Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1184479 times)

Scott6373

Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #440 on: March 01, 2007, 04:34:04 pm »
Thank God you didn't stifle your muse, Scott.  It would have been a sin to have deprived us of even one, single word of that. 

Thank you,
Marie

Thanks darlin'  It's strange, but when I read the prompts this morning,  I had NO inspiration from them, then all of a sudden this idea popped into my head.

Great read!   -thanks...  -smile

Thanks TH

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #441 on: March 01, 2007, 04:35:51 pm »
         .  She had spoken to Jack's mama, a couple of
years ago.. She had agree, it would be "just fine" for him to be buried,
next to his friend Jack in the family graveyard.  That was his wish, and she
thought it was "just fine."

GOOD JOB JANICE!!!!!!
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #442 on: March 01, 2007, 07:11:03 pm »
Tough one today, hope not too late.

A Ride in the Spring.

April 1974

Ennis was out driving.  He often did it these days.  Just get in the old rust covered truck and drive and drive on all the back roads.  The last time he did it was last Sunday.

“Where you’ve been all day?” Alma asked.

Ennis didn’t answer her.

“Would be nice if ya came to church just once and a while.”

Ennis didn’t answer her. He just went to the bedroom and took out the postcard from the pile of postcards that he kept all the way in the back of the drawer under the thick brown corduroy shirt.

He sat there and looked at it and looked at it, just two more weeks, he thought that day, till he got to see Jack again.

Today after Alma and the girls left for  church, Ennis just got in his truck and drove and drove and drove.

He stopped at the fork in the road.  He usually went left, but in no hurry to go home, not to Alma and the accusing stares, he went to the right.  The road narrowed and narrowed, soon it was not more then a bumpy worn path.  'A corduroy road' he had heard someone say one day.  Couldn’t remember where or when he heard it 

He past by an old burned out shack.  He past by an old car.  The remains all rust covered and black.  He past by another old shack, the weeds and vines almost covering all.

He kept driving and driving, his insides shaking and rattling.  He kept going, although he knew that the day was moving on.

Finally he stopped the truck, he got out, he realized he had come halfway up the mountain.  He heard the birds calling far off in the distance, but now the sky suddenly was beginning to change, from bright and sunny to cold and dark.

He felt the drops of rain.  But what he saw as he looked down the hill, what he saw just took his breath away.  One more week till Jack, he thought, and stood there in the rain, looking at what took his breath away.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #443 on: March 01, 2007, 08:31:40 pm »
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX
Circa 1978

Jack came into the living room, carrying a plastic bag emblazoned with the logo of the Childress Department Store. “Ennis, you around?” he called.

“Upstairs,” came the answering voice.

He found Ennis in the bedroom, putting away clothes. Jack held up the bag. “There was a sale at the store,” he said. “I bought us some pants.” He pulled out a pair of dark rust-colored corduroy Levis and held them up. “I got these for you. The color reminded me a yer eyes.”

Ennis took the pants, rubbing his hand over the nap of the fabric. “I only wear jeans, Jack,” he said. “And once in a while, shorts.”

“Yeah, well it’s time ta branch out. Besides, they were fifty percent off. Go on,” he said, grabbing at Ennis’s belt. “Try em on.”

“I can undress myself,” said Ennis, sliding his jeans off and putting them on the bed. He pulled the new pants on, fastening the button and zipping the fly. “What size are these? They feel kinda tight.”

“32/34.”

“I usually wear a 33.”

“I know, but they fit and they look good. I sometimes think ya wear yer pants too baggy.”

Ennis looked at himself critically in the mirror. “For ridin’ horses and muckin’ out stalls, I don’t want ta bein’ wearin’ tight pants.”

“Yeah, well, these ain’t fer work,” said Jack, moving close to Ennis and rubbing his hand appreciatively over his ass. “These are for goin’ out…or mebbe entertainin’ me.”

“Entertainin’ you?” said Ennis, raising his eyebrows.

“Yeah…” said Jack, with a smirk.

“You get anythin’ for entertainin’ me?”

Jack pulled a second pair of pants from the bag, these in dark blue corduroy. “What d’ya think a these?”

