upon exiting his truck, making his way slowly to the front door, shaking his head, grumbling slightly…

‘Dammit, Jack,’ Ennis muttered, “…you’s supposed to be restin’.” 

Ennis entered their home and followed the sounds and smells to the kitchen, where he found Jack busily attacking a pile of vegetables with a very large, very sharp knife.

“Hey, Bud…thought the doc told you to rest…” Ennis began.

Jack jumped and turned quickly, large knife still gripped tightly between tense fingers.

“You think you might wanna put that thing down before I mosey over there and try to hug ya?”  Ennis teased.

“Hey cowboy, didn’t hear ya come in.”  Jack laid down the knife and grabbed Ennis to himself, letting his tired spirit snuggle and nest into the taller man’s body.

“Why aint ya resting like the doc told you to, huh?”

“En,” Jack sighed, “…please…don’t start.  Can’t stand this…can’t stand my body betraying me like this.  It’s like I’m being punished for needin’ somethin I can’t quit needin’ any more than I can quit needin’ to breathe.”  Jack shook quietly in Ennis’ arms.  “Aint right...just aint right…” Jack sighed, letting his head come to rest softly on Ennis’ shoulder.

Ennis held his man tenderly, stroking his hair, before finally pulling back to hold his lover’s face, looking deeply into his eyes…

“You’re gonna be fine, Jack.  Doc said so.”  Ennis’ voice broke as he gripped Jack tightly, leaning his head quickly over Jack’s shoulder again, so the clutching man who needed him so much wouldn’t see the tears starting to work their way from his eyes.  Ennis continued to repeat the only thing he was willing to accept at the moment…

“…gonna be just fine…”      

301 Words

This is real life dear,,very nice, i hope they are  " gonna be just fine...."

Beautiful mind

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2007, 06:27:31 am »
I just caught up with all the drabbles of the last days. Still love this thread.

Leslie I like your drabbles about the wedding pic. Though it's sad that they both disliked this pic and their marriage so much. I remember that my parents both kept a copy of their wedding picture and cherished it, even after their divorce. It represented good times and bad times (more bad times, I guess), but it was a part of their life.

My first ever drabble:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
November 1985
Dozy E Ranch
Ten Sleep, Wyoming

“Never liked them damn purple chairs, Jack,” Ennis said, putting the last of the Thanksgiving dishes into the cupboard.  “I know you got ‘em in the divorce an’ all, but, they just ain’t me.”

“We can’t afford new ones, En.  You know that.  Maybe next year the ranch’ll do better and we can get those oak ladder-back ones you like.  It’s not like we have folks over that often, anyway.”  Jack finished wiping the glasses dry and handed two to Ennis.  “We may not have much, but we got each other,” said Jack, snapping the dishtowel and connecting with its intended target, Ennis’s ass.

“Goddammit!” Ennis squealed, almost dropping the glasses.

“C’mon, cowboy, tell me where it hurts.” Jack grabbed him from behind and tried to subdue the squirming Ennis.  “Let’s hit the hay, I’m beat.”

“You’re beat?”  Ennis laughed.

Gravel kicked up and sprayed the trailer, coming off a passing semi and Ennis awoke with a gasp.  Tonight, the pillow was wet.

Paul, damn, you really got me with this one  :'(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #268 on: February 18, 2007, 08:49:33 am »
Today's prompts for the drabbling crowd:

• sermon or prayer
  • butterfly
  • tranquil

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #269 on: February 18, 2007, 09:15:27 am »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Jack turned on his side and hitched himself up on his elbow. “Ennis, do you believe in God?”

Ennis looked at him. “Yeah. Do you?”

Jack nodded yes. “I do. We don’t go ta church y’know.”

“I can’t abide church. That fire and brimstone crowd? I don’t need ta be lectured at ev’ry week, tellin’ me I’m unnatural for lovin’ you.”

“My momma used to go to church.”

“My momma did too. And Alma does. I went for awhile, but quit.”

“When?”

Ennis gave Jack a small smile. “After seein’ you in ’67. I realized then it was sorta…what’s the word? For two-faced?”

“Hypocritical?”

“Yeah, that. Besides, I realized I didn’t need a middleman ta have a conversation with the Big Guy.”

Jack laughed softly. “You talk to God?”

“Ev’ry day. Ev’ry day I send up a prayer of thanks for havin’ you in my life. And I send up another one askin’ Him ta keep you safe.”

“It’s you and God keepin' me safe?” said Jack, with a grin. “I ain’t got nothin’ ta do with it?”

“Well, mebbe a little, like when you wear your seatbelt and stuff. But mostly it’s God and me, yeah.”

Jack rolled onto his back and looked at the ceiling. “Glad ta know you’re so concerned ‘bout my welfare and ya got God in the mix.”

Ennis leaned over, running his finger along the angle of Jack’s jaw. He gave him a smile and a wink. “Somebody’s gotta do it. Might as well be me.”

(257 words)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 09:19:19 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!