“I think they look good. Let’s try em on ya.” And this time it was Ennis who reached for the belt.

(312 words)

I LOVE LESLIE'S DRABBLES!!!!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #444 on: March 01, 2007, 09:06:28 pm »

I LOVE LESLIE'S DRABBLES!!!!
Ah, thanks Dev... :-*
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #445 on: March 01, 2007, 09:08:05 pm »

Never too late, never too late...thanks for this contribution...more wonderful drabbles today, as we have had every day, from everybody. I love this thread!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #446 on: March 01, 2007, 09:52:12 pm »
          Alma Del Mar Jr. Waldrup  was taking her daddy's old pickup, over to her own backyard today.  It still had the fairest amount of blue and white,
paint attached.  But to tell the truth, it was more rust than color you saw
now.  He had loved that truck.  It had taken him everywhere he wanted to
go?  For years now.  Not that he cared
a lot about going places the past few years.  He mostly just worked, and
drank, and came to see her, curt and the kids..
           The horses, and the camping trips he still took.  Always alone.  Always.
It seemed he even wore the same clothes.  Every time he went on one
of those trips. It was that same old corduroy jacket, and the same old beat
up hat.  He insisted on that, same outfit.  She remember the day he couldn't
find his jacket.  He had called her, and Jenny, he had even called her mother.
Just to see if he had left the jacket, at her house.  He finally located, that ratty old thing,  It was in the shed, out back of his trailer.   He called her
to let her know it was alright. " Well Jr. I guess i'll
be heading on out now, see ya in a few days."  He'd said. 
          Now she was waiting for the coroner to let her know when she could
pick up the ashes.  She planned on putting them into an urn, and taking them, on up to Lightening Flat.  She had spoken to Jack's mama, a couple of
years ago.. She had agree, it would be "just fine" for him to be buried,
next to his friend Jack in the family graveyard.  That was his wish, and she
thought it was "just fine."

One of the best drabbles you've written Janice.  Thank you Mrs Twist for allowing J&E to rest in peace together forever.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #447 on: March 02, 2007, 09:21:59 am »
Drabblers!

Happy Friday. We're having a snowstorm here in Maine and I am home for the day. Yes, I have real work I could do, but maybe I'll find time for fun stuff instead...

Prompts for today:

• eyebrows
  • pancakes
  • black

Leslie

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #448 on: March 02, 2007, 10:04:24 am »

Corduroy Road  3/1/07

The late winter had not been kind to the Wyoming back roads.  The heavy snow and subsequent quick melt made most of the main roads all but impassable.  He had only been up this way twice in his life, and the last time was at least twenty years ago.  Time had done nothing to improve his opinion of Wyoming.  Godless place:  Harsh and lifeless.  That description seemed appropriate to him as he turned off the main road that headed toward Lightening Flat.  This weather induced detour over the corduroy road would add at least an hour to the trip.  Regardless, he needed to go.  The time had finally come for him to lay whatever ghosts were left to their long awaited rest.

I've started reading A Gift Of Exile today. And I've now just read your drabble (i need a better word, 'drabble' just doesn't do it justice). I should stop crying. I really should...

thank you Scott!  :-* Wonderful writing
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #449 on: March 02, 2007, 12:13:15 pm »

A Ride in the Spring.

April 1974
.   .   .

He past by an old burned out shack.  He past by an old car.  The remains all rust covered and black.  He past by another old shack, the weeds and vines almost covering all.

He kept driving and driving, his insides shaking and rattling.  He kept going, although he knew that the day was moving on.

Finally he stopped the truck, he got out, he realized he had come halfway up the mountain.  He heard the birds calling far off in the distance, but now the sky suddenly was beginning to change, from bright and sunny to cold and dark.

He felt the drops of rain.  But what he saw as he looked down the hill, what he saw just took his breath away.  One more week till Jack, he thought, and stood there in the rain, looking at what took his breath away.

You just keep getting better and better, Marleen- your imagery and symbolism - wow - talk about taking your  breath away.

Eyebrows, pancakes and black - very interesting! I can't wait to see what  you brilliant drabblers come up with!

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain